Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Could this be Francis? He was a clerk.

Name: Frank Goveia
Arrival date: 26 Sep 1908
Birth Date: abt 1877
Birth Location: Demersea
Birth Location Other: georgetoure
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Portuguese
Port of Departure: Demerara, Guyana
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Guiana

On the ship manifest, he said his sister Mary De Silva was relative in place he came from ..Georgetown, Demerara.

Which would suggest he is not a married man in 1908. Since some of the children of Augusta named on her naturaluzation were born pre-1908, this man might not be the Francis Goveia sought.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 PM

112 posts, read 62,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
On the ship manifest, he said his sister Mary De Silva was relative in place he came from ..Georgetown, Demerara.

Which would suggest he is not a married man in 1908. Since some of the children of Augusta named on her naturaluzation were born pre-1908, this man might not be the Francis Goveia sought.
Yeah that's what I think. The picture I have of Francis Goveia looks like a late twenties-thirties man in the 1920's. HIs daughter was Hermina Goveia, and he had a son Eugene. Also, is there any way I can find the birth records of people born in Guyana anywhere

Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I did a quick tree for you, attached whatever records family search suggested. Keep your eye on it, there may be more records coming.

Francis Goveia born 17 December 1874 British Guiana
Died 4 May 1924 Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Burial 06 May 1924 Calvary cemetery New York, NY, not able to figure out which Calvary cemetery as there are many otherwise I'd make him a find a grave memorial to attach to his wife Augusta who's buried with her son Francis. I requested them connected. I'm also not seeing Francis wife Margaret Callahan on find a grave

Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I did a quick tree for you, attached whatever records family search suggested. Keep your eye on it, there may be more records coming.

Francis Goveia born 17 December 1874 British Guiana
Died 4 May 1924 Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Burial 06 May 1924 Calvary cemetery New York, NY, not able to figure out which Calvary cemetery as there are many otherwise I'd make him a find a grave memorial to attach to his wife Augusta who's buried with her son Francis. I requested them connected. I'm also not seeing Francis wife Margaret Callahan on find a grave

Hi thanks for the info My great-great grandfather's brother was Francis Goveia Jr( by talking to cousins and linking our connection) and his wife was Augusta Drummond nee Goveia not Margaret Callahan. He was born to Francis Goveia, and Charlotte Goveia. They wrote a letter from Georgetown, Guyana to my great-great grandfather in the late twenties so i know they were alive in the 1930's. 1874 seems too distant since my great-great grandfather was born in 1903.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Do you know who Augusta Serrao is? The name is attached to the New York Passenger Arrival Lists of Auguste Gouveia, Hermina and Anthony Rupert Gouveia

Old 11-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Hi thanks for the info My great-great grandfather's brother was Francis Goveia Jr( by talking to cousins and linking our connection) and his wife was Augusta Drummond nee Goveia not Margaret Callahan. He was born to Francis Goveia, and Charlotte Goveia. They wrote a letter from Georgetown, Guyana to my great-great grandfather in the late twenties so i know they were alive in the 1930's. 1874 seems too distant since my great-great grandfather was born in 1903.
The tree was built using the docs PA2UK provided. All the DOB's are there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
He is traveling alone.

His wife’s naturalization papers are available at Ancestry.com - looks like she filed after his death.

https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/149...edium=copy-url

https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/149...edium=copy-url
How can they be too old when your original post said

Quote:
I'm trying to find information about my great-great-great grandparents Charlotte Goveia, and Francis Goveia who were born in the either in mid or late 1800's in British Guiana. I know they had a son Francis Goveia Jr who is my uncle but i would like to know their other children especially the name of my great-great grandfather born in 1903. Their birth records are in the Guyana. if anyone can help that would be great

Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The tree was built using the docs PA2UK provided. All the DOB's are there

How can they be too old when your original post said
Is there anyway I can post a picture of Francis Goveia Jr my uncle;(great-great-great uncle) and his wife Augusta Drummond?

Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Is there anyway I can post a picture of Francis Goveia Jr my uncle;(great-great-great uncle) and his wife Augusta Drummond?
Why don't you go on FamilySearch and work with the tree that Roselvr so kindly started for you? This is your family; you should show a bit more initiative and look up the information yourself.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You have a few Francis with the same name.

Francis 1 was married to Charlotte
Francis Goveia 2 born 17 December 1874 married to Augusta Drummond
Francis Goveia 3 born 5 July 1900

So you're saying your few times great grandfather was brothers with Francis Goveia 2 born 17 December 1874 married to Augusta Drummond? What is your few times great grandfathers name? I will work him into the tree to see if I get hints. I didn't see him with any of the searches I did. I also had not seen Francis 1 was married to Charlotte come to the US.

Quote:
Hit the reply box, there is a picture showing, click it. It has to be hosted on another site.
Right click here to open in a new tab, it goes to your profile. Networking on the left, then Pictures & Albums. Click Add Album, give it a title like post stuff then add your pic. Once your pic is uploaded, click it, you'll see BB Code, copy it and post it like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why don't you go on FamilySearch and work with the tree that Roselvr so kindly started for you? This is your family; you should show a bit more initiative and look up the information yourself.
Thanks. Yeah, it's his family. I'm sure of that as I'm not seeing any other Francis Goveia coming here. I had a little free time yesterday so figured I'd make a quick tree to keep them sorted and to see what other records there were. I was surprised there were so many.

All he has to do is join family search if he hasn't already.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-21-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You have a few Francis with the same name.

Francis 1 was married to Charlotte
Francis Goveia 2 born 17 December 1874 married to Augusta Drummond
Francis Goveia 3 born 5 July 1900

So you're saying your few times great grandfather was brothers with Francis Goveia 2 born 17 December 1874 married to Augusta Drummond? What is your few times great grandfathers name? I will work him into the tree to see if I get hints. I didn't see him with any of the searches I did. I also had not seen Francis 1 was married to Charlotte come to the US.
I have a new search up. Goveia born 'British Guiana' born 1878-1930 residence US; which brings more people.

As I said, would be helpful to have whatever info you know so it can be worked into the tree, or join and add it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy