U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:53 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,385,520 times

Advertisements

As the number of DNA records grow, companies can refine their geographies with better statistics. Just remember that their numbers are statistical estimates of the number of DNA markers you have in common with current residents of various places. (Ancestry gave you a hint with its migration comment). The numbers really don't say anything about older lineages, other than what experts infer from historic migration patterns.

Their relationship results are much more robust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 01:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,451,358 times
Some countries/regions are still under represented in DNA research and statistics. 23andMe Global Genetics have even offered free testing for those with grandparents born in particular regions.

For the record, I have no association with 23andMe and have never tested with them. This information came up while researching under represented regions.

https://www.23andme.com/global-genetics/

Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,451,358 times
Living DNA and Germany’s largest genealogy society Verein für Computergenealogie e.V. (CompGen), are working with the world's leading academics, scientists and genealogists and seeking your help. Together we are looking to map the world's genetic ancestry to the finest scale possible, one where we identify patterns of DNA within countries. The resulting expanded database (see www.livingdna.com) enables people across the world to gain more detailed insight into their ancestry and how they are related to the rest of humankind. Our preliminary research has identified up to 24 distinct areas of interest for our research, where genetic differences may be observed within Germany. If your ancestors are from Germany this is where you come in.

https://www.livingdna.com/one-family/research/germany

Old 05-28-2018, 05:03 PM
bjh

28,155 posts, read 23,212,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
...........and they're gone.

I went back to read the descriptions of the new regions, and the old regions are back. Not sure what is going on.
Getting in the habit of taking screenshots and/or printing is a good idea in genealogy. I'm glad I took screenshots of features 23 and me took away permanently some time ago. I still have the images though.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

4,666 posts, read 7,795,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
As the number of DNA records grow, companies can refine their geographies with better statistics. Just remember that their numbers are statistical estimates of the number of DNA markers you have in common with current residents of various places. (Ancestry gave you a hint with its migration comment). The numbers really don't say anything about older lineages, other than what experts infer from historic migration patterns.

Their relationship results are much more robust.
You've piqued my interest, Bear. Is there something in your personal research that makes you especially wary of centuries old family relocations?

I ask because I am would hope that anyone interested in genealogy understands the bigger forces at play. You know, if your ancestors are from England, that includes varies groups over the centuries from many places in Europe. If you are talking about Eastern Europe, you know that the 20th century upended centuries old settlement patterns, the literal relocation of 1,000,000s of people.

Is this what you mean? Or is your concern on a more micro-scale, like gggggrandpa and grandma moving from Copenhagen to Hanover?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,385,520 times
For me, it comes from an interest in, and knowledge of history. for my own genealogy, all European, of those I could trace back, the movement I saw was local, except for migration to the US, but then again, history tells us that except for a few groups, there was no broad scale movement for the past few centuries. This makes sense, because Europe was very fragmented politically and linguistically. But go back further (before records of individuals could be found) and there were times of broader political unity and movement.

We also need to be aware of the possibility of population bottlenecks, where large numbers of people are descendant from one or a few people. This happens because of disease, especially maternal and childhood death, infertility, and other problems that beset common folks. With more DNA research, this may be expanded or refuted.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Update:

One of my wife's cousins got the new update. He is a Greek from the islands. His new regions were roughly:

35% Italy
25% Greece and Balkans
25% Turkey and the Caucasus

for comparison his MyHeritage is 70% Greece plus some various Jewish groups, a bit of Italian, and a trace of North West Europe.

He was not pleased, and told Ancestry they had made a mistake. He requested and received a new DNA test to take. I figure the problem is

1. Island Greeks form a DNA cluster with Southern Italians and Sicilians, mainland Greeks cluster with the south Balkans. I have no idea why Ancestry is moving away from the "Europe South" region that included both Island Greeks and Southern Italians groups in same genetic region.

Anyone else from Southern Europe gotten the update yet?

Old 06-29-2018, 01:29 PM

16,552 posts, read 9,300,549 times
Nope. No changed to my stats. The roll out seems to be moving slowly. What's the effective date for the new regions?

Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nope. No changed to my stats. The roll out seems to be moving slowly. What's the effective date for the new regions?
I don't know. I believe this cousin has been the site for awhile and was recently updated with the new regions. He was a strong cousin match, received an email, replied to the email about 2 months later (yesterday) but is not longer shown as having taken a DNA test........probably because he wanted a new one.

Of the 6 accounts I manage, only one has received the new update. That is shown as May 2018, 16,000 reference samples, 380 total regions.

The other accounts will update every week or so, but this update does not change the regions....or even the percents. I am not sure what those updates accomplish.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:46 PM

16,552 posts, read 9,300,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't know. I believe this cousin has been the site for awhile and was recently updated with the new regions. He was a strong cousin match, received an email, replied to the email about 2 months later (yesterday) but is not longer shown as having taken a DNA test........probably because he wanted a new one.

Of the 6 accounts I manage, only one has received the new update. That is shown as May 2018, 16,000 reference samples, 380 total regions.

The other accounts will update every week or so, but this update does not change the regions....or even the percents. I am not sure what those updates accomplish.
Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll be checking my account more frequently going forward in anticipation of the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or