Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,095,292 times

Advertisements

The original OP is a product of where he is from and his culture. It's a racist culture and has been since it was conquered by the Spanish. Those that are mostly Native American and look like they are, are considered inferior. One does not strive to be a Native American when they are looked at as uneducated and primitive. If you appear to be more Spanish, you are given more respect, better paying jobs and are usually able to have a better life.
So, before you beat someone up for wanting to be more Spanish than Native, look at the circumstances of where the person is from, the culture there and walk a mile in his shoes. It's too easy for someone in the United States who is joyous of being 10 percent Native American and looks 100 percent white, to judge someone from another culture and way of life.

Last edited by marino760; 08-21-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,739,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The original OP is a product of where he is from and his culture. It's a racist culture and has been since it was conquered by the Spanish. Those that are mostly Native American and look like they are, are considered inferior. One does not strive to be a Native American when they are looked at as uneducated and primitive. If you appear to be more Spanish, you are given more respect, better paying jobs and are usually able to have a better life.
So, before you beat someone up for wanting to be more Spanish than Native, look at the circumstances of where the person is from, the culture there and walk a mile in his shoes. It's too easy for someone in the United States who is joyous of being 10 percent Native American and looks 100 percent white, to judge someone from another culture and way of life.
And it's probably exactly that sort of attitude which has prevented any kind of change. Just because something has always been doesn't mean it's not time for a change and it starts with the people saying "no more of this, I don't care what society says, there's nothing wrong with being indigenous, and I won't be ashamed of it anymore". Like I say, it's not like American races/ethnic groups never faced the same kind of prejudice. Black Americans faced slavery, inferior legal rights, discrimination, etc, but they were never ashamed of who they were, and they fought for their freedom, for their rights, and for equality. They didn't cry and wail about how they wished they weren't black and about how being black makes them depressed and gives them low self esteem. Nope, I'm sorry, but "this is the way it's always been and outsiders just don't understand" isn't an excuse for prejudice or hatred, even self hatred.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:42 AM

28 posts, read 29,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And it's probably exactly that sort of attitude which has prevented any kind of change. Just because something has always been doesn't mean it's not time for a change and it starts with the people saying "no more of this, I don't care what society says, there's nothing wrong with being indigenous, and I won't be ashamed of it anymore". Like I say, it's not like American races/ethnic groups never faced the same kind of prejudice. Black Americans faced slavery, inferior legal rights, discrimination, etc, but they were never ashamed of who they were, and they fought for their freedom, for their rights, and for equality. They didn't cry and wail about how they wished they weren't black and about how being black makes them depressed and gives them low self esteem. Nope, I'm sorry, but "this is the way it's always been and outsiders just don't understand" isn't an excuse for prejudice or hatred, even self hatred.

I was ONLY talking about Native American and nothing else since that's the percentage I got the highest for- almost 50%. I think a lot of people want to have Native American in their DNA so they can have an excuse to play the role of being victims. That's the only reason I would understand why anyone would want Native American in their DNA. I personally wouldn't want to have any percentage of Native American but if I had to it would be no more than 1%.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,739,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
I was ONLY talking about Native American and nothing else since that's the percentage I got the highest for- almost 50%.
Yes, I understand that.

Quote:
I think a lot of people want to have Native American in their DNA so they can have an excuse to play the role of being victims. That's the only reason I would understand why anyone would want Native American in their DNA. I personally wouldn't want to have any percentage of Native American but if I had to it would be no more than 1%.
Yes, we know very well that you despise being Native American in large part because you've said it multiple times now. The more you say about it, the more you prove your beliefs are racist and prejudice.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,940,537 times
Quote:
I did the Ancestry DNA test and I wasn't happy about the results? Why? Because I wanted my European to be higher than the Native American (Central American). I knew Native American was going to be in my result. I just wanted it to be low but instead it was 45% and 38%-40% European and the rest mixed with others. So 38% to 40% of European isn't even accurate since they are not even sure if it's 38% or 40% and I had to add all of them up from European countries and they did it by region on the 2% which included not only European countries. The test was accurate of knowing I am Salvadorian since my country was highlighted on a map on their site as part of the result explanation. The other problem is that it didn't tell me from what indigenous people that were in my country I am from... It's either going to be the Pipil or the Lencas. The Pipil were the last people in my country. I don't know if this means they were the only ones there in my entire country because when I look at a map it shows it depended on the region of the country and where I was born it shows the Lencas were there. I also do see others on the map but I never even heard of them and I didn't even know that the Lencas were living in El Salvador.
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil
Power to the Pipil, right on!

......unless you're Lencas.

Last edited by Snort; 08-25-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 12,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Don't know where you live, but PA2UK is right. Most white Americans (from USA) would love to have Native American ancestry. it is seen as an honorable ancestry. Maybe it's different where you live. But either way, nobody needs to be ashamed of their ancestry. It's just who we came from. Nothing to do with living your life as a good, honorable person.
I do. I'm on the rolls according to the Indian Act of Canada in 1876. But Ancestry says northern EU. Well, they are wrong. I had a good one done - cost a thousand dollars and took three months. It confirmed what I already knew - 100%. The thing is I don't have the features - so most think I'm Metis. I do speak Algonquin-Anishinabe and French, English is my third language.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 12,723 times
Quote:
I was ONLY talking about Native American and nothing else since that's the percentage I got the highest for- almost 50%. I think a lot of people want to have Native American in their DNA so they can have an excuse to play the role of being victims. That's the only reason I would understand why anyone would want Native American in their DNA. I personally wouldn't want to have any percentage of Native American but if I had to it would be no more than 1%.
You know we don't call ourselves that - it's the first nation we come from - in my case Algonquin, Anishinabe. Anyone born in America of American parentage is NATIVE AMERICAN.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:43 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,377,203 times
Quote:
If no DNA test is accurate or specific enough then none of them should even be done because they are misleading people. I thought they would at least give me the percentage of European right and the truth is I had to add up all of the European countries myself and the 2% difference was because for one region it included 2 European countries and the other 4 or 5 weren't European. Yet they gave me 45% Native American without me having to add up any percentages at all. I hate the fact I have 45% Native American in me. The most I wanted would be no more than 1% or none at all would be better so I wish I never took the test. All it did was lower myself esteem and is causing me depression.
Seriously? Why? I know one politician that would be thrilled. You are what you are and no one but you can diminish your self esteem. I think you need to talk with a professional as to why you feel this way.

ETA I see you are from Salvador so apparently prejudice plays a big part here. Looking up American Indian Salvadorian you may be Lenca people, Cacaopera people, Maya peoples: (Poqomam people/Chorti people) or Pipil people or a combination.

Embrace your heritage. Being 100% European is boring ;-)

Also you are more common than you think as ethnically, 86.3% of Salvadorans are mixed (mixed Indigenous Native American and European Spanish origin)

Last edited by NorthofHere; 11-11-2018 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,041,484 times
Quote:
I did the Ancestry DNA test and I wasn't happy about the results? Why? Because I wanted my European to be higher than the Native American (Central American).
People who have preconceived ideas generally aren't happy.

Whether you're into ethnicity or genealogy, if you have preconceived ideas, you'll be blown away by Reality®.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy