Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:47 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is now no doubt that she has native American ancestry.

However, I do not buy the idea that she has never used her NA ancestry for gain in her professional or political careers. Why even mention it at all in professional if she did not expect it to benefit her in some way? At the point that she was claiming it she could not confirm it.

The small amount of DNA she has does not, as others have noted, establish that she is ethnically NA, and I have a problem with her claiming that she is.
She does not claim she is Native American, she has in her own words only said she has Native American ancestry. In the 80s in Penn Law School in three years in a directory she is indicated as being Native American/Minority meaning she filled out a form and likely checked she had Native ancestry and the school chose to present that in a way that make the faculty seem more diverse. She applied to Penn as a "white" woman not Native American and Harvard confirms the same. Comprehensive investigations have revealed a consensus among staff members at both places that knew her and were involved in hiring concur that most didn't even know of any alleged Native ancestry and she applied purely as a white woman.

Basically she believed her family stories, flagged a couple of directory sheets as having Native ancestry (not the same as saying she was Native American, it's unclear on the specifics of this) and the school tried to use her to boast diversity (seeming unknown to her in most cases).

This is not what some people are painting, there is a great deal of research into this, in particular the Boston Globe did an extensive investigation and there really is nothing here. She purely identifies and has only identified as someone with Native ancestry as her DNA confirms is true (though might not be where she thinks it is).

Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Oh please, 5% is just "noise"
I am 25% Native American and that is not noise, I know my great grandmother is full Native American. And I know this since I was a kid.
Well, as you probably know, one can be an enrolled member in some tribes, like the Cherokees, with just 1/16 % Cherokee heritage, a little above Warren's %, so there are some tribes that don't consider 1/16 to be mere "noise". but she's not arguing that a small percent is significant. She's never pushed the point at all, after discovering the family lore was erroneous.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, as you probably know, one can be an enrolled member in some tribes, like the Cherokees, with just 1/16 % Cherokee heritage, a little above Warren's %, so there are some tribes that don't consider 1/16 to be mere "noise". but she's not arguing that a small percent is significant. She's never pushed the point at all, after discovering the family lore was erroneous.
A segment of 13.4cM is not erroneous she has some Amerindian DNA the ancestor lived about 8 generations back.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
A great point.

Actually you don't need any minimum amount of blood quantum to join the Cherokee Nation. The current Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation has only 1/32nd Cherokee. You have to have an ancestor on a specific set of roles (basically the ones recording the trail of tears).

The Principal Chief of the Cherokee during the trail of tears, who had strong support from most of the purest bloods, was only 1/8th.

Tribal membership for the Cherokee Nation has nothing to do with blood quantum and no tribe uses DNA tests to determine membership. It's a cultural thing more than a blood thing. One can have Native Ancestry, even 100% theoretically and not be a part of a tribe.

Having an ancestor of a certain ethnic or cultural group is different than being that group. People mixing the two are just playing politics with genealogy and what was actually said. Like in Ghostbusters, don't cross the streams!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Sorry but real Native Americans with a tribal affiliation would not consider you a Native American your Amerindian DNA is from South American and you are culturally Latino.
We are the same people !!!

Take a look at the C1 Haplogroup map below:

Old 10-15-2018, 03:19 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
We are the same people !!!

Take a look at the C1 Haplogroup map below:
Sorry no that is like saying that all Africans are the same, that all east Asians are the same and that all Europeans are the same people. They're not. Might as well just say that we're the same as chimps or amoebas, bacteria since we share DNA. Aznick lived 12,500-12,700 years ago in Montana it's been a long time since those NA groups have spread out in the Americas. It a very USA thing to divide people into categories like Native American, White, Black, Asian but that is a unique quirk that is laughed at by much of the world. Okay try this see if you can register as a Navajo tribal member since all NA's are the same people.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:53 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I just read that the Cherokee Nation has responded to Warren's DNA test. Their statement says DNA test is "useless in determining tribal citizenship".

Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
This. And I'm not aware that she's "still claiming" to be Native American. She originally thought she had significant Native Am. ancestry, because of family lore she was raised with. It happens. The issue has been blown way out of proportion and perpetuated, for political reasons. Ignore. Tempest in a teapot. Some people felt threatened by her popularity, because she's so strongly in favor of working class people who get screwed over by corporations or employers. She would have made a formidable political opponent, if she'd chosen to run for President, but she decided she could be more effective as a member of Congress.

That is not true. She filled out forms claiming to be Native American, and living the N/A life, when she did no such thing. She had no tribal affiliation. She was claiming to be something she was not, and claiming minority status to promote her career.

U. Penn and Harvard Made Federal Filings Based On Warren's Represenations

Warren, did not meet the two part test[SIZE=3][24][/SIZE] under Harvard and EEOC definitions of Native American, a definition which likely was on the page[SIZE=3][25][/SIZE] when she checked the box. That definition requires both actual Native American ancestry and cultural identification through tribal affiliation or comunity recognition.

I'm more Native American than she is. And I don't claim NA heritage on federal forms, applications, etc.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
And her results are:
95% European
5% Native American

I am 25% Native American and I don't think is right from my part to claim to be Native American. Not sure how this woman is still claiming to be Native American. 5% is just a trace by the way.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...ed_Box_Article
Because she has an axe to grind.

She's NOT a Native American and apparently has no tribal affiliation and the only cultural heritage she has is family story about a Native American ancestor.

I'm not a fan of DT but he's right to be mocking her for this. The fact is that she is a white woman of European origins whether she likes that or not.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
She never claimed to be Native American, she only claimed to have Native American ancestry which is proven now by this test.

Anyway, you're from South America, right? That's a different history and culture and can't be compared to this case.
From Snopes

“The legitimacy of Warren’s claims to Native American heritage has certainly been challenged by many critics, and it is true that while Warren was at U. Penn. Law School she put herself on the “Minority Law Teacher” list as Native American) in the faculty directory of the Association of American Law Schools, and that Harvard Law School at one time promoted Warren as a Native American faculty member.”

Sounds like she did claim it to me.

Hard to say she benefited from it but it certainly wouldn’t hurt being labeled as a female minority for her teaching career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy