Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,742,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What about their new terms disturbed you?

They had an indemnity clause shown below. I think it is too broad and I don't want to be financially liable to GEDmatch. However, I do think it is primarily specific to the PDs who will use the site to solve crimes.

Quote:
Indemnification
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold GEDmatch and any of their affiliates, any of their successors and assigns, and any of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, licensors, advertisers, suppliers, and service providers, harmless from any liability, loss, claim, and expense, including reasonable attorneys' fees, related to your violation of this Policy or use or misuse of the Site. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.

It also says that the site has no liability to users for anything under the policy including the loss of data

Quote:
Limitation of Liability
GEDmatch shall have no liability to you under this Policy, it being acknowledged and agreed that the Site is provided solely for your convenience. If the foregoing limitation of liability is found to be unenforceable, GEDmatch's liability to you for any cause of action arising from the Site or under this Policy will be limited to any amount paid by you to GEDmatch for the Site during the twelve (12) months preceding such cause of action.

Quote:
Loss of data
GEDmatch operators will not be held responsible for the loss of Raw Data, whether as a result of mechanical failure, software malfunction, human error, or any other means

I was also concerned with GEDcom data not being protected per this portion under a section called "GEDCOMSs" and the fact that GEDcoms can cause users to be identified, which may not be important to some people but I actually have a lot of relatives on Gedmatch and am in their trees and there is no privacy filter it seems based on their language for living individuals in the GEDCOMs.

Quote:
We take steps to prevent your Genealogy Data from being available to the casual web surfer or to the search engines (e.g. Google). However, we cannot guarantee that your information will never be accessed by individuals other than GEDmatch users. If you require absolute security, you agree that you will not upload your Genealogy Data to GEDmatch. If you have already uploaded it, you agree to delete it immediately.

You will be given the opportunity to link your Genealogy Data with your DNA data. This is a powerful tool and we encourage people to use it. It also provides a means of access to your Genealogy Data to people who may have no Genealogy Data of their own at GEDmatch. It will also enable identification of individuals within the provided Genealogy Data, even if the individuals are not identified in the Genealogy Data.

I'm investigating other sites like My Heritage or 23 and me and FTDNA to upload to them for similar functions/features to Gedmatch. I think it's a cool site but those things just make me a bit uncomfortable and I don't like the idea of cops scrounging around my data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM

19 posts, read 17,257 times
I don't have a problem with it. I've not done anything where that would be an issue. If it does lead to a relative who did commit an atrocity, I would want to know, esp if they were still living. I wouldn't want them out there to possibly commit murder or raping or abusing anyone else. It could be shocking if that were to happen, doesn't change the fact that they need to found and pay for what they did, and prevent them from doing the same thing again to someone else.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:13 PM

23,790 posts, read 33,249,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They had an indemnity clause shown below. I think it is too broad and I don't want to be financially liable to GEDmatch. However, I do think it is primarily specific to the PDs who will use the site to solve crimes.

It also says that the site has no liability to users for anything under the policy including the loss of data

I was also concerned with GEDcom data not being protected per this portion under a section called "GEDCOMSs" and the fact that GEDcoms can cause users to be identified, which may not be important to some people but I actually have a lot of relatives on Gedmatch and am in their trees and there is no privacy filter it seems based on their language for living individuals in the GEDCOMs.

I'm investigating other sites like My Heritage or 23 and me and FTDNA to upload to them for similar functions/features to Gedmatch. I think it's a cool site but those things just make me a bit uncomfortable and I don't like the idea of cops scrounging around my data.
I never uploaded a tree at GEDmatch because a 4th cousin of mine did, I saw there is no privacy even for living people.

For anyone following this thread, FTDNA is now allowing the FBI the same access we have when we see matches. I've removed my trees there. People on facebook are not happy.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,739,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I never uploaded a tree at GEDmatch because a 4th cousin of mine did, I saw there is no privacy even for living people.
I thought they changed that recently? At least, they were looking into doing it. Anyway, I just used FTM to privatize the file when I exported it to gedcom, which means living people were privatized in the gedcom and not visible (even to me) when uploaded anywhere. I'm fine with law enforcement using my tree and/or dna, as long as living people are privatized.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM

6,918 posts, read 11,168,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I thought they changed that recently? At least, they were looking into doing it. Anyway, I just used FTM to privatize the file when I exported it to gedcom, which means living people were privatized in the gedcom and not visible (even to me) when uploaded anywhere. I'm fine with law enforcement using my tree and/or dna, as long as living people are privatized.
Yes, Gedmatch trees display living people as "Hidden." I believe they did this to come into compliance with an EU law in the last year or so.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:39 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,249,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I should have specified back when we uploaded. I hadn't gotten around to uploading, had him upload his DNA everywhere; I'm sure he's thankful he did; I was looking at our match on GEDmatch and saw his tree. Even his brothers were showing.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:16 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,091,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Apparently more police departments are using the data stored at Gedmatch to solve cold cases:
DNA leads to arrest in Washington cold-case murder of young couple | Fox News
Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy