Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:49 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this happen? My uncles FTDNA Y-DNA test is on a long drive to where ever it's going. I'm signed up for text updates; on Nov 29th, it got to the North Houston TX distribution center, the next day it went to one in Houston TX, departed Houston to go back to the North Houston TX distribution center then departed and arrived back at Houston TX. I'll see what happens tomorrow but it looks like I'm going to have to call to see what's going on.

I just googled to get their address; they're in Houston Texas so I really don't understand what's going on.

His Ancestry test has been there a week already. The test got to Ancestry last Monday, took 3 days from NJ. I love that Ancestry now texts. They texted me yesterday to say the DNA is being extracted. I don't think I'm going to make My Heritage free uploads

Getting anxious with this test. It was expensive, I doubt he'd do another if it gets lost. Does anyone know how long it will take for results once they do get it?

FTDNA
1445 North Loop West,Suite 820
Houston,Texas 77008
USA

Quote:
November 23, 2018, 11:39 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SOUTH JERSEY NJ DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 1:42 am
Arrived at USPS Destination Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 30, 2018, 6:45 am
Departed USPS Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 30, 2018, 6:54 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

November 30, 2018, 9:37 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

November 30, 2018, 10:04 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
HOUSTON, TX 77008

December 4, 2018
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 08:23 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
I would try not to monitor it too closely, just keep breathing and be patient. Depending on which Y test you ordered it could take a long time. After it is received and batched they will post an estimated date for completion of results to his account. Often they take longer than advertised. But you could get lucky. I wouldn't worry about the kit looping around the Houston area, it will eventually reach its destination.

Is this your Magyar uncle?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I would try not to monitor it too closely, just keep breathing and be patient. Depending on which Y test you ordered it could take a long time. After it is received and batched they will post an estimated date for completion of results to his account. Often they take longer than advertised. But you could get lucky. I wouldn't worry about the kit looping around the Houston area, it will eventually reach its destination.

Is this your Magyar uncle?
Yes, my 80 year old Magyar uncle. The tests have been on a world tour already, mailed to NJ, then to Hungary and back. They got to vacation in Budapest 3 months while he decided if he was doing them.

I just got him a basic Y-37 test that was on sale $130, now it's on sale for $99. I'd love to buy my male cousin on my mothers side one but I doubt he'd have anyone in the database with our grandfathers last name. All I know is after seeing it $99, I won't want to pay more then that again. Maybe next year as it's not happening this year.

I bought the cousin an ancestry test that's stuck in Budapest customs. I guess I'll have to unregister it to him and send another. I'm curious to see what similar DNA he shares with me. We're very much alike; take after our grandmother from what he tells me. I wouldn't know, I never met her like he did.

I'll try to remember to breathe. I just don't understand why the tests are touring Texas now lol

Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Mine bounced around Houston for a while before heading back to Austin. The shipping industry feels like trying to fly from one a non-hub city to another hub city and having to make four stops to get on connecting flights several times to get somewhere that was closer then those four stops.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Mine bounced around Houston for a while before heading back to Austin. The shipping industry feels like trying to fly from one a non-hub city to another hub city and having to make four stops to get on connecting flights several times to get somewhere that was closer then those four stops.
Thanks. Glad to know mine isn't the only one.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yes, my 80 year old Magyar uncle. The tests have been on a world tour already, mailed to NJ, then to Hungary and back. They got to vacation in Budapest 3 months while he decided if he was doing them.

I just got him a basic Y-37 test that was on sale $130, now it's on sale for $99. I'd love to buy my male cousin on my mothers side one but I doubt he'd have anyone in the database with our grandfathers last name. All I know is after seeing it $99, I won't want to pay more then that again. Maybe next year as it's not happening this year.

I bought the cousin an ancestry test that's stuck in Budapest customs. I guess I'll have to unregister it to him and send another. I'm curious to see what similar DNA he shares with me. We're very much alike; take after our grandmother from what he tells me. I wouldn't know, I never met her like he did.

I'll try to remember to breathe. I just don't understand why the tests are touring Texas now lol
I spent a week in Budapest in 2004 and loved it there, visited a friend who grew up there and gave me a kind of insider's view. I thought I'd like to live there for a while once I retired (which was four years ago) but I find the current political atmosphere there depressing. But I could say that about the U.S. as well. And I spent years studying Hungarian and gaining proficiency in that language but now have no use for it. As you probably know Hungarians have a reputation for being intelligent and accomplished, they have won more Nobel Prizes per capita than any other country I think. My friend from there clearly is some kind of genius. I think his command of English is even better than mine (I'm a native English speaker) and that was before he'd ever set foot outside Hungary.

Anyway, your testing of family there sounds like fun and I think you have crossed the major hurdle with your uncle already, just getting him to send in his sample. Now you just have to wait for the results. Keep us posted!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I spent a week in Budapest in 2004 and loved it there, visited a friend who grew up there and gave me a kind of insider's view. I thought I'd like to live there for a while once I retired (which was four years ago) but I find the current political atmosphere there depressing. But I could say that about the U.S. as well. And I spent years studying Hungarian and gaining proficiency in that language but now have no use for it. As you probably know Hungarians have a reputation for being intelligent and accomplished, they have won more Nobel Prizes per capita than any other country I think. My friend from there clearly is some kind of genius. I think his command of English is even better than mine (I'm a native English speaker) and that was before he'd ever set foot outside Hungary.

Anyway, your testing of family there sounds like fun and I think you have crossed the major hurdle with your uncle already, just getting him to send in his sample. Now you just have to wait for the results. Keep us posted!
I go to the Europe section every now and then, there are others who said the same thing about retiring to Budapest and who knows, maybe I'll go "home" one day too. I'd like to apply for dual citizenship. From what I've read I'm entitled to it. I'd just need to provide my parents birth certificates. I wish I could visit there, suffer chronic pain from a failed lumbar fusion. a short flight kills me. I would have to be knocked out for the plane ride.

My cousin is very anti government over there. He regularly gets booted off of facebook for his political views.

I wish I could speak Hungarian to be able to communicate with my uncle and cousin. Thankfully a Hungarian neighbor found me at the NextDoor site. My biggest regret is my parents didn't teach us to speak the language. They were trying to learn English and I think that they liked that they could talk in a different language when they fought; which they did a lot. One of my dads last days he told me Hungarian was a very difficult language. He was going to be calling his brother; he hoped he'd remember enough to hold a conversation with him.

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-11-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
I wish I could visit there, suffer chronic pain from a failed lumbar fusion. a short flight kills me. I would have to be knocked out for the plane ride.
You can always take a cruise ship from the US to Europe. Lots of cruise liners do relatively cheaper "repositioning trips" from one season to another, where you basically go from one continent to another with very little to no stops in between.

I had a friend in high school (early 90's) who was born in the US with his older brother, but his parents immigrated from Hungary in the early 70's. His Dad was a medical doctor, who came to the US to practice family medicine. They (my friend and his brother) both learned Hungarian growing up in the US and when I went over to their house to visit, their dog only knew Hungarian, so it would look at me with a 'I have no idea what you are saying' when I talked to it in English!

Both my friend and his older brother went by their middle names, Nicholas and Peter, respectively, and while their first names are common for males in Hungary, no so much in the US. My friend's first name was László and his older brother's first name was Attila. They go by both their 1st names now.

I did a trip back in the spring of 2015 to southeastern Europe, flew into Budapest and was there for 4 days, then took the train south to Belgrade, Serbia and went to Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina, then onto NikÅ¡ić and Kotor in Montenegro, then finally to Dubrovnik in Croatia. I just did touristy things, but there's a good chance I have distant relatives in some of those places I visited. I'll be back once I get that family tree filled in!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I go to the Europe section every now and then, there are others who said the same thing about retiring to Budapest and who knows, maybe I'll go "home" one day too. I'd like to apply for dual citizenship. From what I've read I'm entitled to it. I'd just need to provide my parents birth certificates. I wish I could visit there, suffer chronic pain from a failed lumbar fusion. a short flight kills me. I would have to be knocked out for the plane ride.
That sounds awful. One of the attractions for me of Budapest was the numerous geothermal mineral baths and spas (both indoor and outdoor) with their staffs of massage therapists. It's a huge industry there. Soaking at the outdoor Széchenyi baths was a memorable experience. Don't know if that could help your problem.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
wait till they run the test, it took mine 120 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy