U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,455 posts, read 13,160,567 times
Reputation: 10888

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
According to my profile, I still have the May 2014 version. I know rolling out something like this takes awhile, but, darn it, Ancestry, hurry up!
I don't know what those dates mean but it's not actually the ethnicity version you're on because everyone had the same ethnicity version before this update began yet all the dates are different. Actually, mine doesn't even have a date for some reason (too old? I tested in 2014). At first, I thought they were the dates when you originally activated the test or got your results in because my husband's says May 2018 which is when he activated and got his results. My grandfather's is Aug 2015, which is when I activated his (got his results in Sep 2015 though), and my mom's is Sep 2015, when she activated and her results came in. But then my dad's say Feb 2018, and he activated and got his results in Sep 2017. And why do I not have a date at all? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The way you can tell (apart from the drastic changes to the ethnicity categories) if you have the update or not is to look at the reference samples amount. If it says 3,000, you're on the current/old version. If it says 16,000, you're on the new/updated version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2018, 12:03 PM
 
Location: The analog world
16,552 posts, read 9,300,549 times
Reputation: 22163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't know what those dates mean but it's not actually the ethnicity version you're on because everyone had the same ethnicity version before this update began yet all the dates are different. Actually, mine doesn't even have a date for some reason (too old? I tested in 2014). At first, I thought they were the dates when you originally activated the test or got your results in because my husband's says May 2018 which is when he activated and got his results. My grandfather's is Aug 2015, which is when I activated his (got his results in Sep 2015 though), and my mom's is Sep 2015, when she activated and her results came in. But then my dad's say Feb 2018, and he activated and got his results in Sep 2017. And why do I not have a date at all? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The way you can tell (apart from the drastic changes to the ethnicity categories) if you have the update or not is to look at the reference samples amount. If it says 3,000, you're on the current/old version. If it says 16,000, you're on the new/updated version.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I'm still on the old version. The date is the month/year that my test was processed. I'm a little excited about the update because it looks as though there's more detail available now for those of us with ancestry from the British Isles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
5,838 posts, read 8,292,537 times
Reputation: 3126
Question for those of us who had the old regions switching to new regions/connecting to the new 23andMe results. I am the "manager" to my mother's DNA and was checking her map. She has a big goldish/yellow area around the Czech Republic. Is that just saying that her DNA shows a very high percentage of the Czech Republic? I looked back at mine and there's no golden results. My sister has something similar at 23andMe where it just says there was Czech Republic percentages but they couldn't narrow down the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,455 posts, read 13,160,567 times
Reputation: 10888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Question for those of us who had the old regions switching to new regions/connecting to the new 23andMe results. I am the "manager" to my mother's DNA and was checking her map. She has a big goldish/yellow area around the Czech Republic. Is that just saying that her DNA shows a very high percentage of the Czech Republic? I looked back at mine and there's no golden results. My sister has something similar at 23andMe where it just says there was Czech Republic percentages but they couldn't narrow down the region.
That sounds like a Genetic Community. Not everyone gets one, you usually have to have a high percentage of recent ancestry from that region. https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...is-a-community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
 
4,521 posts, read 2,940,595 times
Reputation: 5436
I think PA2UK is right, I have 2 highlighted regions (that overlap) under Eastern Europe & Russia:

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland & Lithuania

Poland, Slovakia, Hungary & Romania


Then within each of those I have a subregion, for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland & Lithuania, I have the Mazovia & Lodz subregion and 1,483 DNA matches, with Poland, Slovakia, Hungary & Romania, I have the Eastern Hungary, Eastern Slovakia, Northwest Romania & Western Ukraine subregion and 1,676 DNA matches.

Family tree-wise, I'm 75% Eastern European (Polish, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Slovakian) all that immigrated to the US in the early 1900's, DNA-wise with Ancestry, I'm 88% Eastern Europe & Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Status: ""I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." -- Popeye" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: New Mexico
5,681 posts, read 3,215,801 times
Reputation: 10611
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Update: Of the four accounts I manage, one has been updated with new regions. The other three have not.
I'm new to Ancestry so I came up with the new regions but when I do a compare to existing DNA matches is seems to imply that the other user hasn't followed through with the update and many or most haven't been on the site in months or longer. I guess it isn't automatic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,666 posts, read 7,795,437 times
Reputation: 2881
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm new to Ancestry so I came up with the new regions but when I do a compare to existing DNA matches is seems to imply that the other user hasn't followed through with the update and many or most haven't been on the site in months or longer. I guess it isn't automatic?
No, the update is not automatic. If a user hasn't logged on to the site and clicked on the update they will still show the old regions. A user can chose to ignore the new regions and keep the old ones if they wish. That is what I do with some of the accounts I manage since the old report is a more accurate way of describing their ancestry,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
5,838 posts, read 8,292,537 times
Reputation: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That sounds like a Genetic Community. Not everyone gets one, you usually have to have a high percentage of recent ancestry from that region. https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...is-a-community
Sounds right. I can also search through matches that are within that community. I found my father has a town in Norway and then has "West Norway" as communities and they overlap. Not sure how helpful that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top