U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM

5,703 posts, read 2,712,042 times

Advertisements

I'd like to learn more about Joseph Vandeventer. What was the connection between him and Janos and Ilma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:25 PM

OK, some items about Joseph G. Vandeventer:

Middle name Gunther
born 12 Oct 1915 in Illinois
died 15 Oct 1986 in Sun City, AZ

was in the military in WWII - don't know for how long

His obit is on newspapers.com but I don't have a subscription. The little I can see says he was a "retired General Motors industrial relations employee."

His parents names were Agnes (nee Gunther) and Homer. He had brothers Fenton Ross, David, and Kirk. And his wife's name was Eudora (nee Hudson).

So, how did he get connected with Janos and Ilma?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 19,178,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Ditto!!! And...I have too much time on my hands to boot. The thrill of the hunt is fun too!
I wish I had more time. I had many relatives named Janos so it tugs at my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Fantastic sleuthing, Eldemila. I know you already noticed this but for those who may not have been able to access Ilma's travel record from 1959 on Ancestry, on her visa application she listed the Vandeventer's address as the address where she'd be staying while on the U.S.

Since the Vandeventer's had her stay with them after Janos' death, we can assume that she did, in fact, learn about her son's death and how he died.

I keep going back to the notation that she was "stateless" when she made that trip in 1959. Add that to these facts:

- Janos was still a hungarian citizen when he died even though he was in the U.S. Army
- Janos worked in Army intelligence
- In 1955, when he died, the U.S. was encouraging Hungarian rebels to rebel against the Soviets
- Someone in the military made a point of saying that Ilma should not be contacted under any circumstances because of living "behind the iron curtain."
- After the rebels did revolt in 1956, the U.S didn't actually come to their aid, and the Soviets executed many of those who were suspected of participating in or sympathizing with the rebels

Ilma then turns up "stateless." Obviously, she fled Hungary very soon after the rebellion, no doubt that is connected to Janos' (her son) activities in the U.S. Army.

Also, possibly related is that newspaper clipping I found from 1959 about Janos Abraham being executed by the soviets for his role. From his death certificate, we know that our Janos' father's name was Janos too.

Hmmm, I don't want to tinfoil hat this, but all of this does make me wonder about that train crash just a bit....
Horrible time for my family. My dad wouldn't talk about any of it and refused to go back home ever again. He was afraid he'd never be allowed back.

I also wondered about the crash. Who was he with if he was a passenger?

Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 PM

I just sent the thread to my Hungarian neighbor if she has time. I don't know if maybe she learned about Janos Sr or what I think is his family in school

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-18-2018 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,470,340 times
Quote:
I'd like to learn more about Joseph Vandeventer. What was the connection between him and Janos and Ilma?

Yes, I also wonder how Janos & Ilma from Hungary became acquainted with the Vandeventer family in Pennsylvania?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,470,340 times
Quote:
I looked for it on Ancestry.com but didn't find anything for him. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist, of course.

His death certificate says he enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1951, so that means he probably arrived before then.

The other thing I haven't found is his enlistment record. That's a little unusual as usually that will turn right up.

His name could be spelled wrong on the passenger manifest, or input incorrectly into an index.

Or, he entered the U.S. under another name?

Could Janos have started working with the U.S. Army while still in Europe, and come to the U.S. on a troop ship?

Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
If you are really intrigued you might contact Megan Smolenyak on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/megansmolenyak/ She is a noted genealogist and she does answer very quickly any questions you might have. I have messaged her a couple of times and she responded. She does a lot of finding US Soldiers next of kin when the bodies have been returned to the US after many many years.
Have you asked Megan for help or do you plan to attend some point?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you asked Megan for help or do you plan to attend some point?
Stupid auto correct. That should say or do you plan to at some point? Lol

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
OK, some items about Joseph G. Vandeventer:

Middle name Gunther
born 12 Oct 1915 in Illinois
died 15 Oct 1986 in Sun City, AZ

was in the military in WWII - don't know for how long

His obit is on newspapers.com but I don't have a subscription. The little I can see says he was a "retired General Motors industrial relations employee."

His parents names were Agnes (nee Gunther) and Homer. He had brothers Fenton Ross, David, and Kirk. And his wife's name was Eudora (nee Hudson).

So, how did he get connected with Janos and Ilma?
He has a tree started on family search. I added his wife and brother Fenton. Is Ross Fenton's middle name or is that another brother?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
His name could be spelled wrong on the passenger manifest, or input incorrectly into an index.

Or, he entered the U.S. under another name?

Could Janos have started working with the U.S. Army while still in Europe, and come to the U.S. on a troop ship?
That's an intriguing possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy