Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I see the legacy of the one-drop rule as something that is largely self-imposed today. After all, there is no longer any legal requirement that a person born of one black and one white parent be considered black, but they typically self-identity that way. Are they not saying to the world that their "blackness" somehow overrides their "whiteness", just as racist laws once did? I am actually heartened by the recent trend among young biracial people to fully embrace both halves of their heritage, and hope to see more of it. People can't really be themselves if for whatever reason, they think that they need to subtly or overtly reject half of their genetic inheritance.
I don't think the is true at all. It really has nothing to do with legalities even though the census still has the unnecessary race categories to check off. The one-drop rule was imposed by society. Many people still think that way. As an example, Obama could not identify as same race as his white mother. Society would reject that. If he was walking along just about any street (and no one knew him), they would decide he is black because of his phenotype.

I have a first cousin whose mother is black and father white. She passes for white. Furthermore, she married an Italian and have 2 adult children. Both of them identify as white and look mostly that way. If you take a second look, you can see a few negroid features.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
KA, Are you saying that because that child refers to him/herself as black they are excluding and rejecting their European heritage? My heart certainly goes out to you if they've rejected you because you and their relatives have white skin.

Some basic anthropology courses can clear up the messy distinctions many make and more importantly enhance a sincere person's outlook on life and others. If just one ancestor in our lineages were altered (among other chance occurrences), we'd have missed the boat on life.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
If he was walking along just about any street (and no one knew him), they would decide he is black because of his phenotype.
^ So true. Suffice it to say that there are plenty of folks walking around who look like Obama, Halle Berry, Meghan Markle, Tiger Woods, or some variation of the above. In the right setting, or in a crowd of other AAs, or in a description given to the police, they would be "black" and their heritage not given one pittance of consideration. But depending on whose doing the selling and what they're trying to sell (be it their beauty, intelligence, competence) they are described as "biracial".

What's talked about less often is the fact that there are just as many bi/multi racial folks who are dark, have rich features, and/or tightly coiled hair walking about w/o much fuss because they are not easily identified as "mixed race" or having white parentage.

It's just a bunch of crazy-making foolish talk.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I don't think the is true at all. It really has nothing to do with legalities even though the census still has the unnecessary race categories to check off. The one-drop rule was imposed by society. Many people still think that way. As an example, Obama could not identify as same race as his white mother. Society would reject that. If he was walking along just about any street (and no one knew him), they would decide he is black because of his phenotype.

I have a first cousin whose mother is black and father white. She passes for white. Furthermore, she married an Italian and have 2 adult children. Both of them identify as white and look mostly that way. If you take a second look, you can see a few negroid features.
I am not espousing that they identify instead with the race of the other parent. I'm saying that they should be free to identify (and be accepted) as a mixture of both. If every time someone called Obama "the first black President" to his face, he had countered with, "Well, actually I'm the first biracial President" that would have gone a long way toward raising awareness for biracial identity. I don't like that anyone, even the President of the United States, feels it necessary to reject, diminish, or disregard half of his parentage in order to embrace and be embraced by the other half.

Last edited by katenik; 05-26-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I am not espousing that they identify with the race of the other parent. I'm saying that they should be free to identify (and be accepted) as a mixture of both.

If every time someone called Obama "the first black President" to his face, he had countered with, "Well, actually I'm the first biracial President" that would have gone a long way toward raising awareness for biracial identity. I don't like the idea that anyone, even the President of the United States, feels it necessary to reject, diminish, or disregard half of his parentage.
Good point. I often wondered why his mother never seemed to take offence on that.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 PM

^ Because she died in 1995.

The biracial distinction is relatively new in its widespread social use and acceptance as a category.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
^ Because she died in 1995.
Oops. I guess I posted before I really thought about it.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Thank you for the ROFL.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Thank you for the ROFL.
Yes, "putting my foot in my mouth" like that probably means that I have been on CD too much today. So, I'm signing off for a while.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;52010276]Right.

For instance, it is hurtful to me for one of my four children to basically reject her European heritage (and anyone in the family who looks to be of European ancestry) and to go full bore so to speak with the whole "I'm black" thing. Yes, she certainly has African heritage as well as European heritage but she is AMERICAN - not just "African American."

As the mother of four multiracial kids, I never expected or encouraged any of them to eschew any part of their heritage, so it hurts my feelings for her to basically exclude half her heritage. But that's her thing, it's her life, it's not my life. If it's how she identifies then so be it.

It just doesn't seem that difficult for the other three kids to fully embrace all of who they are.[/QUOTE]

You just have to accept that she is just different from the others, and that's not unusual. It's not uncommon for one child to be vastly different from their siblings, I see that often. As long as you have raised her to be a decent person, that's all that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy