U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:06 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,019,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My brother did the 23 and Me test, and since we're full siblings, I guess his results are mine too!
Not necessarily, ethnicity-wise, full siblings could vary quite a bit. Remember you get half of your DNA from your Dad and half from your Mom, but siblings don't necessarily inherit the same half each time they were conceived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM

8,556 posts, read 13,257,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not necessarily, ethnicity-wise, full siblings could vary quite a bit. Remember you get half of your DNA from your Dad and half from your Mom, but siblings don't necessarily inherit the same half each time they were conceived!
That is true, but her brother is primarily Ashkenazi with only trace amounts in other regions (which may just be noise). It sounds like both parents are Ashkenazi and especially given the endogamy with Ashkenazi, it means her results would likely be extremely similar, and essentially the same as her brother's. It might vary by a few percentages, but not much. She would likely get 90+% Ashkenazi (unless they are not actually full siblings as expected, of course). That's just the ethnicity though - obviously, as they are not identical twins, they only share about 50% of their DNA, meaning if she tested, she would have some DNA matches her brother doesn't.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 PM

4,724 posts, read 7,847,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My family comes from 1700ís in Bedford County,Pa. Iíve discovered a small number of distant cousins marrying, recently. Given the smallness of the communities it was bound to happen that two people marrying today share a common set of 5th grandparents.
Bedford, huh? Your family is from my neck of the woods. Yeah, out here marrying another local means a pretty high chance of being related somehow. My parents are 5th cousins.

Any DeVores in your family tree? I have one from Bedford Co. in mine.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM

29,031 posts, read 44,407,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That is true, but her brother is primarily Ashkenazi with only trace amounts in other regions (which may just be noise). It sounds like both parents are Ashkenazi and especially given the endogamy with Ashkenazi, it means her results would likely be extremely similar, and essentially the same as her brother's. It might vary by a few percentages, but not much. She would likely get 90+% Ashkenazi (unless they are not actually full siblings as expected, of course). That's just the ethnicity though - obviously, as they are not identical twins, they only share about 50% of their DNA, meaning if she tested, she would have some DNA matches her brother doesn't.
Uh, yeah. This.

I'm admittedly kind of ignorant on the topic (science in general is my weakness), but that all sounds about right! Both of our parents are definitely Ashkenazi, with my father's side being mostly Russian-Jewish and my mother's side more Polish & Ukrainian-Jewish. So I doubt there would be much of a difference between our heritage, and us not being full siblings is highly highly unlikely. We both look practically identical to our father, and I don't think my mother faked being pregnant with us. LOL

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 PM

11,703 posts, read 19,951,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Bedford, huh? Your family is from my neck of the woods. Yeah, out here marrying another local means a pretty high chance of being related somehow. My parents are 5th cousins.

Any DeVores in your family tree? I have one from Bedford Co. in mine.
Yep! Our Mason family married into the DeVores.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 PM

5,880 posts, read 3,307,090 times
A DNA story: The DNA test results seem to shed some light on (but don't solidly confirm) the origins of my mysterious great-grandfather. He was running from something scary when he jumped ship in New York and headed into the hinterland. He changed his name and made up a story. His naturalization record shows he claimed he came from Bavaria. On rare occasions he let things slip out. The most remembered version was that he came from Ukraine and was hiding from someone who had the ability and motivation to find him. That was possibly a rich father (merchant or shipowner) or the Czar, or some such. The DNA report for Ancestry.com shows 5% Eastern Europe while 23andme shows 12.2% and points to southeast Poland along the border with Ukraine near Lviv. Borders have changed in 150 years and Poland once extended to the east. I have maybe 2% Ashkenazi ancestry. I have a fair number of Ukrainian DNA cousins with no idea how we are related unless they are connected to this mysterious ancestor. Population shifts under the Soviet Union and WW2 make this all speculative and probably unprovable.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 AM

5,016 posts, read 2,542,583 times
I haven't taken a DNA test, although I'd like to. But like others, I'm concerned about privacy. I know a lot of those places that test DNA sell the info.

Also, three sets of great-grandparents and one grandfather were immigrants to the US. My mom's family came from Germany and if I could get at the info there, I might be able to trace them back further. One grandmother has a booklet that she said traced our Finnish heritage back to 1600 and something. My great-grandmother was English and she's the hardest to find anything out about. My great-grandfather came over from Ireland and I might also be able to trace him back further if I could research some of those records.

But basically, unless something really weird happened in the past, I know I'm of Northern European heritage, and I can't see paying someone to tell me what I already know.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,456,466 times
I did 23 and me. The best part was finding some relatives that I didnt know existed. I talked to a second cousin twice removed who had vivid memories of my great grandfather.

My paternal grandmother's youngest brother ran away from home when he was a teenager and never contacted the family again. They lost contact with him forever. One of my 23andme relatives turned out to be his daughter! She was able to fill us in on his entire life...the mystery was finally solved. She was just as interested in learning about this side of her family that she had no knowledge about.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,019,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That is true, but her brother is primarily Ashkenazi with only trace amounts in other regions (which may just be noise).
True, I should of added to my post if both of your parents are almost 100% Ashkenazi, Chinese, Japanese, etc. then you and your siblings would probably have similar ethnicity percentages. I guess I was mainly thinking about people with various European ancestry marrying other people with different European ancestry and their children get a whole smorgasbord of ethnicity percentages and totally overlooked her Ashkenazi part.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 AM

49 posts, read 35,134 times
I would not ever send my dna to anyone, are you people stark raving mad? You are giving up your essence, "they" are just building huge databases of DNA in order to do who knows what with.

I traced my family history the old fashioned way, if it was good enough for Grandpa it is good enough for me. You people are crazy sending your DNA off to be categorized in some huge database.

Just my opinion yours may differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or