Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:54 PM

166 posts, read 153,443 times

Advertisements

I actually found a marriage record on Ancestry for a Bill Farrington and a Priscilla! It might be them and might have more information on it, but I can't see it.

EDIT: Nevermind it was for their chiild, John Lewis Farrington to Martha Clark.

Last edited by dylanfurr246; 09-26-2018 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 09:50 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
I believe we worked on these Farringtons in the past.

Here is William's wife Priscilla enumerated as widow with her children in Caroline County, Virginia in 1880.
(Note that 1870 census Julius is called Lewis in 1880.)
There were several similar aged/named male Faringtons in Caroline County. This census indicates your William was dead by 1880. The one married to Hazel in 1900 census may be a different man.

P. Farrington
Birth Date: Abt 1830
Birthplace: Virginia
Home in 1880: Madison, Caroline, Virginia, USA
Dwelling Number: 187
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Virginia
Mother's Birthplace: Virginia
Cannot Read: Yes
Cannot Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
P. Farrington 50
Virginia Farrington 23
Mary Farrington 21
Lewis Farrington 12
Hassleton Farrington 3
Angelina Farrington 3

Note the image of the age of daughter Angelina looks like could be 2. Also consider Priscilla would have been 47-48 at birth of last two children- possibly the mother is one or both of her daughters (18 & 20 at that time).

Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times
Have you tried searching Civil War records on a site such as this? https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm

Given his age and location it is highly likely he served in the Confederate army in Virginia.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Have you tried searching Civil War records on a site such as this? https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm

Given his age and location it is highly likely he served in the Confederate army in Virginia.
I have not, admittedly, but doing a quick search on that website does not give any results for him, unfortunately.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Well, there maybe more parts to the puzzle to look for.

Alexandria Gazette, 3 June 1899,
Saturday, page 2

Their romance cut short. --
A.M. Beasley and Mrs. Emma Farrington, of Caroline county, arrived at Fredericksburg one night this week, riding on the front of an express car. They stopped at the home of Mrs. Farrington's sister, in that city. Soon news came from Caroline that Beasley had run off with another man's wife, and a warrant had been issued for his arrest. Officer Robinson, of the Fredericksburg police force, arrested Beasley and took him before Mayor Rowe. On his person was found a loaded revolver, for carrying which he was fined $20, and, in default, was sent to jail for sixty days. Officer K. R. Farish, with a warrant charging Beasley with fornication, arrived in Fredericksburg, and this morning and the accused was turned over to the officer, who carried him back to Caroline to answer the charge. Mrs. Farrington, who has a husband and four children, is still in Fredericksburg. She claims to be the fifth wife of Farrington.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Well, there maybe more parts to the puzzle to look for.

Alexandria Gazette, 3 June 1899,
Saturday, page 2

Their romance cut short. --
A.M. Beasley and Mrs. Emma Farrington, of Caroline county, arrived at Fredericksburg one night this week, riding on the front of an express car. They stopped at the home of Mrs. Farrington's sister, in that city. Soon news came from Caroline that Beasley had run off with another man's wife, and a warrant had been issued for his arrest. Officer Robinson, of the Fredericksburg police force, arrested Beasley and took him before Mayor Rowe. On his person was found a loaded revolver, for carrying which he was fined $20, and, in default, was sent to jail for sixty days. Officer K. R. Farish, with a warrant charging Beasley with fornication, arrived in Fredericksburg, and this morning and the accused was turned over to the officer, who carried him back to Caroline to answer the charge. Mrs. Farrington, who has a husband and four children, is still in Fredericksburg. She claims to be the fifth wife of Farrington.
My God, five wives. Now, besides wanting to know who his parents are, I'm curious to know the names of his wives. We have Priscilla Middlebrooks and Emma Haislip, who the heck are the other three?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Have you seen this one, Dylan? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPP-PDM

Name: William Farrington
Birth Date: Abt 1832
Birthplace: N Carolina
Dwelling Number: 56
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Sudie Farrington
Father's Birthplace: N Carolina
Mother's Birthplace: N Carolina
Household Members:
Name Age
William Farrington 48
Sudie Farrington 47
Archie Farrington 21
Landrum Farrington 18
Virginia Farrington 16
Tommy Farrington 14
Willie Farrington 12
Maggie Farrington 8

I know none of the children are consistent with the 1870 or 1900 censuses, but if he was really married 5 times and had children with all of them, he might have farmed some of them out to relatives/neighbors, etc and they may have come and gone from his own household periodically.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
SON OF A . I may have found some of your people. You're going to have to give me a minute, though. Any news on Priscilla's parents?
I think I might have found her mother and her living with some siblings here in the 1860 census, but am not 100% sure.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ameFilter=true

Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Have you seen this one, Dylan? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPP-PDM

Name: William Farrington
Birth Date: Abt 1832
Birthplace: N Carolina
Dwelling Number: 56
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Sudie Farrington
Father's Birthplace: N Carolina
Mother's Birthplace: N Carolina
Household Members:
Name Age
William Farrington 48
Sudie Farrington 47
Archie Farrington 21
Landrum Farrington 18
Virginia Farrington 16
Tommy Farrington 14
Willie Farrington 12
Maggie Farrington 8

I know none of the children are consistent with the 1870 or 1900 censuses, but if he was really married 5 times and had children with all of them, he might have farmed some of them out to relatives/neighbors, etc and they may have come and gone from his own household periodically.
I did see that 1880 actually, but when I first found it, I tossed it aside. However, now that we know he was married multiple times, and the fact that John Lewis' death record says that he was born in North Carolina, I'm starting to think that might be him, but am not 100%.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfurr246 View Post
I think I might have found her mother and her living with some siblings here in the 1860 census, but am not 100% sure.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ameFilter=true
Looks very likely to be her, everything matches what you know. It's in Chilesburg, VA which is right next to Madison, where they are in 1870.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy