Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 596 times

Advertisements

my husband was adopted. we just found out that his oldest brother and him are either half brother/cousin or half brother/uncle nephew. his oldest brother does not want to the ancestry dna test. we are waitin gon his other brothers to retake the ancestry dna test. my husband brother that we are waiting for the dna test, son did the ancestry dna test. his cm numbers are 1,762 cMs across 68 segments. now, we were told by my husbands birth mother that my husbands 2 oldest brothers have the same father. if this is the case. than is my husbands and his cm numbers match up to that or does family cross over affect the numbers? I can not find anything online about cm number for family cross overs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
This needs to be unraveled. When you say "my husbands 2 oldest brothers have the same father" does that mean they have the same father as your husband, or the same father as each other but different from your husband's father? The amount of cM your husband shares with the nephew would suggest your husband's two older brothers have the same mother and father as your husband.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlye2 View Post
now, we were told by my husbands birth mother that my husbands 2 oldest brothers have the same father.
Then go to Family Tree DNA and have a Y-DNA test done.

You don't need your husband's brothers. You only need one of your husband's brother's sons to test.

If your husband and his nephews match, then that's irrefutable proof your husband's father is the same as his brother's father.

If they don't match, then his mother is confused.

In addition to having a match, you'll have the Y-DNA Haplogroup and know where your husband's fore-fathers originated.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:04 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I'm not sure I'm following the situation and I'm not sure what you mean by family cross overs? All I can say is that 1,762 cM is either a half sibling, grandparent/child, or uncle/nephew. So if you're saying your husband and his nephew (that's what it sounds like) share 1762 cM, that confirms that they are uncle/nephew. This means the nephew's father (your husband's brother) is his full sibling, not a half sibling.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Also cannot follow what is being asked.

Will share that my husband tested. After getting his results and going through matches I saw that his younger, half brother had also tested.

They share 1748 cms across 57 segments. He is listed on ancestry as "close family-1st cousin" of my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy