U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 PM

8,481 posts, read 13,186,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
hope you are having fun in your DNA discoveries.

personally, these ~$60 tests are worth what they cost.
i would trust the results the same as a $60 surgeon.

we did it the 3-ball way: submit samples to 3 different companies.
all 3 were only slightly similar...our mother is our mother.
everything else was a smorgasbord.
of course, there is a small, but non-zero
possibility that all 3 could be exactly right.
This is more about DNA matches than ethnicity. The DNA matches, especially close relatives, is extremely reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,240,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This is more about DNA matches than ethnicity. The DNA matches, especially close relatives, is extremely reliable.
I agree. The science is still evolving and will continue to change on ethnicity for years to come.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 AM

22,161 posts, read 27,060,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have some Hispanic DNA "cousins" that were a mystery until I remembered I had some relatives who were Baptist missionaries in South America spreading the Gospel.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM

5,865 posts, read 8,313,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Same advice I always give, upload to the free databases, My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis to see what you find there. You may get a match there that's closer. If that's the case then it's worth it to pay for ethnicity and the tools. No clue what the charge is yet. I'd pay up to $30; a test is $59 on sale.

Family tree and DNA general instructions
Going to add on to how important this is. About a year ago I got an e-mail from someone 3-4 pages deep in my AncestryDNA matches. She, like me, had uploaded on all the free sites and I was kind of confused about why she was so interested in figuring out the 3-5 generation back relationship. Fast forward to this year and I had my parents' DNA done at Ancestry. She didn't come up as a match on Ancestry, but did on FTDNA and she's got a wealth of research on my mother's Irish/English side and I think I'm going to have a whole new branch connected in no time. It sounds like OP is on their way to finding out a lot of their history too.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,185,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
To be honest with you it wouldn't surprise me if my sister was fooling around when she got pregnant with my nephew. For one thing she was kinda 'wild' when she was young...and she was foolish too!...and her husband worked out of town all week. Our population back then was about as much Hispanic as not and a lot of those families are still around.
Maybe it wasn't your sister who was "fooling around." Do you know if her dad was also your dad? That could be where your nephew got the hispanic ancestries.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe it wasn't your sister who was "fooling around." Do you know if her dad was also your dad? That could be where your nephew got the hispanic ancestries.

No, we don't have the same dad. We do have the same mother and there's NO Hispanic background for either of them. I think my nephew's 20% Native American must come from HIS father's Hispanic background because my sister's husband sure didn't have that.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM

5,865 posts, read 8,313,392 times
Quote:
No, we don't have the same dad. We do have the same mother and there's NO Hispanic background for either of them. I think my nephew's 20% Native American must come from HIS father's Hispanic background because my sister's husband sure didn't have that.

Just because your DNA doesn't have Hispanic heritage, doesn't mean a shared ancestor didn't have a kid who married someone who is Hispanic and thus has many Hispanic descendants. In the scenario I've recently posted (connecting to a 3-5 cousin) I have found lots of people all over the southern United States and the mid south. From all my research with other family members there's no connection to this region (Mostly it's been the English colonists --> Midwest --> Present day or European Immigration in late 1800s --> Midwest --> Present day) . It has baffled me as to where these matches have come from. It turns out that this 3rd-5th cousin and I are probably related through an Irish immigrant who had lots of children and for that reason spread out throughout the southern US. Human nature and migration is weird.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just because your DNA doesn't have Hispanic heritage, doesn't mean a shared ancestor didn't have a kid who married someone who is Hispanic and thus has many Hispanic descendants. In the scenario I've recently posted (connecting to a 3-5 cousin) I have found lots of people all over the southern United States and the mid south. From all my research with other family members there's no connection to this region (Mostly it's been the English colonists --> Midwest --> Present day or European Immigration in late 1800s --> Midwest --> Present day) . It has baffled me as to where these matches have come from. It turns out that this 3rd-5th cousin and I are probably related through an Irish immigrant who had lots of children and for that reason spread out throughout the southern US. Human nature and migration is weird.

Well, my nieces are going to test. We will see if they also have this American Indian connection but I bet they don't. My nephew actually looks Hispanic and we've kidded him about it all his life. His sisters are both fair as was my sister and their dad.

I had a weird thought today. I was raised by, and grew up in, a family that I am not in the least related to. Also, I have no name! The family name we have always used wasn't 'ours'. My great grandmother was widowed young with five kids. Her husband was killed as he sat in the witness chair in court. Six years later she had a son by another man who died before the baby was born and she raised this son with her other children with their last name. And now I find out that neither of those names are mine so who the heck am I???

I am eagerly waiting to hear from my 'cuz' in Alaska. She seems pretty convinced I belong to a man on her mom's side of the family. She gave me a couple of names I can check out. I really wonder if I have half siblings out there. If I do I better find them soon 'cause none of us are exactly 'spring chickens' anymore. lol

Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

9,820 posts, read 20,708,962 times
Quote:
Well, my nieces are going to test. We will see if they also have this American Indian connection but I bet they don't. My nephew actually looks Hispanic and we've kidded him about it all his life. His sisters are both fair as was my sister and their dad.

I had a weird thought today. I was raised by, and grew up in, a family that I am not in the least related to. Also, I have no name! The family name we have always used wasn't 'ours'. My great grandmother was widowed young with five kids. Her husband was killed as he sat in the witness chair in court. Six years later she had a son by another man who died before the baby was born and she raised this son with her other children with their last name. And now I find out that neither of those names are mine so who the heck am I???

I am eagerly waiting to hear from my 'cuz' in Alaska. She seems pretty convinced I belong to a man on her mom's side of the family. She gave me a couple of names I can check out. I really wonder if I have half siblings out there. If I do I better find them soon 'cause none of us are exactly 'spring chickens' anymore. lol
Did you upload to the free sites? You especially want my heritage. Lots of people uploading there. Even better if you can get some of your known ancestry matches over there. I was able to get a cousin related by my mothers mothers sister; now I see who's there matches her. It was a huge win!

Quote:
Same advice I always give, upload to the free databases, My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis to see what you find there. You may get a match there that's closer. If that's the case then it's worth it to pay for ethnicity and the tools. No clue what the charge is yet. I'd pay up to $30; a test is $59 on sale.

Family tree and DNA general instructions

Last edited by Roselvr; Yesterday at 06:02 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Did you upload to the free sites? You especially want my heritage. Lots of people uploading there. Even better if you can get some of your known ancestry matches over there. I was able to get a cousin related by my mothers mothers sister; now I see who's there matches her. It was a huge win!

The last time you posted that I went through it and printed out the whole thing. I have to admit I'm really stupid when it comes to downloading things, etc. and what I read seems to turn into instant Greek in my brain. I have no idea how to do that. How to get the info from one website to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or