U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:31 AM

1,096 posts, read 362,408 times

Advertisements

I'm probably too late to the party ) If you already had the interview. . . Shucks!

I interviewed a few relatives. I also wrote letters with questions. Got a few on tape.

I'll start with my grandfather. He gave his full name, birthdate, and place, and his parents names. Any dates or places or where they were from. Then he listed his siblings in birth order, dates, and places. He talked about his dads work, life growing up, why he was named his name, and family history.

Then he talked about certain things that impacted him. He served in WWI. He said why he went out of all his sibiligs and him being the youngest son. He talked about how that experience impacted his life, he dropped out of the service and never wanted to be in it again. How he met his first wife at a watermelon party. How he felt too old to return to college and always worked but never made a lot of money.

He talked about sports and how his love of Lacrosse from an early age saw him thru the years into refereeing long into his middle years. How he almost made the Olympic team in the '30's. How he ended up in the Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

He mentioned his church. He talked about WWII and how he re-enlisted and drove from Baltimore, MD to San Pedro, CA. How that decision meant the family and his adult children would settle in CA.

He gave an overview of the depression and how the economy cycles back and forth and his thoughts. He also brought up politics because it seems to be a topic and he felt very strongly about issues and how they impacted him.

I never went over photos with my grandfather. I have other family members discuss them. But he did answer my letters and was so upbeat, even into his 80's. He was spry and fit and mentally aware.

I think I got a bit off there but hopefully will give some ideas of what topics will come up and how to expand on them. She may also have some papers there, records that she has kept safe because she treasures them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy