U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times

Advertisements

I don't know about my first name other than my mother is Catholic and I had to have a saint's name. My middle name is after my grandmother.

My husband is named for his father's cousin.

My oldest is husband's father's first name and my maiden name for a middle name.

Second child's first name was a favorite for both my husband and I. It was my husband's ggg grandfather. My husband asked me to name names from my great's and so we chose a second name from that.

My daughter's first name is for my gg grandmother and my sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:30 PM

2,276 posts, read 924,043 times
There was some debate about my first name between my parents, ha ha.

My mother wanted to go with a more unique name and my dad wanted to go with a name that would become very, very popular and would date me as a member of the Gen X cohort

My dad won that argument; otherwise I would have been Angelique or Josephina.

My middle name is Anne, for my maternal grandmother.

My sister's name was picked by my mom and is a unique one. Her middle name is the same but is spelled "Ann" because of an error on the birth certificate. She writes on the side and uses a pen name that incorporates the first name of our paternal grandfather.

My brother's name is also fairly common and his middle name comes from my dad's name.

My daughter's name did not follow any naming convention and is a unique name.

And my username here is an amalgamation of my parents' middle names

Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,088,716 times
I am a female and was named after an uncle. His name was feminized for me. I found out later that I am the 6th person in the family to have my name.

My middle name is the same as my mothers.

In my family, we do have a tradition of naming children with a middle name that is a close relative. My daughter's middle name is my favorite aunts given name. My son's middle name is my husband's favorite uncle's given name.

We have many people in both sides of my family who have middle names of older relatives.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM

2,953 posts, read 4,509,126 times
My parents decided to use all "new" names for their children that were not used in the family before. But our middle names all came from family or friends. My brother's middle name was the first name of our grandfather. My sister's middle name was from her unrelated godmother, and my middle name is my father's middle name, which is the surname of one of his grandmothers. Although I didn't know that growing up, I was just told my middle name belonged to a famous 19th-century linguist, which is true, even though he is only distantly related.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM

691 posts, read 755,493 times
Being catholics, in our family you are given a saints name, which is also the name of a living or deceased relative.My great grandfather changed his name from Fridolin Melchoir to Fred.M. Several Georgs in the family which I guess makes sense, since many of my dad's ancestors were in the german military, and St.George was a soldier so maybe he is patron saint of the family. Found some names that repeat like Georg, Apollonia, Maria, Ferdinand, Fridolin, etc. Would love to visit Germany and see the family history book my cousins in Nuremberg have.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM

6,013 posts, read 2,695,607 times
I know one family where every generation for like 7 or 8 the names are flipped. For example, mother is named Edith Ann, daughter is named Ann Edith, then next female child is name Edith Ann.

In any case, my first name is my grandmother's name and my middle name is a derivative of my mother's name. Then they called me by my middle name not to have any confusion.

Not a problem until fast forward to security procedures enacted after 9/11. Since I always used my middle name, when I got married, I changed all my accounts including with social security to my middle name, maiden name, married name.

Now, the state of FL will not give me a driver's license(changing it from another state) because they require my name on my birth cert and social security to match which of course they don't. So, now I have to get a lawyer and legally change my name in order to have my DL reflect the name I want it to.

Ticks me off to no end given that our ancestors flipped their first/middle names like pancakes lol.

Aside from that, I have one line where every generation for 5 or 6 they called one child John and one child Jonathan. Very annoying to research them all. Especially, when people who are not direct members of the line start trying to fit their Johns into the family.

I once saw an article that explained the naming tradition for British Isles folks. Wish I had saved it. Anyone familiar with that?

Last edited by Blondy; 01-25-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,388,567 times
My family is a total 'state of confusion'.

Mother and father both from the south, both Baptists (and generations since the 17th century, Virginia, N. Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky). Myself and my siblings were all born and raised in Chicago and baptized Catholic.

The first, first name that I was given (a recommendation by a 'beloved' sister-in law) my mother later decided she never liked at all (too convoluted to go into) so she changed it.

The 2nd first name I was given is a name that my mother always, always loved and oddly enough a Greek name, as is my middle name, (both changed legally when I was 4).

My husband is Greek (a fluke) and my name is the patron saint of the area in Greece where he was born and raised.

My children have Greek names. My first daughter a unique name I chose, my 2nd for his mother, is the name of a mythological Greek "Goddess", and my sons after husband's father (middle name after my husband in order to identify and trace future generations more easily) and also an Uncle of his (who was not married and without children) murdered during the Greek Civil War, therefore to carry on his name.

Yes, confusing to families on both sides.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 01-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 PM

8,214 posts, read 9,097,318 times
I have one family line that has many of the same names handed down. If it weren't for nicknames, which most of them had, it would be hard to tell who's who. Parents, siblings, uncles, cousins, etc. all with the same names so had to be careful of parentage and birth dates, etc. when researching.

I was named by my mother and given the same middle name as one of her sisters. There have been at least six more females with the same middle name in the last couple of generations, named for me! My own kids each have the middle name of another family member. Oldest son has his dad's middle name, younger son has my brother's middle name, older daughter has mine and younger daughter has an aunt's middle name. I found it interesting that my name means "song of grace" and my daughter's means "beautiful grace". Younger daughter's name means "industrious bee"...and she is! Don't remember what son's names mean. Should look it up again.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:15 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,658,014 times
My middle name is my great grandmother's first name. Each of my kids' middle names is a family name as well.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,311,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

I once saw an article that explained the naming tradition for British Isles folks. Wish I had saved it. Anyone familiar with that?
Not sure if itís based on British tradition, but itís fairly common in the South to name kids after the motherís maiden name, especially sons. The motherís maiden name is often used as a sonís middle name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy