Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If a person never submits a DNA sample, they will not show up.

not necessary , one can get a close hit and not be in the system and then follow the family name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
not necessary , one can get a close hit and not be in the system and then follow the family name
Not with a married woman who has changed her name. Major problem tracing family trees with female ancestors.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Well, not exactly. Law enforcement is submitting the DNA samples without the consent of the people they collect it from.
They don’t need consent - they have the legal authority to do whatever they want with criminal DNA left at a scene. Victim DNA may require the family’s consent, but they probably obtained it if they needed it. So this is a moot point.

Quote:
I just wonder what happens if the FBI finds that they have a sample that is a close match to yours or to someone whose kit you manage. Can they require you to cooperate by providing family information?
I suppose it depend on the circumstances. A judge can issue a court order for someone to cooperate if the circumstances legally allow it, but they can do that whether DNA is involved or not.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Coffee cups? I doubt these ancestry DNA testing sites have the capability to do that.
They don’t, but I’m pretty sure aries was only joking.

Quote:
Not with a married woman who has changed her name. Major problem tracing family trees with female ancestors.
Law enforcement won’t be doing traditional genealogy research and working backwards in time with women of unknown maiden names. They’ll look for common ancestors among groups of matches and then work forward in time for more recent generations. Unknown maiden names likely won’t be an issue since they won’t be going that far back to when records are so scarce for women.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 AM

23,860 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Law enforcement are doing the same thing DNA Doe Project is doing. They're getting samples how ever they can whether bone or rape kits then having a lab convert to a raw file which can be uploaded like we do with GEDmatch and FTDNA. It's possible LE want FTDNA for their mtDNA and Y-DNA databases. They're not telling us that, just that they're allowing the upload.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
Another concern I have is how long before law enforcement start using these databases routinely for every DNA sample they have, no matter what the crime. What's to stop them? I think people are fine with them finding the worst criminals (cold cases like the Golden State Killer--DNA from a coffee cup was used to get a match) but what if they start running thousands of rape kits and who knows what other kinds of samples when there is no match in CODIS? That would change the experience of genetic genealogy for me.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:46 AM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Law enforcement are doing the same thing DNA Doe Project is doing. They're getting samples how ever they can whether bone or rape kits then having a lab convert to a raw file which can be uploaded like we do with GEDmatch and FTDNA. It's possible LE want FTDNA for their mtDNA and Y-DNA databases. They're not telling us that, just that they're allowing the upload.

It just so happens that FTDNAs parent company Gene by Gene is the lab converting the FBI samples. Unlike Gedmatch, FTDNA intentionally violated its terms and conditions without giving prior notice to its customers when it allowed the FBI to access its database. I wonder how much the FBI is paying for the conversion of the samples and the subsequent use of the database.

After doing a bit more researach, I've decided to request that FTDNA destroy my family's samples and delete the accounts. I'd also like to be reimbursed the costs of the kits but I'm confident that I'll have to wait for a class action lawsuit to be initiated before that happens.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Another concern I have is how long before law enforcement start using these databases routinely for every DNA sample they have, no matter what the crime. What's to stop them? I think people are fine with them finding the worst criminals (cold cases like the Golden State Killer--DNA from a coffee cup was used to get a match) but what if they start running thousands of rape kits and who knows what other kinds of samples when there is no match in CODIS? That would change the experience of genetic genealogy for me.
I love my country America and I consider myself a Patriot but I have "no skin in the game". I considered it decades ago but have never submitted for testing for this very reason. Government agencies, regardless of branch (or country for that matter) are all powerful and mighty and I doubt it will become less so in the future.

"Slippery slope" as far as I'm concerned but jmho and to everyone else I can only say "each to his own."

Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
So, you don’t consider rapists to be among the ‘worst criminals’?

Guess serial killers are your line in the sand.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

146 posts, read 114,234 times
The same people that Twitter "outrage" about their privacy have no problem telling their life story on Facebook or submitting their DNA to some company.

These DNA data mining outfits are probably CIA businesses or affiliated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy