Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 03:21 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Recently, I discovered that one of my great-grandmothers is really a great-great grandmother. I want to make a change to the family tree but my husband and I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Any help you can give is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
This is how I would do it:

* First, and most importantly of all, bookmark your existing great grandmother’s Facts page

* Then, in your existing great grandmother’s Facts page, delete all the incorrect relationships by clicking on “Edit” in top right hand corner of the page. I assume that means her profile will end up alone with zero relationships

* Then, you need to connect her profile to others in your tree. When you add a relationship, you are given a choice between adding a brand new profile or using an existing profile. You, of course, will select her existing profile.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
This help article explains how to detach and re-attach individuals without deleting them: https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...ships-in-Trees

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This is how I would do it:

* First, and most importantly of all, bookmark your existing great grandmother’s Facts page

* Then, in your existing great grandmother’s Facts page, delete all the incorrect relationships by clicking on “Edit” in top right hand corner of the page. I assume that means her profile will end up alone with zero relationships
No, the edit button does not remove all relationships. The edit button has several options, including "edit relationships". This brings up a screen that gives you the option of removing or adding any given relationship, whether it's just one or multiple ones.

There's not really a need to bookmark any thing - all individuals in your tree, regardless of whether they are "attached" or not, can be accessed from the "list of all people". You won't lose anyone, even if you detach them.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:56 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Thank you both for answering my question! I will definitely use the info in the link posted to edit my tree.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you both for answering my question! I will definitely use the info in the link posted to edit my tree.
First I would back up the tree. If you've never done anything like this before you may want to create a new profile for this great great grandmother; you can add a 1 or 2 in the name until you're done. Attach the correct parents to her if you have them; then edit the wrong profile. Once you're done removing the incorrect people merge the 2 profiles together

I messed someone up on one profile pretty bad when I was 1st starting to edit people. I still have to go back and fix it but of course I'm clueless what was wrong to begin with lol. I had put FIX after their 1st or last name so I knew it needed to be fixed

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-02-2018 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy