U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:49 PM

17,412 posts, read 14,902,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You clearly don't know what you're talking about anyone can upload their raw autosomal DNA file and upload to Gedmatch to compare to other DNA kits. Once you've uploaded you've forfeited you privacy and the company didn't give the police a list of matches anyone who uploads can access a list of their matches up to 2,000 matches. The people that have the above concerns my advice is don't upload your raw DNA file to third party utilities such as Gedmatch. The rest of us who do use them appreciate them and don't need you paranoid folks that are worried about the government or getting caught by the police ****ing it up for us.
What are you talking about? The guy did not upload his DNA ever, the cops went to the company with a decades old DNA sample from zone of his crime scenes, and asked the genealogy company to try to find some similar DNA strands in its database, and they did. Then when they were fairly certain they had a match, they staked out his house and waited till he threw out his trash, then took it and matched the DNA to a cup then arrested him. Read the actual article on the case. They never got his personal DNA from the company, they got strands that indicated familial relationships then went through it all till they were fairly sure it was a blood relatives DNA, then went through THAT persons family tree till they narrowed someone who fit the profile and lived in the areas of the murders.

The article clearly states the company helped them do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM

3,789 posts, read 7,246,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I uploaded my DNA data to Gedmatch in 2013 at no cost (so no credit card or PayPal trail). I just went back to the site to refresh my memory. The ONLY identifying information the site has for me is the name and the email address I provided. Both can be changed by me. I chose not to upload a GEDCOM as I prefer to vet by email first. Thus there is no family tree.

So a court order or subpoena would give ZERO additional information.

(I also noted that deleting my DNA kit is now a menu option.)

All that said, I would be delighted if my DNA info led to the arrest of a serial rapist and murderer, no matter who that might be.
Your identity is not as protected as you would like. Unless you visit websites using a public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc., your IP address can be traced to a physical address and eventually to you.

Even public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc. won't protect your identity. Say you log on to CD from a Starbuck. LE can trace your post to the Starbuck at the exact time it was posted. They can then look at surveillance cameras at that Starbuck to find you.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:03 PM
AFP

6,090 posts, read 3,654,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are you talking about? The guy did not upload his DNA ever, the cops went to the company with a decades old DNA sample from zone of his crime scenes, and asked the genealogy company to try to find some similar DNA strands in its database, and they did. Then when they were fairly certain they had a match, they staked out his house and waited till he threw out his trash, then took it and matched the DNA to a cup then arrested him. Read the actual article on the case. They never got his personal DNA from the company, they got strands that indicated familial relationships then went through it all till they were fairly sure it was a blood relatives DNA, then went through THAT persons family tree till they narrowed someone who fit the profile and lived in the areas of the murders.

I'm talking about this statement. If indeed the company is Gedmatch then the article is misleading.

Quote "The genealogy company gave them a huge list of names that had similar DNA strings and that could be related to him" End Quote

Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM

7,892 posts, read 10,184,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously....privacy issues? When someone posts their info online it is no longer private. When working at a law office FB and all social media posts were being used in cases starting years ago.
Right. There's a statement saying to the people using that DNA site that their DNA is not "private" anymore. I forget actual wording, but it's in the public domain now.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:05 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,004,471 times
Quote:

Where does it say this? I only read:

"Curtis Rogers, a partner with GEDmatch, said he learned about the site's link to the investigation through media reports."

Old 04-27-2018, 04:38 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,495,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Your identity is not as protected as you would like. Unless you visit websites using a public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc., your IP address can be traced to a physical address and eventually to you.

Even public access such as Starbuck, the library, etc. won't protect your identity. Say you log on to CD from a Starbuck. LE can trace your post to the Starbuck at the exact time it was posted. They can then look at surveillance cameras at that Starbuck to find you.
Yes, I know that IP addresses are attached to specific posts on message boards. However, Gedmatch is not a message board. There are no posts. All communications are off-site between users via email. When I accessed Gedmatch earlier today I noticed there were over 500 users online. That’s a lot of IP addresses.

My DNA data is on 4 different sites. I am not concerned about privacy for a number of personal reasons. For example, I don’t have to worry about profiling by a potential employer (I’m retired) or by an insurance company (I have universal health care coverage).

Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 PM

8,198 posts, read 4,487,639 times
Quote:

It does make me concerned about privacy issues

if you dont do the crime, I see no issue with it

Old 04-27-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm talking about this statement. If indeed the company is Gedmatch then the article is misleading.

Quote "The genealogy company gave them a huge list of names that had similar DNA strings and that could be related to him" End Quote
i just read an article that states it was a free genealogy website, I read one yesterday that said otherwise.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if you dont do the crime, I see no issue with it
It’s potential is a lot more than crime, it could be insurance companies looking at your DNA to decide how much to charge you based on diseases you don’t even have yet but might be likely to develop. You can’t just open the door a little bit, it always ends up getting pushed open farther.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:19 PM

580 posts, read 350,432 times
Quote:
i just read an article that states it was a free genealogy website, I read one yesterday that said otherwise.
was Gedmatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy