Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

somewhere into cyberspace. I submitted that old software back in 1999. My computer crashed and my husband copied it onto a disk. With our last move, that disk been lost.

Years ago I found my tree on Genealogy.com, but did not want to pay to retrieve my own tree. Now when I went on their site, it says this tree is no longer available.

I could kick myself that I did not put my tree up on the LDS Family Search. Fortunately, I had the foresight decades ago to print out a copy of it which is a good 50 pages long for my and my husband's family. I spent DECADES researching this the old fashioned way.

I have additional information collected over the years, handwritten on pieces of paper. Don't know how to proceed from here. I am not thrilled about having to retype all this info, and to WHERE?

Don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 12:24 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I suggest you buy a new copy of Family Tree Maker and start entering info. Also if you are LDS you get free access to Ancestry.com which can also be of great help. Sorry this has happened to you, good luck recovering.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
On the Internet there is a site called "The Wayback Machine" at Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

I've never used it myself, but I know others have used it to restore some lost web pages.

Try it, and/or maybe some one you know could help you navigate it.

Good Luck.............

Old 01-01-2018, 05:06 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
somewhere into cyberspace. I submitted that old software back in 1999. My computer crashed and my husband copied it onto a disk. With our last move, that disk been lost.

Years ago I found my tree on Genealogy.com, but did not want to pay to retrieve my own tree. Now when I went on their site, it says this tree is no longer available.

I could kick myself that I did not put my tree up on the LDS Family Search. Fortunately, I had the foresight decades ago to print out a copy of it which is a good 50 pages long for my and my husband's family. I spent DECADES researching this the old fashioned way.

I have additional information collected over the years, handwritten on pieces of paper. Don't know how to proceed from here. I am not thrilled about having to retype all this info, and to WHERE?

Don't know what to do.
What LDS site are you talking about? Family search? IT wouldn't help you as you can't save a GEDcom file from there, only upload them. It's the one thing I dislike about the site

I just looked, genealogy.com is the same site one of my son's cousins has a tree on. Have you tried googling relative names to maybe bring up the tree? That's how I get the cousins tree to come up there. If you do happen to find the tree, hopefully you'll be able to make an account to recover it. You also may want to see if someone copied your tree to Ancestry, my heritage, family search or wiki tree because it's possible it was. My son's cousins tree has been copied by multiple people, including errors..

I hope you find the disk. I'm surprised you haven't backed the floppy up to a CD. You wouldn't happen to have that old computer or it's hard drive would you?

Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What LDS site are you talking about? Family search? IT wouldn't help you as you can't save a GEDcom file from there, only upload them. It's the one thing I dislike about the site

I just looked, genealogy.com is the same site one of my son's cousins has a tree on. Have you tried googling relative names to maybe bring up the tree? That's how I get the cousins tree to come up there. If you do happen to find the tree, hopefully you'll be able to make an account to recover it. You also may want to see if someone copied your tree to Ancestry, my heritage, family search or wiki tree because it's possible it was. My son's cousins tree has been copied by multiple people, including errors..

I hope you find the disk. I'm surprised you haven't backed the floppy up to a CD. You wouldn't happen to have that old computer or it's hard drive would you?
Apparently, it is on Ancestry. Just doing a free search putting in my Dad's name, I came up with my Mom's, Grandparents, etc., names. Under children, it said private information, since obviously I am still alive.

So if I subscribe to Ancestry to get my own submission back. then what? The most I can do is print it out, again. What good does that do me, or my children, and now grandchildren, in the future? Are we supposed to subscribe to Ancestry for the rest our lives?

Yes, it was put on a CD but husband says it cannot be read because we do not have the original (very old) Family Tree Maker Software.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:26 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Apparently, it is on Ancestry. Just doing a free search putting in my Dad's name, I came up with my Mom's, Grandparents, etc., names. Under children, it said private information, since obviously I am still alive.

So if I subscribe to Ancestry to get my own submission back. then what? The most I can do is print it out, again. What good does that do me, or my children, and now grandchildren, in the future? Are we supposed to subscribe to Ancestry for the rest our lives?

Yes, it was put on a CD but husband says it cannot be read because we do not have the original (very old) Family Tree Maker Software.
I'm not familiar with family tree maker, call the company.

As for the tree on ancestry, you have to log in under the name it was uploaded with. If you don't have access to the email, contact their support. Once you log in and reclaim your tree you can see my family tree tip thread to back it up to your computer.

Family tree and DNA general instructions

Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:

You do not need to subscribe to Ancestry to access your tree. Once you figure out your login details and access your tree, you can either continue to work on it there (again, no subscription is necessary for the tree - you only need a subscription if you want to access Ancestry's records), or you can download your gedcom and work on it in other software/website. If you purchase the latest Family Tree Maker or RootsMagic, you can sync your tree between those programs and your Ancestry tree (again, subscription is not necessary for syncing, only the purchase of FTM or RM).

Quote:
There are ways to update the file so it is compatible with current Family Tree Maker software: https://support.mackiev.com/235807-O...ily-Tree-Maker

Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:

Take a look at this FTM Help page, and see if it can help you with reading, and converting, the CD.

https://support.mackiev.com/235807-O...ily-Tree-Maker

Good Luck...........

Old 01-01-2018, 06:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Are you sure it was Ancestry.com you uploaded it too? I'm wondering if someone suggested that to you because FTM used to be owned by Ancestry, and the tree sync between them still exists, but there was no sync in 1999, and in fact Ancestry didn't even own FTM until the 2008 version (released in 2007). In 1999, it looks like FTM was owned by The Learning Company (Mattel Incorporated). Unfortunately, without knowing where you uploaded it to, it's difficult to help you track it down, so I would look into getting the old file you have on CD converted so you can use it with a current version of FTM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy