U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM

1,663 posts, read 693,154 times

Advertisements

I found a rare Lumbee Indian DNA result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TldVnuFjxws&t=315s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aertMP6zg_Y&t=56s

This young man tested with 23andme and AncestryDNA.

0% Native American.

For those of you not familiar, the Lumbees are a North Carolina state recognized Native American tribe with disputed origins, who have been fighting for federal recognition for many decades. His results give further credence to the genealogy research of Paul Heinegg, which asserts that the Virginia and Carolina Indians were all really descendants of free-colored people who passed as "Indian" during reconstruction.

If you find other interesting DNA results please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 AM

535 posts, read 312,922 times
Is obvious they are not Native Americans, they are white people with 10% African.
His results are similar to my results, except I am 26% Native American...!!
Population:
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 3,946,666 times
Do you have a personal reason for trying to rewrite history?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM

893 posts, read 1,253,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I found a rare Lumbee Indian DNA result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TldVnuFjxws&t=315s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aertMP6zg_Y&t=56s

This young man tested with 23andme and AncestryDNA.

0% Native American.

For those of you not familiar, the Lumbees are a North Carolina state recognized Native American tribe with disputed origins, who have been fighting for federal recognition for many decades. His results give further credence to the genealogy research of Paul Heinegg, which asserts that the Virginia and Carolina Indians were all really descendants of free-colored people who passed as "Indian" during reconstruction.

If you find other interesting DNA results please share.

To be fair, I've heard others mention that the Native American designation showing up in DNA is generally not East Coast tribes but tends to be more central American. In my own immediate family, there isn't any Native American but I have noticed that those shared matches that come up NA generally have Spanish surnames. My understanding is that the Eastern Tribes just aren't easily identifiable /perhaps more assimilation occurred due to earlier exposure in the colonial period.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
To be fair, I've heard others mention that the Native American designation showing up in DNA is generally not East Coast tribes but tends to be more central American. In my own immediate family, there isn't any Native American but I have noticed that those shared matches that come up NA generally have Spanish surnames. My understanding is that the Eastern Tribes just aren't easily identifiable /perhaps more assimilation occurred due to earlier exposure in the colonial period.
That is possible.
I would like to see more Lumbee people submitting their DNA results here. Very interesting.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM

1,612 posts, read 968,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Many of the east coast tribes were killed by the European settlers. Many more died from smallpox and other diseases brought by the settlers. And many were forced to move west... look up Trail of Tears.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM

4,526 posts, read 7,557,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
That is possible.
I would like to see more Lumbee people submitting their DNA results here. Very interesting.
This is were I stand too......interesting but I would want to see many more samples to form any conclusions.

One thing.......even if the NA DNA was only a smallish portion to start, I would think it would be preserved over the generations since these communities most often married among themselves.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:43 AM

2,924 posts, read 4,455,223 times
This is nothing new and has been known for at least 10 years. There are already close to 1000 people in the Lumbee DNA Project (now called "Robeson Co., NC American Indian" DNA project) which shows very few have Y-DNA from Native American sources. Overwhelmingly their Y-DNA is European, with African second and Native American a distant third. Same for mtDNA (maternal line) haplogroups, very few are Native American.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...anindian/about

Old 07-23-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This is nothing new and has been known for at least 10 years. There are already close to 1000 people in the Lumbee DNA Project (now called "Robeson Co., NC American Indian" DNA project) which shows very few have Y-DNA from Native American sources. Overwhelmingly their Y-DNA is European, with African second and Native American a distant third. Same for mtDNA (maternal line) haplogroups, very few are Native American.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...anindian/about
Most of them are from Nigeria ( was looking at the Y-DNA chart you provided above)
How come they are claiming to be Native Americans?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM

485 posts, read 586,387 times
Certainly no expert here, but I find it odd the DNA was not passed down too. Look at Puerto Rico, the Taino indians, which were basically exterminated with the exception of the women, right around 1500 (give or take a few years). The Taino DNA is still passed along today, so I would think if the Lumbee really were NA, they would still be passing along the DNA.
I wonder if it was just another example of " it was better to be thought of as Native American rather than African American".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy