Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
Thx, stickman07738. Very interesting charts. I hope to find out more soon.

Roselvr, wow, I didn't know about those other sites. I'll check them out. How do you find common matches? And I thought you had to join Ancestry in order to find out more info? Just looked at family search, and it's really cool! They even show the written census. Thanks!
There is a lot you can do without paying at Ancestry

Go to your DNA page, click matches, click this close match, you'll see pedigree and surnames, shared matches, map and locations. You want shared matches.It will list anyone you have in common.

I mostly use the ancestry app, just find it easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 06:48 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
I finally had time to look at the ancestry site again, and discovered this about the person they say I'm related to:
1,864 centimorgans shared across 54 DNA segments - any clues on this?
I'll probably end up joining to explore more, LOL
That's a half sibling, there's no way they could be a 1st cousin: https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/1864

There's other options, as mentioned, like grandparent/child, or uncle/nephew, but given your ages, they can't be grandparent/child, and uncle/nephew is unlikely too (especially an unknown one).

Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There is a lot you can do without paying at Ancestry

Go to your DNA page, click matches, click this close match, you'll see pedigree and surnames, shared matches, map and locations. You want shared matches.It will list anyone you have in common.

I mostly use the ancestry app, just find it easier.
Matches and shared matches aren't very useful without being able to see their trees, which you can't do without a subscription or invite to a tree. You can contact your matches and ask for an invite to see their trees, but it is tedious and people often don't respond.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Matches and shared matches aren't very useful without being able to see their trees, which you can't do without a subscription or invite to a tree. You can contact your matches and ask for an invite to see their trees, but it is tedious and people often don't respond.
That depends on how many samples you are working with. Since I have both my mom and dad's sample, using "shared matches" is a very fast way to determining which side of the family the cousin is from (the answer is sometimes both!) With three generations on my moms' side, I can use shared matches to break down my maternal matches further in maternal grandfather and maternal grandmother's family.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That depends on how many samples you are working with. Since I have both my mom and dad's sample, using "shared matches" is a very fast way to determining which side of the family the cousin is from (the answer is sometimes both!) With three generations on my moms' side, I can use shared matches to break down my maternal matches further in maternal grandfather and maternal grandmother's family.
Sure, but without seeing their tree, you still don't know much/anything beyond that. Both my parents tested, and my paternal grandfather, but I still want to know more than that. Of course it's up to every individual how far they want to take things - I probably wouldn't recommend subscribing unless you're going to make sure of the records access and build your tree. But for someone who just found out they have a half sibling they didn't know about, if that person has a public tree and won't give you an invite to it, it might be worth subscribing just for one month to see their tree.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:32 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Sure, but without seeing their tree, you still don't know much/anything beyond that. Both my parents tested, and my paternal grandfather, but I still want to know more than that. Of course it's up to every individual how far they want to take things - I probably wouldn't recommend subscribing unless you're going to make sure of the records access and build your tree. But for someone who just found out they have a half sibling they didn't know about, if that person has a public tree and won't give you an invite to it, it might be worth subscribing just for one month to see their tree.
Oh absolutely.

Your experience matches mine in terms of trying to get invites to see trees. Most people either don't respond, or claim ignorance as to how to do it.

Still, the shared match feature is one of the better Ancestry.com free cousin utilities. Not as good as MyHeritage or GEDmatch's free cousin matching systems though, IMO.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
my dna match 12 first and second cousin in my dad home town, but all of them has no tree or lock tree, my tree has over 3000 member and i was always helpful if other wanted to look. but now my tree lock, im playing by their rules now

Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I manage 6 samples, my daughter has her grandma and her aunt who doesn't have the same father as my daughters father while my son has his grandma and her nephew plus a few matches that I know where they came from. Same with my hub, I have known matches for him. I know how I match some people so it's helpful.

If I have common matches I don't know I send a message, some answer, some don't. I finally got one reply the other day, seems we share our maiden last name but both of our dads are deceased, hers at 67, mine at 69. Now I really need my uncle to test to determine if I have relatives in the US from that line. Our last name is pretty common in Hungary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy