Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:58 PM

25,338 posts, read 16,977,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am very new to all of this DNA stuff. Recently, I got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com and there were a few surprises in the low confidence regions section.

How valid are these percentages? I am not expecting much credibility from the <1% results. How reliable/valid are the results in the 2-5% range? None of these results can be traced to any known relatives from the past 150 years. Would uploading the raw data to GEDMatch provide more information regarding ethnicity? I'm not interested in finding distant family members.
They are not accurate at all. In fact, most of those companies have no interest in refining results. They want your DNA, that's all. Now that they have it they will sell it to drug companies, who will develop drugs, or they will sell it to anyone else they please, like law enforcement. You should not go around believing you have had a DNA analysis for $100.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-fda-thinks/
Quote:
The Personal Genome Service isn’t primarily intended to be a medical device. It is a mechanism meant to be a front end for a massive information-gathering operation against an unwitting public.
So ask yourself: What other information have you given them.....?
Read the article. The founder of 23andme is (was) married to the founder of Google, who makes a fortune by selling information mined from your computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 11:37 PM

11,541 posts, read 12,565,080 times
If someone can figure out my medical problems on a genetic level, more power to them. My kids and I are already participating in medical studies and not anonymously, with full consent. Columbia U. already has my samples. I guess I can add more by trying DNA Land. But I didn't test with 23 and Me and that was not my primary purpose. It was just for fun. Ancestry found a few family matches that were spot on. I had no idea they were in their data base. Most of the low confidence results seem plausible, except for two of them.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I don't agree with you. My results are very similar at Ancestry, DNALand, Wegene, Gedmatch and FTDNA. My results from MyHeritage are out of range, and not accurate, apparently their data base is very limited because is a new company.
It is irrelevant whether you agree with me or not. Your experience doesn't negate the fact that many other people have gotten significantly different results from different companies. In fact as you said above, the results you got from MyHeritage were significantly different from what the other companies reported and stands as evidence that my previous statement is correct.

Here is a few more examples:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47215984-post19.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47290233-post47.html

Old 03-18-2018, 02:44 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,634,149 times
I have felt that going through this wouldn't amount to much and as said, just provides DNA.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 AM

10,932 posts, read 11,659,426 times
Quote:
Ha Ha. The surprise is the locations of these regions. Not very close to each other and I don't think anyone traveled by plane back then.
Humans have been on the move for at least 200 thousand years, or so.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,066,965 times
Mine from Ancestry were right on target. Have to say I was quite impressed with the accuracy of the results.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,799,647 times
Quote:
How valid are these percentages?
Take a look at the ranges around all of the estimates. Bottom line, there's not a lot of certainty to any of the ethnicity report. For all of mine less than 10%, the bottom end of the range is 0%, suggesting those may just be noise.

Ancestry has a pretty good explanation at https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...ity-estimate// "The next level includes Low Confidence Regions. For each of these regions, the possible range includes 0% and does not exceed 15%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence of genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all."

My sister and I both took the AncestryDNA test. The DNA results themselves correctly confirmed a sibling relationship, but our ethnicity estimates varied significantly. That reflects the differences in the DNA between siblings. Perhaps, if you have 5 or 6 siblings, you may be able to reach better conclusions if everyone tests and then try to merge the results in some fashion. The results are interesting, but I don't put much credence in them, beyond the top couple ethnicity percentages.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 AM

661 posts, read 868,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Take a look at the ranges around all of the estimates. Bottom line, there's not a lot of certainty to any of the ethnicity report. For all of mine less than 10%, the bottom end of the range is 0%, suggesting those may just be noise.

Ancestry has a pretty good explanation at https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...ity-estimate// "The next level includes Low Confidence Regions. For each of these regions, the possible range includes 0% and does not exceed 15%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence of genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all."

My sister and I both took the AncestryDNA test. The DNA results themselves correctly confirmed a sibling relationship, but our ethnicity estimates varied significantly. That reflects the differences in the DNA between siblings. Perhaps, if you have 5 or 6 siblings, you may be able to reach better conclusions if everyone tests and then try to merge the results in some fashion. The results are interesting, but I don't put much credence in them, beyond the top couple ethnicity percentages.
Your sisters and brothers are not a "copy" of you. Even twins brothers and twin sisters are not 100% similar to each other, the only humans similar to each others are "clones". And I don't think any laboratory out there is making human clones.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:08 AM

25,338 posts, read 16,977,494 times
Quote:
If someone can figure out my medical problems on a genetic level, more power to them. My kids and I are already participating in medical studies and not anonymously, with full consent. Columbia U. already has my samples. I guess I can add more by trying DNA Land. But I didn't test with 23 and Me and that was not my primary purpose. It was just for fun. Ancestry found a few family matches that were spot on. I had no idea they were in their data base. Most of the low confidence results seem plausible, except for two of them.
Invitae is the leader in actual DNA analysis. They are part of the medical community, and bound by medical standards. They retain your records forever, so if your children need more information 50 years from now, it will be available.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM

36,968 posts, read 40,910,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They are not accurate at all. In fact, most of those companies have no interest in refining results. They want your DNA, that's all. Now that they have it they will sell it to drug companies, who will develop drugs, or they will sell it to anyone else they please, like law enforcement. You should not go around believing you have had a DNA analysis for $100.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-fda-thinks/
So ask yourself: What other information have you given them.....?
Read the article. The founder of 23andme is (was) married to the founder of Google, who makes a fortune by selling information mined from your computer.
What do you mean by "accurate"? The DNA test is accurate. If you test with one of the genealogy services and it gives you a list of people who share part of your DNA, you are related by blood to those people. You share ancestors somewhere in the last few hundred years.

Medical testing also identifies specific genes associated with certain traits or health conditions. The FDA did not ever say that the health test at 23andMe were inaccurate. They contested the direct to consumer marketing aspect and the fact that 23andMe did not follow FDA guidelines.

23andMe asks for permission to use your DNA results for research, and what they are doing is contributing to the genetic knowledge base about many diseases. You may opt out if you wish to and have them destroy your saliva sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is irrelevant whether you agree with me or not. Your experience doesn't negate the fact that many other people have gotten significantly different results from different companies. In fact as you said above, the results you got from MyHeritage were significantly different from what the other companies reported and stands as evidence that my previous statement is correct.
Differences happen due to differences in the databases for different companies and differences in how they categorize their findings. People really hope that DNA will pinpoint which village in Italy their fourth great grandparents came from. It cannot do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy