Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't automatically believe an email from a stranger. You need proof.
I contacted the adoption agency (yes, they are still around, a religious operated group) they pulled my adoption records, I gave them specifics and they confirmed that in mid to late 1959 adoptive parents went through pre screening and that by November or December they were approved and I was placed in February 1960..

Then the wall fell on me..IT WAS REAL and zero chance of an Ancestry SNAFU...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If you have a little money you may want to think of purchasing a Y-DNA for your bio father and an mt-DNA for your mother. They're on sale at FTDNA until the 31st. The Y-DNA is $99, down from $170. I've never seen it that cheap; have been watching prices for 3 years. I paid $130 for my uncles. mtDNA is $139, down from $200. Once your bio parents are gone, you lose the ability to test their DNA. You will be able to add mt-DNA from your fathers sample at a later time if you choose to; to track his mothers line. I believe you said you had a sister, you can get her to do the mtDNA to track your bio mothers female line so it's not urgent that you get your bio mothers. I'm unsure if you're male or female so am throwing it out there. If you're male, you can do the Y-DNA but you won't be able to get your fathers mothers line from yourself.

Ancestry DNA should be going on sale in the next few months.

Of course red flag number one would be your adopted, amended birth certificate. Do you have your birth certificate by now?

What about your siblings? Were they adopted too?

If you're like me, you're going to break down crying for a really long time. It's especially hard when you can't get answers from someone who's deceased.

Still trying to get the birth certificate from the government agencies.

The adoption record will reveal if my adoptive parents had later adoptions. I spent the night with a soaking wet pillow...

Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
When I applied for a passport in 1995. The clerk said the documents were not valid and then she looked at me with that OH MY...look and said YOU REALLY DO NOT KNOW...and then said HONEY, YOU REALLY NEED TO TALK WITH THE PEOPLE YOU THINK ARE YOUR PARENTS...

Of course mom vehemently denied it. then there was the flag that I never ever saw my birth certificate...mom claimed it was "lost" and that one day when I needed one, we could get a replacement..

Now I am finding out that my siblings had conversations with mom and dad at different times that created suspicion, but they never told me, quite possible because they did not consciously register the comments?

If there is any thing to take from this it is this---as I was just lying in bed sobbing--

IF I HAD TO DO OVER AGAIN, I WOULD SPEND WAY MORE TIME COMMUNICATING, NOT TALKING, COMMUNICATING WITH MY PARENTS AND MY SIBLINGS..

And I would have been more open and honest with my words..
Very similar to the way I found out. My father was applying for me as a minor to get my citizenship papers and so I could get a passport, and when the question of when he and my mother were married come up, he gave the correct date, which was 5 months before I was born. I thought it was a mistake what I heard, until I saw the date on the citizenship application I had to sign. Yeah, it shook me up, but didn't say anything for a couple of days; I had to absorb it. Sorry what you went through, that was much more traumatic.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 AM

So..having met my birth father, I can say without a doubt that physical characteristic are not all the is contained in genetic material.

He is a hoot and at 76 is is a reflection of me when I was younger and less "responsible."

Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
So..having met my birth father, I can say without a doubt that physical characteristic are not all the is contained in genetic material.

He is a hoot and at 76 is is a reflection of me when I was younger and less "responsible."
Love it!

Glad you have a good expirence.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:54 AM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:

The adoption record will reveal if my adoptive parents had later adoptions. I spent the night with a soaking wet pillow...
I'm a little confused. I thought the state issued a new birth certificate with the adopting parents listed as bio parents, and also showing the child with the same last name as adopting parents (upon completion of the adoption). Maybe this varies from state to state? I thought this was done for a few reasons.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:54 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Wel congrats to OP for finding and I hope welcoming a whole lotta new family members

Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

I know you did. I had many nights like that too. Still do. It's a very hard pill to swallow

Quote:

Glad to hear you clicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
I'm a little confused. I thought the state issued a new birth certificate with the adopting parents listed as bio parents, and also showing the child with the same last name as adopting parents (upon completion of the adoption). Maybe this varies from state to state? I thought this was done for a few reasons.
They do, it's called an amended birth certificate; but becomes the OP's official birth certificate.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know you did. I had many nights like that too. Still do. It's a very hard pill to swallow

Glad to hear you clicked

They do, it's called an amended birth certificate; but becomes the OP's official birth certificate.
Yes. The original certificate is sealed & an adoptee had to petition the court & be awarded access.

Recent law changes in some states are allowing adoptees to access their original birth record.

Keep in mind that the info on that record may be partially or completely false, so it is a good idea to attempt to get access to any adoption files.

One reason for the amended birth record has to do with being a legitimate legal heir of the adopted parents. There can be no legal challenge or diminished share of estate if the birth certificate shows adopted parents as parents.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
there was a new birth certificate that was amended with my adoptive parents' names.. But I believe it looks different from a certificate for a biological child?

On my initial certificate, I understand there were markers that would identify it as having been adopted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy