Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,274,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Anyone's thoughts? By the way, I have been reluctant to submit a genealogical DNA test for many of the reasons sited in this story. I still do my genealogy the old fashioned way, one record at a time.
Me too, it's really the entire lack of personal privacy, and the invasion of it as well. I'm not a criminal, never going to be a criminal so I am concerned about who can gain access to it legally or otherwise. Nor do I wear a tin foil hat, all one needs to do is be aware of ALL the access we already provide willingly or unwittingly in our everyday lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I don't trust them. Never have, never will. Even if I could trust them... I don't trust what some other entity might do with that.

I don't even trust that they aren't collecting dna profiles on newborns yet or soon. With or without our knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Yeah, I'm concerned.

But I'm just as concerned about the following:

The electronic medical records that my doctor keeps that may someday be hacked.
What they do with your blood after they pull it out of your arm when you have lab work done.
How everything we do on the internet is tracked.
How they can track our location with our cell phones and modern cars.
How they use debit/credit cards to track what we buy.

If people were really as concerned as some in this thread claim to be they'd be living off the grid, would not be accessing the internet, and would not be posting in this thread.
I don't think there are very many of us willing to live off the grid unless we have a large amount of money to invest in such an arrangement or we are willing to live in isolation somewhere in deep Appalachia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ and paying cash, since our card charges are recorded and monetized too.
Yes, Big Brother is in our lives to stay, one way or another.

The government owns your DNA. What are they doing with it?

Every year, approximately 4 million newborns in the U.S. are screened for congenital disorders, and about 12,500 of these infants are diagnosed with an inherited condition. Many of these disorders (like PKU) can be effectively treated when caught early, allowing an infant to grow and develop normally.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that we also may not be aware that many states have created biobanks funded by genetic material left over from our screening tests, and, even more surprising, our specimens may be used for purposes we do not fully understand or for which we have not granted informed consent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,217,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Me too, it's really the entire lack of personal privacy, and the invasion of it as well. I'm not a criminal, never going to be a criminal so I am concerned about who can gain access to it legally or otherwise. Nor do I wear a tin foil hat, all one needs to do is be aware of ALL the access we already provide willingly or unwittingly in our everyday lives.

I don't think there are very many of us willing to live off the grid unless we have a large amount of money to invest in such an arrangement or we are willing to live in isolation somewhere in deep Appalachia.

Yes, Big Brother is in our lives to stay, one way or another.

Every year, approximately 4 million newborns in the U.S. are screened for congenital disorders, and about 12,500 of these infants are diagnosed with an inherited condition. Many of these disorders (like PKU) can be effectively treated when caught early, allowing an infant to grow and develop normally.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that we also may not be aware that many states have created biobanks funded by genetic material left over from our screening tests, and, even more surprising, our specimens may be used for purposes we do not fully understand or for which we have not granted informed consent.

You mean we participants might run into our clone one of these days?! (LOL)

Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,330,596 times
even if you never got a dna test, someone in your family like a cousin, crazy aunt that could trace to you, so why worry, if you re not a crimnal, nothing to worry about

Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
even if you never got a dna test, someone in your family like a cousin, crazy aunt that could trace to you, so why worry, if you re not a crimnal, nothing to worry about
That's why I haven't removed anything from GEDmatch because there are other family there that have more info then me. I go by Rose there; all of my samples have nick names and my email isn't linked to my real name either, it's under Rose Lover lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy