Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:22 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times

Advertisements

I checked one of the accounts I manage on Ancestry.com and noticed the regions have been updated. I checked my wife's a few minutes before and she still had the old ones, so it may not be implemented for all existing users yet. I am going to check the all the accounts I manage and report back.

New regions I see

England and Wales
Scotland and Ireland
France
Germanic Europe
Sweden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM

Update: Of the four accounts I manage, one has been updated with new regions. The other three have not.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM

661 posts, read 879,614 times
Native American 29%
Iberian Peninsula 26%
Europe South 17%
Africa North 6%
Scandinavia 5%
Senegal 4%
Europe West 4%
Africa Southeastern Bantu 2%
European Jewish 2%
Great Britain 2%
Benin/Togo <1%
Europe East <1%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales <1%
=====
I agree, mine used to say Italy/Greece. Now it says: Europe South

Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Native American 29%
Iberian Peninsula 26%
Europe South 17%
Africa North 6%
Scandinavia 5%
Senegal 4%
Europe West 4%
Africa Southeastern Bantu 2%
European Jewish 2%
Great Britain 2%
Benin/Togo <1%
Europe East <1%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales <1%
=====
I agree, mine used to say Italy/Greece. Now it says: Europe South
That happened last year, it's said Europe South for a while now.

Previously, Europe was broken down like this, for percentages (not including GCs which have no percentages):

Europe East
Europe South
Europe West
European Jewish
Finland/NW Russia
Great Britain
Iberian Peninsula
Ireland/Scotland/Wales
Scandinavia

With the update, it includes percentages for:

Baltic States
Basque
Eastern Europe and Russia
England and Wales
European Jewish
Finland
France
Germanic Europe
Greece and the Balkans
Ireland and Scotland
Italy
Norway
Portugal
Sardinia
Spain
Sweden

So you are still on the old version, you haven't gotten the update yet.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 AM

451 posts, read 1,323,848 times
I checked last night and Ancestry updated my results. From the longest time it was showing at 92% East Asian and 8% Polynesian. I noticed they now have 12 Asian population groups. My results came out as "100% China." Then, when you click on that it shows China includes China and Taiwan. My parents are both from Taiwan (and both sides of my family have lived in Taiwan for at least 200 years and more with origins from Fujian Province, China). Then it lists "Migration" and puts Philippines and Guam. At first, it was confusing, but states that my relation to these area is due to migration from China. That makes sense. Especially in the Philippines, a large percentage of the ethnic Chinese population in the Philippines trace their ancestry to also Fujian Province, China. Quite a few have also mixed with the local Filipinos.

I also noticed this week 23andMe updated my results once again. The earlier update this year it showed me as 97% Chinese (with 5 dots for Taiwan, 2 dots for Mainland China) and 2% Southeast Asian (with 2 dots for the Philippines- which in interpreted as relations to the ethnic Chinese there) + .1% South Asian. But then, this week when I logged into 23andMe and results were updated to 99.7% Chinese (with 5 dots for Taiwan, 2 dots for Mainland China) and just .2% Southeast Asian (and no dots for any countries in Southeast Asia and they removed all dots for the Philippines). I also have .1% South Asian (but no dots for any South Asian Countries).

Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM

...........and they're gone.

I went back to read the descriptions of the new regions, and the old regions are back. Not sure what is going on.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
...........and they're gone.

I went back to read the descriptions of the new regions, and the old regions are back. Not sure what is going on.
They do that a lot in testing/beta mode, temporarily roll it out to a group of people for testing, than roll it back until it's ready. Good that they are testing it on existing ones though - previously, we were only getting reports about it being used on new kit results. This at least means they have moved forward another step, even if they're still in testing.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They do that a lot in testing/beta mode, temporarily roll it out to a group of people for testing, than roll it back until it's ready. Good that they are testing it on existing ones though - previously, we were only getting reports about it being used on new kit results. This at least means they have moved forward another step, even if they're still in testing.
I was happy to see the Iberian region nixed, it seemed to extend well into France. I have two older relatives and an uncle that are both 10%+ "Iberian," and it makes no sense based on based on what we know of the family trees. My hope is that breaking it down into Spain, Portugal, and France will clear that up. All the relatives in question have either a French ancestor, or multiple ancestors from the Rhine Valley. France? Sure. Spain/Portugal is something different entirely.

Interested in the idea of "Greece and Balkans" too. Does this mean Greece goes away as a genetic community? Will the new test struggle to differentiate between Island Greeks and Southern Italians? Cousin matches seem the surest way IMO to tell these different ethnic groups apart. We'll see, I guess.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 PM

I think the Genetic Communities will be unaffected by this, since they are determined using the testing database, not the reference panel used for the percentages. This is why I still think it's a bad idea they merged the two together in the first place when they are actually totally separate things unrelated to one another.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 PM

661 posts, read 879,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I was happy to see the Iberian region nixed, it seemed to extend well into France. I have two older relatives and an uncle that are both 10%+ "Iberian," and it makes no sense based on based on what we know of the family trees. My hope is that breaking it down into Spain, Portugal, and France will clear that up. All the relatives in question have either a French ancestor, or multiple ancestors from the Rhine Valley. France? Sure. Spain/Portugal is something different entirely.

Interested in the idea of "Greece and Balkans" too. Does this mean Greece goes away as a genetic community? Will the new test struggle to differentiate between Island Greeks and Southern Italians? Cousin matches seem the surest way IMO to tell these different ethnic groups apart. We'll see, I guess.
Even the Romans divided Europe very well:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy