U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM

8,100 posts, read 4,451,704 times

Advertisements

does ancestry dna matches only use dna infor or does it get into your family tree.

reason why, about two hundred years back I lose the surname trail but in the matches other trees that I match goes pass the 200 years. I think about 200 year back, Im the bastard child so I wonder if its being followed on the females side of my surname.

my y dna does not match my surname but ancestry still pulling my surname in other trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM

489 posts, read 597,124 times
They do not use your family tree for DNA matches. If you have a DNA match, it is matched through DNA and not your tree. They do use your tree to put you in DNA circles with your DNA matches that have a common ancestor in their tree.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 AM

8,222 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
does ancestry dna matches only use dna infor or does it get into your family tree.
You share DNA with everyone on your match list. The family trees are only used to see potentially where that shared DNA comes from.

Quote:
reason why, about two hundred years back I lose the surname trail but in the matches other trees that I match goes pass the 200 years. I think about 200 year back, Im the bastard child so I wonder if its being followed on the females side of my surname.

my y dna does not match my surname but ancestry still pulling my surname in other trees.
There are many possible explanations for this. It could just be coincidence, especially if it's even a somewhat common surname. Just because someone has the same surname in their tree doesn't necessarily mean that's how you relate.

As for your Y-DNA not matching your surname, this could be the result of a non-paternity event, or it could just be that your Y matches share an ancestor from before the surnames were established, therefore meaning different descendant lines picked up different surnames. If you know it was a NPE, depending how far back the NPE was (200 years? I'm not clear if that's what you're saying), you could still expect to have cousins also descended from that NPE, meaning they would have the same surname as you.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 PM

8,100 posts, read 4,451,704 times
around 1850. my relative in a household with others, big family. my y dna does not match other relatives from that same household. Not even close. my y dna has not a single hit with my surname, but I got thousands of matches with another surname. ( im friends with another same surname, that can trace back to same household, his y and mine are totally different)

so there a NPE, a bastard child, an adoption. a unwed mother keeping her madian name, ok

so now on ancestry, Im getting hundred of matches that included trees that go past 1850 with my surname.
so adoption is out.

my theory is that since ancestry is not a Y test then its following the female side

FYI on the y test, Im at 111 markers and big y , over the last 10 years not a single y match on my surname.

so my question is, if i never posted a tree, would i still get those matches

Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
around 1850. my relative in a household with others, big family. my y dna does not match other relatives from that same household. Not even close. my y dna has not a single hit with my surname, but I got thousands of matches with another surname. ( im friends with another same surname, that can trace back to same household, his y and mine are totally different)

so there a NPE, a bastard child, an adoption. a unwed mother keeping her madian name, ok
Maybe, but like I say, there's still going to be people descended from the same event with that surname and like your tree, they will have trace the surname beyond 1850.

Quote:
so now on ancestry, Im getting hundred of matches that included trees that go past 1850 with my surname.
And some of those might just be coincidence and your shared DNA with them might be from a totally different branch. Do ALL those hundreds of matches descend from the same ancestor? Or do they just have that surname in their tree? You can't assume a shared surname means that's where your shared ancestry is, unless it's a rare name.

Quote:
my theory is that since ancestry is not a Y test then its following the female side
AncestryDNA is an autosomal DNA test - that means it includes DNA from your autosomal chromosomes 1-22 and the sex chromosome (23). Autosomal DNA is inherited from all your ancestors, male and female.

Quote:
so my question is, if i never posted a tree, would i still get those matches
Yes. There are plenty of people on AncestryDNA who have never added a tree and they come up as DNA matches to me (and me to them). Have you not noticed the amount of people on your DNA match list who don't have trees?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM

134 posts, read 121,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Yes. There are plenty of people on AncestryDNA who have never added a tree and they come up as DNA matches to me (and me to them). Have you not noticed the amount of people on your DNA match list who don't have trees?
This is so annoying, but if you upload your raw data to GEDmatch and use their subscription option tools you can see what actual shared DNA your matches have (not just the amount) so you have an idea how you are related.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinska View Post
This is so annoying, but if you upload your raw data to GEDmatch and use their subscription option tools you can see what actual shared DNA your matches have (not just the amount) so you have an idea how you are related.
There are even fewer people on Gedmatch who upload a gedcom (tree) in my experience. So while Gedmatch does have a chromosome browser and you can see who matches you on certain segments, that itself won't tell you how you are related. You still need the family trees to identify a shared ancestor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or