Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 PM

705 posts, read 558,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have not.

My father did and found our paternal Scots-Irish heritage roots, back to a point when records seem to run out. The king of England exiled my family's clan from Scotland to northern Ireland in the 1600s. Apparently his whims moved people around the UK.
His maternal side came directly from Norway on her paternal side, immigrated and had her here in the USA.
So i know that part of my pedigree.

My mothers side is a bit of a mystery, but it has been assumed her side of the family was English, Irish and German. I started search ancestry.com and went back to early to middle 1700s (still in the USA), but it was obscure before that, as to exactly where their ancesters migrated from.

I was thinking about ancestry.com or 23 and me for more info.

So i was wondering how many of you have done so, and what did you learn?

I paid for the DNA test on ancestory.com and I think it's crap. LOL
I was given a list of 1st and 2nd cousins...on and on..... but we all agreed that we couldn't be related.
NOT one name of any of our trees matched up, we didn't have a single name in common. Many of them told me they found that was the case with others on their list too. I have read a couple of stories online that it worked for some but all those I talked to think it's a load of crap.

I've done my family tree on my mother and father's side back to the 1700's. Most came from Germany, Scotland, England, Holland. And yes, I know my parents were my real parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,228 times
Yes, both myself and my husband did the ancestry.com test. No real surprises, some genetic traces other than what we knew ourselves to be.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 PM

68 posts, read 85,353 times
We did 23 & me. Not a lot of surprise, I knew I was Irish, German, Sicilian with a touch of English.

It reported ~34% from a very specific region of Ireland, ~32% from Iberian Peninsula, and the rest vaguely from Northern Europe / Nordic region.

So I figure that the Irish didn’t travel very far to find spouses, and there was a lot of mingling in north-central Europe due to wars and changing borders. I was surprised that they couldn’t narrow down the southern Italy/Sicily area.

With my wife, they didn’t even try to distinguish between her Polish, Russian, Jewish heritage - she was all Eastern European to them.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 PM

26,634 posts, read 28,423,267 times
Yes, I tested with 23andMe. It was northern and western European (mostly England, Ireland, France, Germany, Holland.) No Native American Indian, as we had been told in the family. But you can put your results through GedMatch to get further information so I might possibly have a tiny bit of DNA from north Africa and a tiny bit Native American--but that's definitely not for certain.

Visit the Genealogy Forum for more info on GedMatch and similar sites if you are interested. It's for the fun of it if you want to try to find out more.

BTW, my sister tested on Ancestry.com and she got nearly the same results I got on 23andMe. When we entered our information into GedMatch, we are sisters!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,482,437 times
I did 23andMe recently. I found it interesting and worth the money. After a few weeks I got a discount for the medical reports and held my breath a bit to read them. Medical reports stated the key genes for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s were not present. There were a bunch of other conditions or diseases listed in the reports, all of which didn’t show up in my genes.

In the dna family report you can see where your ancestors are located for the past 200 years. I learned some interesting information about my monther’s ancestry geography. My father’s was spot on, matching what we already knew. Lots of third and fourth cousins listed all over the place. My aunt was listed accurately in relation to me.

If more people take the kit tests the information will likely become more accurate and available.

PS. Wait for the discounts.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,073,546 times
Quote:
I have not.

My father did and found our paternal Scots-Irish heritage roots, back to a point when records seem to run out. The king of England exiled my family's clan from Scotland to northern Ireland in the 1600s. Apparently his whims moved people around the UK.
His maternal side came directly from Norway on her paternal side, immigrated and had her here in the USA.

My mothers side is a bit of a mystery, but it has been assumed her side of the family was English, Irish and German. I started search ancestry.com and went back to early to middle 1700s (still in the USA), but it was obscure before that, as to exactly where their ancesters migrated from.

There was a very good comment on a thread in the adoption section....I'll try to find it and link it to you. It gives good critic of various geneology sites as well as DNA programs....http://www.city-data.com/forum/peopl...oking-bio.html

Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Quote:
I have not.

yes! And I love it. Have found new family!

Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,187,627 times
Not even slightly interested in doing DNA testing with any of those companies.

As far as health information, read this before you read your medical report from 23and me: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...test-brca.html

If your test results show you are at risk for some serious disease, follow-up with a genetics counselor and get the full test, if necessary.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,483,973 times
Yes, and I'm not Italian and I'm not German. I'm 54% Irish and the rest is mostly Scandinavian.

I also have two previously unknown relatives. A niece and a nephew by my oldest brother.

Surprise!!

My ancestry and my wife's are so close (see above) that we swear we are related somewhere back in time. We're like 87th cousins 12th removed or however that all works.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I had DNA testing through ancestry.com and 23 and me. The results were similar and mostly confirmed what I knew - Northern European. Some of the percentages were not exactly as expected - was only 10-15% Scandinavian despite a Scandinavian GGF. And the countries are grouped so the results lump Germany and French into western Europe or England, Wales, and Scotland into one group. Not a lot of differentiation. I was disapppointed not to be Native American but may have a distant German Jewish GG grandparent and was more Neanderthal than most.

23 and me had a lot of health data that was not that informative. What I liked about ancestry.com is that they list any relatives that are in their database - usually 3rd or 4th cousins. But if those "cousins" have developed a family tree, you can access it if you have an ancestry.com subscription and if the tree is not private. Assume you could send the cousin a message and ask them to let you see the private tree if you are related. So I have been going through those family trees to find information on my ancestors. Most of the trees are not very good and can have lots of mistakes so you need to do your own verification. But I have found some interesting stuff.

A word of caution. Some friends have found out that their fathers or grandfathers are not their biological parents. Or friends have been contacted by their adopted cousins in hopes of finding the biological parents. This may be good or bad depending on whether the biological parent wants to be found.

I am one of those who found out my dad was likely NOT my dad. So far a cousin, brother, nephew and myself have been tested but my nephew is the only one who is a match. His mom and I share a mom but, evidently, not a dad. My brother is my half brother but we should have had a match through my dad. Nope. So, I wonder, who's my daddy?? I have one match that I kind of expect IS from my bio dad's family but she was adopted out as a baby so doesn't know her history either. At this late date I don't see any reason to persue it. After 76 years my dad is still my dad. Even so I have to admit to some curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy