Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
So do I not invite them on Facebook too? I already made an event and announcement. Not many have responded though. Even the ones I know are going did not respond. So right now I’m so confused with why we would separate the 2.
I thought you were trying to put together an invite list to include those who are not on Facebook. First you have to collect everyone's address (email or snail mail or Facebook or phone -- whatever you decide).

Do you have a date for the party yet? Do you know the general area where you will hold it? Some people will not commit to coming until they know the details. Some will wait until the last minute to say if they are coming. That's how people are.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM

749 posts, read 481,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought you were trying to put together an invite list to include those who are not on Facebook. First you have to collect everyone's address (email or snail mail or Facebook or phone -- whatever you decide).

Do you have a date for the party yet? Do you know the general area where you will hold it? Some people will not commit to coming until they know the details. Some will wait until the last minute to say if they are coming. That's how people are.

Yes I have a date and place. Reserved.

Yes, some will wait till the last minute. Just human nature I guess. And nothing I can do about it. So what do I do about those people?

Also, I'm wondering why some members have not put their kids in the group. Isn't it important that the younger generation is informed about this? Seems selfish to just keep it to yourself?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:

Yes, some will wait till the last minute. Just human nature I guess. And nothing I can do about it. So what do I do about those people?

Also, I'm wondering why some members have not put their kids in the group. Isn't it important that the younger generation is informed about this? Seems selfish to just keep it to yourself?
You do nothing. You really seem hellbent on trying to control everyone else to bend to your wishes and demands. Whoever can come will come and otherwise, you need to respect that not everyone is interested nor do they have to be.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You do nothing. You really seem hellbent on trying to control everyone else to bend to your wishes and demands. Whoever can come will come and otherwise, you need to respect that not everyone is interested nor do they have to be.

But to hide it from the kids.. preserving family history

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 PM

672 posts, read 503,060 times
Quote:
I know that I already have a thread. But the problem is that people stopped responding and I really would like some more insight, so please excuse me.

So I have used ancestry to meet some awesome relatives. But there's a little bit of a dilemna I have. And that is that even though most of these relatives are related to my grandpa and great aunt and uncle, they wouldn't all be related to each OTHER...

It's kinda complicated. My great grandma had a huge number of children. And this is where a lot of the important people come from. However, she had 2 marriages. And so the descendants are split on both sides. There's all these half cousins, but BOTH sides are very important parts of the family. I've recently met up with some of them and they are very knowledgable about our family history.

Here is where I'm split. I met relatives that are related to the HUSBAND of my great grandma, which would be my great grandpa. However, because half of these cousins belong to her other husband, they would not related to the cousins on my great grandpa's side. And I'm meeting all these awesome relatives on this side. So most people would be related to each other, but then up to a quarter might not be due to the different marriages that my great grandma had.

So I'm really torn on this. My great aunt made family charts and books and everyone would be related to her and myself, but not necessarily to each other. Would this confuse people? I really want to invite all these people, but I don't know what to do. If I don't invite them I will feel bad, especially since we are talking now regularly.

I can't find any information about this online. Every family seems to have a straight tree where everyone has the same last name or maiden name. It's not like that with my extended family.

If I were to invite everyone, HOW would I explain it? When we do family history, one thing might apply to one and not the other. I'm really hurt about this. Now obviously, I wouldn't start inviting both my dad's family, and my mom's family, and my mom's cousin's family. That would make no sense. It's just my great grandma had multiple marriages and all the half siblings were close.

I'm not sure there's a WIN WIN situation here. Then again, some people have no clue about family trees and even if I explained it to them, they would just assume they were all related, just because they have no concept of trees.

This is the same with my great-grandmother. She had 12 children over 24 years and married twice. She had 6 Kids with each of her Husbands. We once did kind of a reunion-family gathering sort of thing with all her (this was before the birth of her first great-great -grandchild) children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. iT was pretty fun.

I suggest go at least one generation back. Maybe do a Reunion for the Descendants your great-grandmother Parents (2nd great-grandparents) since the siblings, cousins, etc,. from both of her Marriages share them as an ancestor.

We are currently planning a Family Reunion next year for Descendants of my great-grandmother Parents. We have done at least five so far since 1990. My great-grandma has 2 siblings (of 8) who also had children from two different marriages. Those Reunions always been fun

I have a Descendancy Group on Facebook for my great-great grandparents where I been sharing reunion updates and also I created a calendar event on FB as well which I shared in my Group and told people to spread the word to other family members We will be sending out a letter on net several months.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 11-15-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 06:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
But to hide it from the kids.. preserving family history
Maybe their kids are not on Facebook.

When you send the invitations, be sure to mention that children and grandchildren are invited. And ask how many people will be coming from their family group when they RSVP.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Only my opinion but it seems you are over-reaching a bit. I would start smaller and see how it goes before going full tilt. Enlist some help from family members who are enthusiastic and then expand if it makes sense and there is interest in including shirt-tail cousins. You could have a couple hundred people show up with jello salads or baked beans. Other than getting everyone at one event, what is the outcome you would like to see? Is this going to be a one-time event or something that you want to repeat on a yearly schedule?

I think the pre-invitation is a good idea if you decide to go for the entire extended family.
This is is what I did too. I talk with one of my grandpa Cousin (who been on the reunion committee and has helped plan pass reunions) about doing another Family Reunion. I then ask some of the other grandchildren (including a great-aunt) if they were interested in doing another and all said yes. I then posted the question in the Group to other family members and there was a overwhelming support to do another Reunion and so it was on.

The next hurdle came in planning a date, place and food. Be warned you will not please everyone (don't worry about it to much if someone says a date does not work for them if it doesn't then I guess it doesn't but remember you are planning it). . But after a month we finally choose a date and place that I think everyone will be satisfied with.

You also want to find someone who will take charge of things (one of my grandpa other cousin has now taken over the reigns of panning the reunion and great-aunt is also co-hosting) or who will actually help you plan this thing and know a lot of people in the family who can get phone numbers and emails and know where to contact people. My grandpa and great-aunt and their cousins stay in touch with each other a lot and have contacts for other cousins another person may not for that other cousin or their fmaily

We are doing pre-invitation and RSVP. My great-great grandparents have some 415 Descendants.

You are absolutely right. You can't plan a reunion all by yourself and will need help from someone (or a few people) and will need a leader who will take commands of things. If you don't get some help or enough support it will be a mess and overwhelming

Decide who the most responsible and trusting person is of the oldest living generation.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Maybe the Kids don't want too. THere could be many reasons. I have ask people a couple times to add other Family Members. I once awhile back added one of my Mom cousin to the group and she immediately left. It could be I didn't ask before hand. I didn't dwell on it but I respect their wishes, Some are not interested in Family history. Some people may not wish to be in any FB Group

Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Also have you thought obut Money? How are you going to pay for all this?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Maybe the Kids don't want too. THere could be many reasons. I have ask people a couple times to add other Family Members. I once awhile back added one of my Mom cousin to the group and she immediately left. It could be I didn't ask before hand. I didn't dwell on it but I respect their wishes, Some are not interested in Family history. Some people may not wish to be in any FB Group

Did you talk to her about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy