Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
The Scots-Irish are a seafaring people who lived their lives around the waters of both Scotland and Ireland, hence the bi-country title for those people. .

no

its because in 1650 the english had a revoultion with scotland and bannish them from scotland to ireland. so they was loyal scotland citizen living in ireland, scot irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
My dad's MDNA test just came back.

H6a1a3

Closest matches in the USA and England, as expected by the paper trail and our guess work. My dad's family brick walls on their female line ancestor only 5 generations back from me.......really the only branch of our family tree that had deep American roots before they ended up in Western Maryland. VA to KY to MO to MD we think, but hopefully this test will provide some more guidance. All we know is that local tradition says her name was "Tipsey."

Old 02-21-2019, 08:55 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...e-5-notes.html

Please consider what they are doing with your information before you pay them.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

A word of caution. Some friends have found out that their fathers or grandfathers are not their biological parents. Or friends have been contacted by their adopted cousins in hopes of finding the biological parents. This may be good or bad depending on whether the biological parent wants to be found.
It not always due to cheating. Sometimes the hospital gets the babies wrong and so give the parents the wrong babies to take home.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Two family members have traced my mother's father directly back to Massachusetts Bay in the 1600s and my father's mother directly back to a Scottish clan chief in the 1300s. My mother's mother's mother immigrated from Germany and my father's father immigrated from Canada. But I haven't looked into this further.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:44 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It not always due to cheating. Sometimes the hospital gets the babies wrong and so give the parents the wrong babies to take home.
That's very rare, and the person you quoted didn't actually say anything about cheating. There's lots of reasons a father or parents might turn out to not be the bio father/parents. The mother might have been raped, or the mother may have gotten pregnant before meeting/marrying her presumed father and just never told the child. Although these days, people are pretty open about adoptions, not everyone is told that they were adopted. I wouldn't necessarily jump to either cheating or swapped at birth/hospital mix up.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I learned I did not come over on the May flower
If you had come over on The Mayflower as a young man, you’d be around 420 years old now.
Shoot, you’d have been maybe 260-261 when Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no

its because in 1650 the english had a revoultion with scotland and bannish them from scotland to ireland. so they was loyal scotland citizen living in ireland, scot irish.
Again, it was due primarily to the government sanctioned colonization, and other unplanned migrations, not any of the civil wars or rebellions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Scots_people

"These Scots migrated to Ireland in large numbers both as a result of the government-sanctioned Plantation of Ulster, a planned process of colonisation which took place under the auspices of James VI of Scotland and I of England on land confiscated from members of the Gaelic nobility of Ireland who fled Ulster, and as part of a larger migration or unplanned wave of settlement."

Notes about the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 do refer to some prisoners being sent to Ireland, but it was to South and West Ireland, not Northern Ireland/Ulsters where Scots-Irish are traditional from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunbar_(1650)

Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I originally tested on Ancestry and then uploaded my DNA to MyHeritage. My Heritage gave me similar results as Ancestry did prior to the update. Both revealed a similar "surprise." Even after the Ancestry update, the "surprise" was still there although in a much smaller percentage. As for family matches, the matches for first cousins, first cousin once removed/second cousin was spot on for both companies. Some of the second cousin/second cousin once removed matches are also bona fide cousins. Others, I doubt it since I know who are my second cousins and their offspring are. The third/fourth cousin matches, I can't find any common relatives, even when the third/fourth cousins have common matches to me. Some of these matches are in locations that mean that they are absolutely not related to me since I know where my generation and the subsequent 2 generations are living.

As far as selling my genetic information for medical research and losing privacy, I already forfeited privacy when I agreed to participate in several medical studies through my own doctors' research in the hope of finding out what the heck is wrong with me along with some other participating family members. If my DNA can be used to figure it out for myself and others with similar conditions, I say let them use it.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:16 AM

4 posts, read 1,788 times
DNA and ancestry is not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy