Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times

Advertisements

https://abc13.com/news/eyewitness-ne...ffice/1086032/
This article is from a few years ago, but it hasn’t really changed. That particular post office is notorious for delays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
My uncles Ancestry DNA is done processing!!!! Will be uploading it shortly. So unexpected! I was sitting here with my grand daughter at 6:30 this morning and decided to see how it was going, I wasn't expecting it to be done so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You can always take a cruise ship from the US to Europe. Lots of cruise liners do relatively cheaper "repositioning trips" from one season to another, where you basically go from one continent to another with very little to no stops in between.
Thanks. I never would have thought about a cruise ship. I've never been on one so am not sure if I get sea sick lol

Quote:
I had a friend in high school (early 90's) who was born in the US with his older brother, but his parents immigrated from Hungary in the early 70's. His Dad was a medical doctor, who came to the US to practice family medicine. They (my friend and his brother) both learned Hungarian growing up in the US and when I went over to their house to visit, their dog only knew Hungarian, so it would look at me with a 'I have no idea what you are saying' when I talked to it in English!
Funny their dog only understood Hungarian. I'm surprised the parents didn't learn English.

Quote:
Both my friend and his older brother went by their middle names, Nicholas and Peter, respectively, and while their first names are common for males in Hungary, no so much in the US. My friend's first name was László and his older brother's first name was Attila. They go by both their 1st names now.
One of my US FB friends has a grandson with my uncles name Kalman which you don't hear in the US either. Her grandson was put up for adoption; he was adopted by a Hungarian couple.

Quote:
I did a trip back in the spring of 2015 to southeastern Europe, flew into Budapest and was there for 4 days, then took the train south to Belgrade, Serbia and went to Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina, then onto Nikšić and Kotor in Montenegro, then finally to Dubrovnik in Croatia. I just did touristy things, but there's a good chance I have distant relatives in some of those places I visited. I'll be back once I get that family tree filled in!
That's pretty neat. One of these days I hope to be able to do a trip like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That sounds awful. One of the attractions for me of Budapest was the numerous geothermal mineral baths and spas (both indoor and outdoor) with their staffs of massage therapists. It's a huge industry there. Soaking at the outdoor Széchenyi baths was a memorable experience. Don't know if that could help your problem.
I watch a show called destination unknown where he visited the mineral baths. I totally forgot about it. I'll have to ask my cousin if he's ever tried one. He was suffering from an injury he got when his dad passed 2 years ago. He couldn't even work 6 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
wait till they run the test, it took mine 120 days
I'm praying USPS updates to say it's reached another destination. I can't believe it hasn't updated since the 4th. The 120 days will surely suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
https://abc13.com/news/eyewitness-ne...ffice/1086032/
This article is from a few years ago, but it hasn’t really changed. That particular post office is notorious for delays
It sure hasn't changed! His DNA is still stuck at Houston with the last update December 4, In Transit to Next Facility. I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't update today or tomorrow

Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
[b]Funny their dog only understood Hungarian. I'm surprised the parents didn't learn English.
His parents were bilingual, his Dad's English was much better than his mom's, since he was a family doctor here in the US.

Not sure why they didn't teach the dog English as well, nothing like a bilingual dog!

I think the reasoning my friend and his older brother were taught Hungarian growing up in the US, was to keep that connection with where his parents came from, even though he was born in the US with his brother and will probably never live in Hungary, they still have family over there today.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
His parents were bilingual, his Dad's English was much better than his mom's, since he was a family doctor here in the US.

Not sure why they didn't teach the dog English as well, nothing like a bilingual dog!

I think the reasoning my friend and his older brother were taught Hungarian growing up in the US, was to keep that connection with where his parents came from, even though he was born in the US with his brother and will probably never live in Hungary, they still have family over there today.
Tell your friends if you still see them that they can apply for dual citizenship with Hungary. It's on my list of stuff to do. From what I read I will need my parents birth certificates.

They're lucky they were taught Hungarian so that if they ever go there or get into doing family trees they're able to communicate with Hungarian relatives that still live there. I wish my parents taught us. I have a friend that translates my cousin and uncles FB messages, I still have not picked up many words even though they're common words like hello, hello girls; kisses. It may as well be Chinese.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Has anyone had this happen? My uncles FTDNA Y-DNA test is on a long drive to where ever it's going. I'm signed up for text updates; on Nov 29th, it got to the North Houston TX distribution center, the next day it went to one in Houston TX, departed Houston to go back to the North Houston TX distribution center then departed and arrived back at Houston TX. I'll see what happens tomorrow but it looks like I'm going to have to call to see what's going on.

I just googled to get their address; they're in Houston Texas so I really don't understand what's going on.

His Ancestry test has been there a week already. The test got to Ancestry last Monday, took 3 days from NJ. I love that Ancestry now texts. They texted me yesterday to say the DNA is being extracted. I don't think I'm going to make My Heritage free uploads

Getting anxious with this test. It was expensive, I doubt he'd do another if it gets lost. Does anyone know how long it will take for results once they do get it?

FTDNA
1445 North Loop West,Suite 820
Houston,Texas 77008
USA

Quote:
November 23, 2018, 11:39 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SOUTH JERSEY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 1:42 am
Arrived at USPS Destination Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 30, 2018, 6:45 am
Departed USPS Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 30, 2018, 6:54 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

November 30, 2018, 9:37 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

November 30, 2018, 10:04 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77008

December 4, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
So I went to track it as I've gotten no updates since Dec 4th and once again scanned at Houston but I didn't get the update to text or email. Says delivered tomorrow. I was going to my post office tomorrow to complain.

Quote:
December 15, 2018, 11:11 am
Arrived at Unit
HOUSTON, TX 77008
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 11:11 am on December 15, 2018 in HOUSTON, TX 77008.
Quote:
Expected Delivery on Monday 17 December 2018 by 8:00pm

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-16-2018 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
So I went to track it as I've gotten no updates since Dec 4th and once again scanned at Houston but I didn't get the update to text or email. Says delivered tomorrow. I was going to my post office tomorrow to complain.
It is the crazy time of year for mail. Expect long lines.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It is the crazy time of year for mail. Expect long lines.
I mailed it November 23rd before the Christmas rush; the ancestry test got to Utah in 3 days; this test has been in Houston since the 26th, which was 3 days. It also was supposed to be delivered that day but got shuffled between Houston and North Houston. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this test wouldn't get there in 3 days like they originally told me or I would have held on to it until the Christmas rush was over. Live and learn. I'll be sure to leave feedback somewhere so others know.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:46 PM

FTDNA emailed to say it was delivered. I have no updated texts from USPS. Guess their service is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy