U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Has anyone with an Ancestry subscription looked for Janos Pattantyus Abraham's passenger manifest?

We might learn when he came to the U.S., nearest relative left behind, and who he was going to in the U.S.

I searched FamilySearch.org without success.
I looked for it on Ancestry.com but didn't find anything for him. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist, of course.

His death certificate says he enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1951, so that means he probably arrived before then.

The other thing I haven't found is his enlistment record. That's a little unusual as usually that will turn right up.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-18-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I know it can sometimes take awhile to be buried at Arlington. I'm not sure how long the wait was in 1955, but my children's pediatrician in Virginia died last year and was to be buried in Arlington. The wait was a few months until the burial could took place.
That makes sense. His death certificate says he was still a Hungarian citizen at the time of his death (even though he was in the U.S. Army), so that may have also added to the delay being buried at Arlington.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM

4,541 posts, read 5,834,319 times
I haven't tried to find immigration records, but I did find another couple tidbits, which at least helps answer a question...

The first attached pic is from Bristol, PA from January 1953

The second one is from Bristol, PA as well and is from March 1959

There is obviously a connection between Ilma and Janos, no doubt.

I will have to look for more info on Ilma later and see if I can find anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting, and wondering about this entry I found-the_bristol_daily_courier_sat__jan_3__1953_.jpg   Interesting, and wondering about this entry I found-the_bristol_daily_courier_tue__mar_3__1959_.jpg  

Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM

RosieSD, the record you found is for Ilma, the L in her name could be misconstrued for an R, but I see it's an L. If you note, it has the same info of the people she was staying with mentioned in the newspaper.

Given the date of birth, I would say this was Janos' mother. In looking, I did find a Ilma that died in 1993 in Canada, but no age is given, so not 100% sure it's one of the same...yet.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:42 PM

9,206 posts, read 20,221,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Good thought or the Ellis Island site
Searched statue of liberty he's not there. Neither is my dad

Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I haven't tried to find immigration records, but I did find another couple tidbits, which at least helps answer a question...

The first attached pic is from Bristol, PA from January 1953

The second one is from Bristol, PA as well and is from March 1959

There is obviously a connection between Ilma and Janos, no doubt.

I will have to look for more info on Ilma later and see if I can find anything else.
Great find!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Great find!
Thanks Sue!

Ilma died in Montreal - other than that entry, I'm not finding anything, but you know me, I'll dig. Why?Sometimes I wonder why!!!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks Sue!

Ilma died in Montreal - other than that entry, I'm not finding anything, but you know me, I'll dig. Why?Sometimes I wonder why!!!
Because you have a huge heart!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Because you have a huge heart!
Ditto!!! And...I have too much time on my hands to boot. The thrill of the hunt is fun too!

Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
RosieSD, the record you found is for Ilma, the L in her name could be misconstrued for an R, but I see it's an L. If you note, it has the same info of the people she was staying with mentioned in the newspaper.

Given the date of birth, I would say this was Janos' mother. In looking, I did find a Ilma that died in 1993 in Canada, but no age is given, so not 100% sure it's one of the same...yet.
Fantastic sleuthing, Eldemila. I know you already noticed this but for those who may not have been able to access Ilma's travel record from 1959 on Ancestry, on her visa application she listed the Vandeventer's address as the address where she'd be staying while on the U.S.

Since the Vandeventer's had her stay with them after Janos' death, we can assume that she did, in fact, learn about her son's death and how he died.

I keep going back to the notation that she was "stateless" when she made that trip in 1959. Add that to these facts:

- Janos was still a hungarian citizen when he died even though he was in the U.S. Army
- Janos worked in Army intelligence
- In 1955, when he died, the U.S. was encouraging Hungarian rebels to rebel against the Soviets
- Someone in the military made a point of saying that Ilma should not be contacted under any circumstances because of living "behind the iron curtain."
- After the rebels did revolt in 1956, the U.S didn't actually come to their aid, and the Soviets executed many of those who were suspected of participating in or sympathizing with the rebels

Ilma then turns up "stateless." Obviously, she fled Hungary very soon after the rebellion, no doubt that is connected to Janos' (her son) activities in the U.S. Army.

Also, possibly related is that newspaper clipping I found from 1959 about Janos Abraham being executed by the soviets for his role. From his death certificate, we know that our Janos' father's name was Janos too.

Hmmm, I don't want to tinfoil hat this, but all of this does make me wonder about that train crash just a bit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or