Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 05:28 PM

12,951 posts, read 9,467,634 times

Advertisements

Or are they all about the same? Are they considered accurate when they generate a breakdown of your origins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
All DNA ethnicity reports are estimates that will vary from company to company - which one is more consistent with your known ancestry often depends on the individual. They are mostly accurate on a continental level, but sub-continental regions typically share too much DNA among neighboring regions to take the results very seriously. The more narrowed down the regions are into specific areas, the more speculative the results are.

The true value of the test is with the DNA matches, but if you’re not into genealogy, there’s not much point to them.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Or are they all about the same? Are they considered accurate when they generate a breakdown of your origins?
I suggest testing with ancestry because they have the largest database, especially after this last holiday season. Tests should be on sale for Valentines day, if not mothers and fathers day. Ancestry gives unlimited amounts of relatives family trees. I've been there 4 years, have not used my free 2 week trial as I've been hand entering hints. They also started giving older relative suggestions.

Then I suggest uploading to my heritage for free family matching, for a small fee; and I do not know what the fee is; they will give ethnicity and other cool tools. See what I paste in below. There's no reason to pay $59 for a test there. My Heritage has trees but they only allow 200 for free trees. I have found out that I can keep entering people over 200, it just gives me a message that I'm over.

Same with FTDNA, free family matching and a $19 charge for ethnicity, chromosome browser, my origins and ancient origins. You can also upload to the public database GEDmatch Genesis. For directions see my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions which leave testing at 23 and me when it goes on sale.

From the My Heritage will start charging to upload autosomal DNA Dec 17th (extended) - FREE until then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya · December 16, 2018

Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,195 times
In my opinion it depends on what your main interest is. I've done both 23andme and Ancestry. As others have said Ancestry is definitely better if you are interested in genealogy. I think 23 and me has more interesting stuff on ethnicity breakdowns but also has more interesting scientific information if that is your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy