U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,914,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldemila View Post
can you even imagine someone from the vd family just googling their name and coming upon this thread and wondering wtf!?!

rofl !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I took a look at the Find A Grave record for her. It has Janos linked to her as her child. That isn't conclusive proof that it is his mother (I've found other links on Find a Grave that turned out to be in error) but someone at some point put the two together.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/109041344
I linked Janos find a grave the other day. If it turns out not to be her, I'll ask to unlink.

I worked on the VD family yesterday asking them to be linked. Not finding Joseph

Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I linked Janos find a grave the other day. If it turns out not to be her, I'll ask to unlink.

I worked on the VD family yesterday asking them to be linked. Not finding Joseph
Joseph VD died in Sun City, Maricopa County, Arizona in October, 1986.

He could be buried in Arizona, or he could have been cremated.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 2,713,293 times
I have sent a message (via the ancestry message system) to someone who has the Vandeventers in their tree and who I suspect may be directly related to one of Joseph and Eudora's daughters.

It's a teaser-style message, not giving out all the info from this thread, but hopefully just enough to pique their interest! I discussed it via DM with OP (Eldemila) before sending it.

The tree owner is not a daily visitor to the ancestry site, so it may be a while before there's a reply. If ever!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I have sent a message (via the ancestry message system) to someone who has the Vandeventers in their tree and who I suspect may be directly related to one of Joseph and Eudora's daughters.

It's a teaser-style message, not giving out all the info from this thread, but hopefully just enough to pique their interest! I discussed it via DM with OP (Eldemila) before sending it.

The tree owner is not a daily visitor to the ancestry site, so it may be a while before there's a reply. If ever!

Good job! Keep us posted if you get a response.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Did you get my reply?
There are family on family search too. Also I haven't found a death record for Eudora.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 2,713,293 times
According to a US Social Security Death Index record (on ancestry), Eudora H Vandeventer died 22 June 2002. Her last residence had been 83574 Surprise, Maricopa, Arizona. Her SSN was issued in Pennsylvania in 1963.

She was born 13 January 1915 in Detroit, Michigan to Wallace B Hudson and Edith J Merrill (from US Social Security Applications and Claims index).

Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Do we know if Joseph Vandeventer served in the U.S. military in Europe during WWII?

On the 1940 census Joseph is 24 years old with a wife (Eudora) and one year old daughter.

Would Joseph have been drafted?

Could Joseph have met Ilma & son Janos during WWII?

Joseph Vanderventer (b. 1915) was just six years older than Janos (b. 1921)

Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Do we know if Joseph Vandeventer served in the U.S. military in Europe during WWII?

Would Joseph have been drafted?

Could Joseph have met Ilma & son Janos during WWII?

Joseph Vanderventer (b. 1915) was just six years older than Janos (b. 1921)

Yes, Ancestry.com has information from Fold3.com showing that Joseph registered for the draft in 1940 (that's how I found out about his brother, who was listed as his next of kin).

I have not been able to track down actual military service records for Joseph yet. Those would be useful if they showed more about the branch of service and what his role was (i.e., did he work in intelligence too). It also would be helpful to know the years he served, as Janos was in the U.S. military in the 1950s, not the 1940s.

But, like you, my hunch is that there is a military connection of some sort (doesn't necessarily have to be that they served together) between Janos and Joseph.

The fact that Joseph and his wife hosted Janos' mother when she visited America also suggests (but of course does not prove) that Joseph may have gotten word to her about Janos' death despite that "do not contact" note on his Arlington burial record.

At the very least, by the time she visited America in 1959 and stayed with the Vandeventer's (their name and address is given on her travel documents), Janos' mother Ilma likely knew about what had happened to Janos.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-25-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, Ancestry.com has information from Fold3.com showing that Joseph registered for the draft in 1940 (that's how I found out about his brother, who was listed as his next of kin).

I have not been able to track down actual military service records for Joseph yet. Those would be useful if they showed more about the branch of service and what his role was (i.e., did he work in intelligence too). It also would be helpful to know the years he served, as Janos was in the U.S. military in the 1950s, not the 1940s.

But, like you, my hunch is that there is a military connection of some sort (doesn't necessarily have to be that they served together) between Janos and Joseph.

The fact that Joseph and his wife hosted Janos' mother when she visited America also suggests (but of course does not prove) that Joseph may have gotten word to her about Janos' death despite that "do not contact" note on his Arlington burial record.

At the very least, by the time she visited America in 1959 and stayed with the Vandeventer's (their name and address is given on her travel documents), Janos' mother Ilma likely knew about what had happened to Janos.

Thanks. Maybe during WWII Janos was in the resistance? Or, was a translator for the US Army? Or, he & his mom were refugees? My guess is that somehow Janos' and Joseph's paths crossed.

Of course, it might be something totally different that introduced Janos to the Vandeventer family. We don't even know if Joseph was in Europe during WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or