U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:40 PM

407 posts, read 213,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
L21 isn't specifically Irish though. Having L21 doesn't mean you are Irish. If you were M222 then that would be odd for a Northern Italian but L21 can be found in many European countries but is mostly concentrated in the northwest of Europe.

If you had further dna testing I bet you wouldn't be one of the subclades prominent in Ireland.

Being close to the French border could also be a factor in your ydna. France has quite high levels of L21.
So, in other words, we are celts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 PM

4,271 posts, read 2,383,460 times
I'm 25% (west) Irish and my mitochondria haplogroup comes straight from Kerry, very possibly Dingle peninsula, but it is K1A3A which is quite rare (1 in 520). A number of folks I've connected with who have that haplogroup also have Irish maternal lines. Others seem to trace their ancestry to Eastern Europe and Russia.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 AM

1,255 posts, read 389,046 times
Quote:
Yes Ancestry has a larger database and they also have Genetic Communities (GC). They only do autosomal dna tests.

https://dna-explained.com/2017/03/28...c-communities/

23andMe will give your ydna and mtdna as well as autosomal tests. They also will give you health reports and genetic traits.

It depends what you want out of the test.

Thanks Bernie . I guess doing both when affordable would be best. But, being female, how could that test give me ydna results? I thought that was only for males.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding . Maybe the females would get the mtdna, and the males would get the ydna, and both would get the autosomal. Is that correct? I know this is stupidly basic to you guys, but that is where I am .

Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 AM

But being a newbie I may actually have something of interest to contribute. Or maybe you've seen it already.

The Irish have a very high incidence of Hemochromatosis/iron overload. To make a long story short they have tracked down that this may have come from the Danish Vikings. Since they had long term settlements, and did more than pillaging, and plundering.

About The Disease - Genetic Ties To Viking Ancestry - Hemochromatosis DNA

If you search for Hemochromatosis and the Irish, or Celts you will find lots of interesting stuff.

They have a test for it to see if you are a carrier, or have it outright from 2 parents. It is deadly, but giving blood will bring your levels down. There is nothing wrong with the blood, but don't mention it to the people who take your blood, or they may reject it. Then you have to pay to have it taken, and they throw it away which is wasteful. It's your storage iron that would be high. Your body doesn't know what to do with it so it stores it in your organs which is not good. Giving blood is a good idea anyway.

Search results for High incidence of Hemochromatosis in the Irish:

https://www.google.com/search?q=high...utf-8&oe=utf-8

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 12-11-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,513,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks Bernie . I guess doing both when affordable would be best. But, being female, how could that test give me ydna results? I thought that was only for males.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding . Maybe the females would get the mtdna, and the males would get the ydna, and both would get the autosomal. Is that correct? I know this is stupidly basic to you guys, but that is where I am .
Males would get both mtdna and ydna but yes as a female you would get mtdna on 23andMe. Your father or a brother would have to be tested to find out your family's ydna line.

Yes if your interested do both tests because they can give slightly different results and also have different benefits. Ancestry has the largest database and also Genetic Communities while 23andMe will give you your mtdna as well as autosomal. With 23andMe you can just get the genetic testing for a bit cheaper if you don't want to get the health and traits reports.

The very first dna test I did was with 23andMe and I got my brother tested to find out the ydna line.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,513,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Well L21 is very high in Celtic populations. I'd say it was originally spread with Bell Beakers though.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Males would get both mtdna and ydna but yes as a female you would get mtdna on 23andMe. Your father or a brother would have to be tested to find out your family's ydna line.

Yes if your interested do both tests because they can give slightly different results and also have different benefits. Ancestry has the largest database and also Genetic Communities while 23andMe will give you your mtdna as well as autosomal. With 23andMe you can just get the genetic testing for a bit cheaper if you don't want to get the health and traits reports.

The very first dna test I did was with 23andMe and I got my brother tested to find out the ydna line.
Alrighty then, that makes my path clearer. I have no male relatives left alive so I am stuck in that area. But it will be good the know what I can, thanks .

Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM

809 posts, read 669,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Well L21 predates the Celts, even what are called loosely Proto-Celts now. L21 is about 4500 years old, so about 2500 BC.

What we can most likely say is that the Celts contained many L21 and many L21 are Celt descended. Which is why it's often called the Atlantic Celtic haplogroup since much of it's expansion best fits with the Celt/Proto-Celt expansion. Like you my maternal uncle is L21 and descends from that "Atlantic Celtic" haplogroup. I descend from U152 (also known as S28, illustrated in that map you linked) basically a cousin haplogroup to L21 (both are R1b -> P312) which is often called the "Italo Celtic" branch (hotspotting in Northern Italy and being relatively common across much of France).

L21 is usually more associated with the Insular celtic groups such as Ireland and certain areas of Britain with U152 being more associated with Continental Celts around France, Germany, and Italy. With that said these are very very old haplogroups and the descendants spread far and wide. My own paternal ancestry likely went through England where U152 isn't particularly common (though not completely rare either, ranging from 0-5% for most and 10-15% in a couple South Eastern regions). Basically L21 Celts arrived in Britain and then Ireland first and later U152 came through (possibly through Gaul or Belgic Gaul). Though there are many stories of how these groups expanded since they are sold old and there certainly were L21 and U152 that weren't Celt.

I'll add with the right testing you can map your haplogroup well below L21 and it might give you more info. Being 4500 years old L21 is only so useful.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 PM

407 posts, read 213,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Well L21 predates the Celts, even what are called loosely Proto-Celts now. L21 is about 4500 years old, so about 2500 BC.

What we can most likely say is that the Celts contained many L21 and many L21 are Celt descended. Which is why it's often called the Atlantic Celtic haplogroup since much of it's expansion best fits with the Celt/Proto-Celt expansion. Like you my maternal uncle is L21 and descends from that "Atlantic Celtic" haplogroup. I descend from U152 (also known as S28, illustrated in that map you linked) basically a cousin haplogroup to L21 (both are R1b -> P312) which is often called the "Italo Celtic" branch (hotspotting in Northern Italy and being relatively common across much of France).

L21 is usually more associated with the Insular celtic groups such as Ireland and certain areas of Britain with U152 being more associated with Continental Celts around France, Germany, and Italy. With that said these are very very old haplogroups and the descendants spread far and wide. My own paternal ancestry likely went through England where U152 isn't particularly common (though not completely rare either, ranging from 0-5% for most and 10-15% in a couple South Eastern regions). Basically L21 Celts arrived in Britain and then Ireland first and later U152 came through (possibly through Gaul or Belgic Gaul). Though there are many stories of how these groups expanded since they are sold old and there certainly were L21 and U152 that weren't Celt.

I'll add with the right testing you can map your haplogroup well below L21 and it might give you more info. Being 4500 years old L21 is only so useful.
Very interesting..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or