Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being a scientist and science nerd in general, I was surprised by the two different sperm fertilizing the same egg. Not to get too scientific, but in school, we were taught the zona pellucida helps protect the egg and is responsible for mediating the initial meeting of sperm and egg. Cortical granules filled with enzymes line the inside of the cell membrane, and help make sure that only one sperm can fertilize the egg.

As the sperm approach the egg, they bind to the zona pellucida in a process known as sperm binding. This triggers the acrosome reaction, in which the enzymes of the acrosome are freed. These enzymes then begin to digest the zona pellucida and allow the sperm to tunnel toward the egg’s plasma membrane. When the sperm cell finally reaches the egg cell, the plasma membranes of the two cells fuse together and the sperm releases its genetic material into the egg.

Fusion also triggers the cortical reaction. When the sperm and egg fuse it triggers a release of calcium ions, which cause the cortical granules inside the egg to fuse with the plasma membrane. As they fuse, these granules release their contents outside of the cell, toward the remains of the zona pellucida. The enzymes of the cortical granules further digest the zona pellucida, making it unable to bind more sperm, while other molecules found in the granules create a new protective layer around the fertilized egg.

By creating a new barrier and destroying the initial interface between sperm and egg, the cortical reaction prevents polyspermy, or the fertilization of a single egg by multiple sperm.

Because of everything I just mentioned, the only way I can think of for two different sperm to fertilize the same egg, would be if it was at the exact same time, because once that new barrier is formed after a single sperm fuses to the egg, no other sperm are able to get in. It's like a built in "safety mechanism". There's a cool video out there somewhere, showing the outer member of the egg changing with what they call the "zinc spark", it's really amazing!

What you have described is if everything goes according to plan. Aside from two different sperm fertilizing at the exact same time, I could imagine that other possibilities include anyone who produces an egg that may not follow these "instructions" for whatever reason, whether the result of a mutation and/or other abnormality. I agree with Dr. Minkin's statement: "Never say never..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
DNA from commercial companies is mostly for entertainment purposes. I think they might even state as much, because they know it's just a very small slice of the big picture. It's very concerning to me how many people take it as gospel and think it's some sort of replacement for old school research. Very, very, very dangerous.
Have to agree: I know too many people who have done the tests via commercial companies and results are so far off you one has to wonder. The same with doing DNA on dogs.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have to agree: I know too many people who have done the tests via commercial companies and results are so far off you one has to wonder. The same with doing DNA on dogs.
For Europeans its pretty accurate. I'm happy

Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Epigenetics may be the answer as to why identical twins get different DNA results.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i did a dna that was so off the chart, it was "what the hell?" so couple year later i did another with same company but different name, address, credit card, and it came back identical

Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
All this reflects what top genetic genealogists have been saying for years: take the ethnicity results with a huge grain of salt. People with little or no experience with this tend to fall into two extremes: they take it literally (if the test says I'm 23.8% Scandinavian it must be true), or they think the whole thing is a "sham" and can't be trusted at any level. Customers who understand the limitations of these tests and know how to treat their results with a healthy dose of skepticism (which is required in traditional genealogy) will get more out of them. The lack of skepticism in traditional genealogy leads to people copying mistakes wholesale from other trees ad infinitum, believing them to be accurate when they are not. "I saw it in Ancestry so it must be true."

You are so right.

In my view DNA testing has been a guide and invaluable tool for genealogy helping to locate those brick wall ancestors, another clue to the whereabouts of those relations that have been difficult to get a line on.

For the most part American records are digitized through "USGen".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy