U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 PM

614 posts, read 402,118 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if Middle Eastern is caucasian as well?
In my particular case I am mostly European with some Middle Eastern ( as per FTDNA)
European 46%
New World 28%
Middle Eastern 13%
African 8%
Jewish Diaspora 2%
---------------------------------------------
So, I am 59% caucasian? plus 2% Jew (which are caucasian as well) , so I am 61% caucasian?, 28% Native American and 8% african?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 PM

8,472 posts, read 13,177,561 times
If you mean the Caucasian race, yes, the Middle East is included in that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

"The Caucasian race (also Caucasoid[1] or Europid)[2] is a grouping of human beings historically regarded as a biological taxon, which, depending on which of the historical race classifications used, has usually included some or all of the ancient and modern populations of Europe, Western Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa.[3]"

The Middle East is Western Asia.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 PM

18,678 posts, read 13,687,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Anyone know if Middle Eastern is caucasian as well?
Yes.

Caucasian refers to the thousands of tribal groups that originated in the area between the Caucus Mountains and Lake Baikal.

For whatever strange bizarre reason, they never migrated East, rather they migrated West into Europe, or South into Mesopotamia, the Iranian Plateau or India. If I had to guess, I'd say climate had a lot to do with it.

Over the millennia, these migrating groups often had contact with established civilizations with disastrous results. They destroyed the Hittite Empire around 1900 BCE, then were in conflict with the Greeks for centuries. Herodotus and others wrote about them. The had conflicts with the Roman Empire.

Most of the migrations ended around 800 CE, but you still had migrating groups of Turks for a few centuries after that, and they were the last group to come out of the area.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 AM
bjh

28,166 posts, read 23,233,542 times
It probably refers to non-Jewish Semitic.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM

60 posts, read 11,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It probably refers to non-Jewish Semitic.
There are plenty of non-Semitic speaking groups that are also Middle Easterners such as Persians, Kurds, Turks, Armenians, etc.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,267,770 times
According to the U.S Census Bureau, Caucasian is used to describe people of European, North African and Middle Eastern decent. Some Latin Americans are also considered Caucasian with the highest % coming from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina and Chile. In my personal opinion Middle Eastern or Arab is not a monotone race, as there are many differences on how people look. I wouldn't mistake someone from Saudi Arabia or Egypt as being of European decent, they have a very unique look that I wouldn't associate with Caucasian. However there was a Moroccan guy at my job who I mistook for Italian until I heard him speaking Arabic. I've seen many Iranians who are most certainly Caucasian, in particular the most recent mayor of Tehran who could easily pass for German or British.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:14 PM

614 posts, read 402,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
According to the U.S Census Bureau, Caucasian is used to describe people of European, North African and Middle Eastern decent. Some Latin Americans are also considered Caucasian with the highest % coming from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina and Chile. In my personal opinion Middle Eastern or Arab is not a monotone race, as there are many differences on how people look. I wouldn't mistake someone from Saudi Arabia or Egypt as being of European decent, they have a very unique look that I wouldn't associate with Caucasian. However there was a Moroccan guy at my job who I mistook for Italian until I heard him speaking Arabic. I've seen many Iranians who are most certainly Caucasian, in particular the most recent mayor of Tehran who could easily pass for German or British.
Yes, the Berbers from Northern Africa are blond with blue eyes.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM

8,472 posts, read 13,177,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Yes, the Berbers from Northern Africa are blond with blue eyes.
They can be blonde and/or have blue eyes, but that's not necessarily the case, and I would say it's likely not the norm either. No population is exclusively blonde with blue eyes, certainly not a North African one.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
bjh

28,166 posts, read 23,233,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST29 View Post
There are plenty of non-Semitic speaking groups that are also Middle Easterners such as Persians, Kurds, Turks, Armenians, etc.
Okay.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

654 posts, read 281,128 times
Caucasian is really not a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy