U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Reputation: 10723

Advertisements

Well.....this journey has been, by turns, exciting and frustrating! lol Got my nephew's DNA results back and, oh my! At least he's a match with me which I can't say for the rest of my family.


Going back a little I had my 1/2 brother do a DNA test because one of my cousins turned out to NOT be a match with me. Well, neither is my brother. So, I had nephew test and, sure enough, he's a match with my brother. So, I can only conclude that my dad was not my dad. Sigh. My sister has passed so the closest I could get is one of her kids. He shows up as a first cousin.


Some big surprises in HIS matches though. He has no less than a dozen Hispanic names in his matches and, far as I know, that shouldn't be! It also shows him as being 20% Native American which none of the rest of us show. His ancestry shows Mexico...Sinaloa, Sonora and SW Arizona. Was my sister 'fooling around' when she got pregnant with him???? I've about determined that sister and I had different dads.


His ethnicity matches mine some. I have 62% England, Wales, NW Europe and he has 53%. I have 42% Ireland/Scotland and he has 15%. He has 1% to 4% of 'other' ethnicities including France, Portugal, Spain, Germanic Europe, Basque, Cameroon, Congo and So. Bantu people. His also shows the route our paternal family took to end up in East KY and No. TN, which I have researched endlessly. His matches are what I expected to find in MINE. And didn't. Nobody else in my family matches the one person in my matches that I'm the most curious about.


And so, the search goes on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
5,865 posts, read 8,313,392 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post


Some big surprises in HIS matches though. He has no less than a dozen Hispanic names in his matches and, far as I know, that shouldn't be! It also shows him as being 20% Native American which none of the rest of us show. His ancestry shows Mexico...Sinaloa, Sonora and SW Arizona. Was my sister 'fooling around' when she got pregnant with him???? I've about determined that sister and I had different dads.




I have several Hispanic names in my matches and can trace it to one of my first generation aunt's of German heritage marrying a first generation Mexican guy in Chicago. My ethnicity comes back as very Scandinavian and Eastern European. Could it have gone back further? Do any of those come up as matches for you too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
5,737 posts, read 3,240,922 times
Reputation: 10698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I have several Hispanic names in my matches and can trace it to one of my first generation aunt's of German heritage marrying a first generation Mexican guy in Chicago. My ethnicity comes back as very Scandinavian and Eastern European. Could it have gone back further? Do any of those come up as matches for you too?
I have some Hispanic DNA "cousins" that were a mystery until I remembered I had some relatives who were Baptist missionaries in South America spreading the Gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,481 posts, read 13,186,551 times
Reputation: 10917
Having a dozen DNA matches with Hispanic names doesn’t necessarily mean anything - they could only be part Hispanic and your nephew could match them on their non-Hispanic branch. Only if they were completely Hispanic and closely related would it suggest something else (more distant Hispanic matches could share a European ancestor from back in Europe). However, having 20% Native American in his ethnicity report would be very unusual for someone with completely European ancestry. It sounds like there was a NPE in his tree too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM
 
Location: NJ
9,821 posts, read 20,708,962 times
Reputation: 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well.....this journey has been, by turns, exciting and frustrating! lol Got my nephew's DNA results back and, oh my! At least he's a match with me which I can't say for the rest of my family.


Going back a little I had my 1/2 brother do a DNA test because one of my cousins turned out to NOT be a match with me. Well, neither is my brother. So, I had nephew test and, sure enough, he's a match with my brother. So, I can only conclude that my dad was not my dad. Sigh. My sister has passed so the closest I could get is one of her kids. He shows up as a first cousin.


Some big surprises in HIS matches though. He has no less than a dozen Hispanic names in his matches and, far as I know, that shouldn't be! It also shows him as being 20% Native American which none of the rest of us show. His ancestry shows Mexico...Sinaloa, Sonora and SW Arizona. Was my sister 'fooling around' when she got pregnant with him???? I've about determined that sister and I had different dads.


His ethnicity matches mine some. I have 62% England, Wales, NW Europe and he has 53%. I have 42% Ireland/Scotland and he has 15%. He has 1% to 4% of 'other' ethnicities including France, Portugal, Spain, Germanic Europe, Basque, Cameroon, Congo and So. Bantu people. His also shows the route our paternal family took to end up in East KY and No. TN, which I have researched endlessly. His matches are what I expected to find in MINE. And didn't. Nobody else in my family matches the one person in my matches that I'm the most curious about.


And so, the search goes on!
Same advice I always give, upload to the free databases, My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis to see what you find there. You may get a match there that's closer. If that's the case then it's worth it to pay for ethnicity and the tools. No clue what the charge is yet. I'd pay up to $30; a test is $59 on sale.

Family tree and DNA general instructions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Reputation: 10723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I have several Hispanic names in my matches and can trace it to one of my first generation aunt's of German heritage marrying a first generation Mexican guy in Chicago. My ethnicity comes back as very Scandinavian and Eastern European. Could it have gone back further? Do any of those come up as matches for you too?

No, none of those names show up in my matches. The only ones that cross over are the ones I know for sure are my maternal line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Reputation: 10723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have some Hispanic DNA "cousins" that were a mystery until I remembered I had some relatives who were Baptist missionaries in South America spreading the Gospel.

I'm sure stuff like that happens. I am getting more and more intrigued by some of this stuff. Been doing genealogy for nearly 30 years and learning new stuff every day! And now, it would appear I have a whole other line to research...if I ever find out who they are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Reputation: 10723
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Having a dozen DNA matches with Hispanic names doesn’t necessarily mean anything - they could only be part Hispanic and your nephew could match them on their non-Hispanic branch. Only if they were completely Hispanic and closely related would it suggest something else (more distant Hispanic matches could share a European ancestor from back in Europe). However, having 20% Native American in his ethnicity report would be very unusual for someone with completely European ancestry. It sounds like there was a NPE in his tree too.

To be honest with you it wouldn't surprise me if my sister was fooling around when she got pregnant with my nephew. For one thing she was kinda 'wild' when she was young...and she was foolish too!...and her husband worked out of town all week. Our population back then was about as much Hispanic as not and a lot of those families are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,452 posts, read 9,382,148 times
Reputation: 10723
I talked to that one lady who is my #1 match. We talked for over an hour! She thinks she's got a lead on 'who' we are looking for and thinks I am related as a 1/2 aunt. I'm thinking, with the age gap, maybe 1/2 great aunt? We hit it off really well and since she's from here, and will be coming down to see family soon, we will be meeting up. We are both excited!


Both of our families lived in the same small community all those years ago and everyone knew everyone. She remembers a lot of the things I remember although some things had changed over the years. We went to the same elementary school. She did find her birth parents so finally got some info on them which will help both of us. We hope. She thinks we are related through her mother's family. I guess we'll find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 PM
 
1,874 posts, read 681,328 times
Reputation: 3556
hope you are having fun in your DNA discoveries.

personally, these ~$60 tests are worth what they cost.
i would trust the results the same as a $60 surgeon.

we did it the 3-ball way: submit samples to 3 different companies.
all 3 were only slightly similar...our mother is our mother.
everything else was a smorgasbord.
of course, there is a small, but non-zero
possibility that all 3 could be exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top