Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this is true? Why should I keep looking for my ancestor who came from England in the volumes of naturalization records then?
I read on a Philadelphia website that Brits were subjects of the King and they were going to the King's land (America) so no naturalization was necessary. Really????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Wondering if this is true? Why should I keep looking for my ancestor who came from England in the volumes of naturalization records then?
I read on a Philadelphia website that Brits were subjects of the King and they were going to the King's land (America) so no naturalization was necessary. Really????
My grandparents came from England in 1911 and I found their naturalization papers. They had to go through Immigration just like everyone else. Of course, before there was a country with immigration laws, they would have just come here. That would have been the same for anyone from anywhere. The Pilgrims didn't have to get naturalized, lol.

It will depend upon the time period in which your ancestor arrived.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
On my father's side, my ancestor Charles Woolverton came to America from England in 1682 with William Penn on his flagship, the "Welcome". No naturalization for him.

My mother came to America from England after WW 2 and she was naturalized.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
So, he came in 1839, best I can determine. So, no naturalization?

Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Once we were established as a country it would have been different than in colonial days. I never heard that Brits were excused from naturalization. The apparatus for naturalization was a little loose in the early days and people could vote legally if they filed their intent papers but didn't take it any further. They probably considered themselves as citizens in many cases. I would look for the first filing of intent and then maybe final citizenship papers sometime later. It wouldn't have to be in the same state based on some of my ancestors' experience. Many just didn't bother.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:59 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Apparently nobody bothered very much until the late 1800s. That's when massive immigration began and states started passing laws. Federal laws followed. There's some information here:

https://www.uscis.gov/history-and-ge...ation-policies

If he came in 1839 he probably didn't need to be naturalized at all. I find most of my early ancestors by the date they were admitted to the church or were granted some land or joined the military--things like that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
That only applies to pre-revolutionary war. Before the revolution, the colonies were owned by Britain, so naturally British citizens did not need to naturalize. People from other nations in the colonies would naturalize (take the oath) as British citizens.

Quote:
So, he came in 1839, best I can determine. So, no naturalization?
Then this does not apply, as it was well after the US became an independent country. He may or may not have naturalized, not everyone did.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
For Pre-Revolutionary ancestors, loyalty oaths to the new US government are great resources.

Some of the ancestors I have found were not land owners, so the loyalty oath is among the few primary sources available to put them in specific places in the late 1770s.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:

He may or may not have taken out naturalization papers, but if he did not than he was not a citizen of the U.S. Lots of info here on finding nats in Philly:

Naturalizations

Also, try searching the Ancestry database: Pennsylvania, Federal Naturalization Records, 1795-1931

https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2717

If you don't have an Ancestry subscription than check if your public library offers free Ancestry access on their computers.

Is it possible that he arrived as a child and obtained derivative citizenship through his father?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Prior to the Revolution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy