U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
just a guess, but I say she is not Native American. My daughter and her friend disagree with me. They think she is native American, and they didn't read your previous post. I just asked them to get a non biased opinion and they cam e up with NA on their own. .. thank you for sharing the picture--very cool.

I know DNA is randomly passed down generation to generation. I would like to know at what point the DNA is no longer there to pass on. I also had a rumor that there was Native American on one side of my family. Ancestry found none, My Heritage DNA said 1.2%. I thought I read somewhere that the low numbers could be false positives, and referred to as "noise".
It could be noise, it may not be. If you haven't already downloaded your raw file to GEDmatch, I would suggest doing so. They have dozens of admix utilities you can use to estimate your genetic heritage. Any one service can miss even big chunks of your ethnic heritage, so the more the better.

The problem in my case is that at this point several different branches of the family have taken DNA tests, and none of us are showing even a trace. The odds any one person doesn't inherit enough SNPs to "show"on an ethnicity test from 5 or 6 generations back is possible........but none of us inheriting it? That makes it more likely the DNA was never there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,913,065 times
Quote:
just a guess, but I say she is not Native American.
I agree after seeing the photo. They look very German/European to me. My grandmother was Irish and made lace that she would sew on her dresses to fancy them up. If you google pictures of folk-style clothing from Europe you see lots of hand work like what she has on her dress.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 PM

4,016 posts, read 968,927 times
Quote:
just a guess, but i say she is not native american. My daughter and her friend disagree with me. They think she is native american, and they didn't read your previous post. I just asked them to get a non biased opinion and they cam e up with na on their own. .. Thank you for sharing the picture--very cool.

I know dna is randomly passed down generation to generation. I would like to know at what point the dna is no longer there to pass on. I also had a rumor that there was native american on one side of my family. Ancestry found none, my heritage dna said 1.2%. I thought i read somewhere that the low numbers could be false positives, and referred to as "noise".
yes probably up the mothers fathers line would be my guess. And dna will not see that . They can't see it.
They can only find native dna ( if it is in their computer models as native american only, which means they have to be one of the mexican american male lines. To be recogniozed. Which means canaaniteand sometimes q ) will they find it . But only if it is up the fahers line or the mothers fathers line.

Now the new world is female clans and had nothing to do with the men and their race or their DNA.
But the Europeans see race and makeup history ... Race it is only about the men's genes. Two males lines are all that create our "race" , and they will only see those two direct male lines and recognize nothing else. And not see any other history except those two male lines. That is the helex , of two men . GOD'S CREATION SO BEAUTIFULLY SIMPLISTIC.. . Your father and your mothers father. So shallow IT IS , so ignorant OF THEM .
But the new world is really women's and womens clans systems ASK ANY OLD "PURE BLOODED" WOMAN WHO KNOWS HER CLAN.. .... . Not mens and not their races..

Old 12-28-2017, 02:48 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I agree after seeing the photo. They look very German/European to me. My grandmother was Irish and made lace that she would sew on her dresses to fancy them up. If you google pictures of folk-style clothing from Europe you see lots of hand work like what she has on her dress.
Thanks for the comment. It is a very pretty dress on a very pretty woman. I am not surprised she still carries mystique all these years later.

I'll look up European lace work........anything diagnostic in the stitch pattern that could place her geographically would be great.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,321,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

https://imgur.com/a/Pt03Z

Ok, this should work.

1. The blur in Mary's lap is my great-great-grandfather as a baby. He moved around too much and blurred the photo.
2. Is her hair long and black? Or is she wearing a veil?

Any guesses or suggestions on whether or not her dress is some sort of ethnic costume would be very helpful. Again, family lore claims she was adopted. Mary allegedly told some of her grandkids she was a Shawnee Indian, her baptismal records say Armenian, her parents were German so far as I know.

DNA testing of my mother (her great-great-granddaugther) shows trace regions of Iberia, Europe South, and South Asia, all regions for which we have no known ancestors. Many of her descendents of taken various DNA tests, and to my knowledge, we have all come up empty on Native American markers.

Thanks!
DNA testing often reveals hidden family secrets and there are always surprises waiting. I've found out a number of things which turned my family tree upside down.

Here are a few theories to consider:

1) She was not native American but of Greek descent and for some reason she liked their style of clothing, etc.

2) It was not uncommon for settlers in America to leave the towns and join native tribes because the lifestyle was considered more harmonious, etc. So, she could be of Greek/Armenian descent, ended up going native with a tribe, and considered herself part of that tribe for the rest of her life.

3) Something completely different!

Old 12-28-2017, 06:13 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,038,442 times
My family and I went to a Native American POW-wow thing in Arizona in the early 90s. There’s a picture of me with traditionaly dressed native Americans. I sure hope my great grandchildren don’t find that picture and assume I’m bative American because there’s one picture of me with Native americans. With that said, gedmatch says Im 1.2% Amerindian; which I have traced back to the early 27th century in New York.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:16 PM

488 posts, read 596,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
yes probably up the mothers fathers line would be my guess. And dna will not see that . They can't see it.
They can only find native dna ( if it is in their computer models as native american only, which means they have to be one of the mexican american male lines. To be recogniozed. Which means canaaniteand sometimes q ) will they find it . But only if it is up the fahers line or the mothers fathers line.

Now the new world is female clans and had nothing to do with the men and their race or their DNA.
But the Europeans see race and makeup history ... Race it is only about the men's genes. Two males lines are all that create our "race" , and they will only see those two direct male lines and recognize nothing else. And not see any other history except those two male lines. That is the helex , of two men . GOD'S CREATION SO BEAUTIFULLY SIMPLISTIC.. . Your father and your mothers father. So shallow IT IS , so ignorant OF THEM .
But the new world is really women's and womens clans systems ASK ANY OLD "PURE BLOODED" WOMAN WHO KNOWS HER CLAN.. .... . Not mens and not their races..

I'm not sure I'm following you with this post...but I will tell you this;
When Columbus settled in Puerto Rico, the native people were the Taino Indians. The Taino Indian men were basically wiped out by Christopher Columbus and crew. Leaving only the indigenous women. That DNA from these women is still passed on today.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:22 PM

488 posts, read 596,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It could be noise, it may not be. If you haven't already downloaded your raw file to GEDmatch, I would suggest doing so. They have dozens of admix utilities you can use to estimate your genetic heritage. Any one service can miss even big chunks of your ethnic heritage, so the more the better.

The problem in my case is that at this point several different branches of the family have taken DNA tests, and none of us are showing even a trace. The odds any one person doesn't inherit enough SNPs to "show"on an ethnicity test from 5 or 6 generations back is possible........but none of us inheriting it? That makes it more likely the DNA was never there at all.
Thanks for reminding me of Gedmatch. I uploaded my raw data a while ago, but I was confused on how to use the site.
I went back on tonight and used the MDLP calculator and got 2.3% Amerindian and 1.3% with the Eurogenes calculator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy