U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM

9,877 posts, read 20,733,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Thanks! For some reason, those links were not uploading on computer. The guy that was commenting on my above link had no disputes with over 70 replies so I figured it was PROBABLY true. Appreciate the information! Ancestry.com is a DNA test I just might have to take as well!
I hope you were able to get a test last night, it was $59. Some times they extend the sale but I see it's back to $99 today. Next sale could possibly be St Patrick's Day but if not, mothers day and fathers day, not sure if it will go as cheap as $59. That's a rare price. I've been watching test prices for 5 years. I never pay full price. Be sure to watch the thread Geneology & DNA Sites - Free Dates & Specials Thread - Post them Here where we post sales.

You'll love ancestry if you're going to get into genealogy. They support trees.

You should upload your 23 and me raw data to My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis to get more family matches. My Heritage and FTDNA offer more stuff for a small charge. For $19, FTDNA gives myOrigins (ethnicity), ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. They're the only site that gives X-matches.

For directions to upload to free sites, see my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions scroll down to where it says now to the DNA

My Heritage is a little different. They also do a charge for the tools but we're unsure how much that charge will be as they used to offer it free. I've been watching their blog where they post about stuff like that but still no blog post about how much. I'll paste in from my thread My Heritage will start charging to upload autosomal DNA Dec 17th (extended) - FREE until then so you can see what they give. My opinion, it's worth up to $30. They really give you a lot. The best suggestion I have is to use their app to work on your DNA. They sort by country the match lives in, give surnames, family trees when available, chromosome browser which is a way better version then FTDNA offers. I've paid the $19 for my DNA at FTDNA but not for any of my 6 tests that I run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya December 16, 2018

Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 AM

53 posts, read 8,547 times
@Roselvr...Thanks for all of that information! Good to know Ancestry does have occasional sales! Waiting on 23andme results now ($29 for test kit (with $10 off coupon) at CVS, plus $69 lab testing fee). May consider Ancestry.com next depending on what comes up.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:36 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,974,411 times
Quote:
@Roselvr...Thanks for all of that information! Good to know Ancestry does have occasional sales! Waiting on 23andme results now ($29 for test kit (with $10 off coupon) at CVS, plus $69 lab testing fee). May consider Ancestry.com next depending on what comes up.
If you can wait until Black Friday Week (November), I think the Ancestry kit went down to $49 last year.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
What are you looking to do with your DNA at 23 and me? Are you adopted or looking for DNA confirmation of parentage or grand parents?

Ancestry has the largest database, period that got larger with the Black Friday/ Christmas sale but they haven't said how many tests they've sold and gotten back. I go to DNA detectives FB group where they help a lot of adoptees find birth parents; I'd have to say that 9 times out of 10 the adoptee gets a decent match on Ancestry verses 23 and me. Some get no matches or they're pretty far out where they will then go to Ancestry and luck out with a closer hit. What's great about ancestry is they give family trees so whoever you match may have a public tree available.

I've been there a little over 4 years and have not used my free trial yet because I haven't needed to. If you go to the family tree directions thread you'll see I work on family search which is a public tree site that gives free records. They do not have as many as Ancestry but they have more then enough. I also will click hints at ancestry and hand enter the hint info to at least whoever my relative is. I have matches from both of my mothers parents siblings, say one of their matches; go with my grandmothers sisters side. I have her grand daughter as a DNA match. I'll enter the census info for her mother and grand mother but may not get as detailed for their husbands.

You can take note of who has a public tree then go to the library to look at it. I have not done this yet. I finally joined the local library to do it but just haven't needed to do it. Once I hit a b rick wall I will.

What I like about my heritage is they will show you the tree if the match has it. They give way more then Ancestry does; way more then any company does. I can't wait to get my cousin's (my mothers brothers son) DNA done at My Heritage so I can see who I match that way because I have a father and son match at ancestry that I think is related on my mothers side but the cousin I talked about before that went to my heritage doesn't match them. They don't match my fathers brother either.

So as I said, it really depends what you want your DNA to do for you. I personally love the matches. I'm prepared to pay up to $60 at my heritage to get the cool tools because otherwise I'd have to send him a test. Getting him the ancestry test (he's in Hungary) has been a lot of work. I sent it the begging of August, customs grabbed it, they finally sent it back a few weeks ago. I'm not going thru that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you can wait until Black Friday Week (November), I think the Ancestry kit went down to $49 last year.
You're correct according to the specials thread. Note that there is a $10 shipping charge that you may be able to find a free ship coupon for. Personally, I wouldn't wait for Black Friday to do Ancestry. If it goes on sale for $59 I'd jump on it. Waiting that long and hoping it will go that low again isn't worth the $10 savings to me. I've been watching prices for 4 years.

Below are the prices from Black Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Ancestry DNA Black Friday sale is $49 plus shipping.
Quote:
FTDNA is on sale for $39 today, Y-DNA for $99

To those interested in FTDNA, they allow free uploads from ancestry DNA so save your money if you've already done ancestry. See my thread that's pinned Family tree and DNA general instructions

My heritage is $49 but they also allow free uploads until December 1st See my thread for help My Heritage will start charging to upload autosomal DNA Dec 17th (extended) - FREE until then

Great price! That's the cheapest I've ever seen it! I hope people jump on it. Wish I had $60 to buy a few. There is a shipping charge of $10. People may be able to find a coupon on google for shipping or other discounts.

Ancestry free shipping coupon code - FREESHIPDNA from Groupon

If you order DNA; Topcashback and ebates give 7.5% cash back with each test. Join both sites then shop online like you normally would adding items to your cart. Once you're done open top cash back, type in the store/ website you're shopping at; it will give you the cash back link, next, hit your ebates cash back browser button, once activated go to your cart and check out. It's that easy.

Top cash back

Ebates - has a button you can add to your browser, thats the easiest way to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Ancestry is buy three get one free for now. Too bad I only need three and would have no idea who to give the fourth to.
Unfortunately, they didn't post what the price was during this buy 3 get 1 free but reading more of the sale thread, someone else did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Plus, with the B3G1F, you get Free Shipping, so the 4 comes out to $45 each. Great deal for someone who needs 4!

I predict by next year they'll be down at least another $10 each for a daily normal price, better in big holidays.

Quote:
Email exclusive: Get 50% off all 23andMe DNA kits Posting the link from the email they sent me. I joined yesterday; they sent this today. If you're not able to use the link; make an account, hopefully they'll send you the email too

Otherwise their site shows 30% off.

I think I'm gonna finally order one for myself. It's finally low enough that I'd be crazy not to do it so I can have the experience.

Happy holidays
Enjoy the lowest price of the year.
50% off per kit + free gift wrap
Shop now
Offer ends Dec. 25. Order by Dec 17th* to receive in time for Christmas.
These are the last 2 helpful replies that I'm seeing to get free shipping. As I said, always check the sale thread. We also post free days such as my heritage is giving marriage records until tomorrow so I've been busy there. If you decide to go to My Heritage, beware of how large your tree is as they only allow 200 people. I do have over 200, I get a message saying they only allow 200; they have not removed any of my relatives.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one caught this. I was on My Heritage's blog yesterday looking to see if the price was finally posted of what they'll charge for DNA uploads extra tools. Of course it's still not posted but found this...

Free Marriage Records for Valentine’s Day!

Quote:
In honor of Valentine’s Day, we’re providing free access to love-related records in our massive historical records collection during February 10-17, 2019. No Data subscription is required so you may search all U.S. states, European and worldwide collections, totaling 414,486,197 records, for your ancestors’ marriage records!

Geneology & DNA Sites - Free Dates & Specials Thread - Post them Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You can get the free shipping if you buy through amazon.
Quote:
Ancestry free shipping code from Groupon is still valid code is FREESHIPDNA

If you're going to order tests, consider doing both top cash back and ebates. They both can be used at once on a computer.

Want to bring this quote forward as everyone still has sales. I updated prices in the quote. Y-DNA at FTDNA is still $99!

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-16-2019 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM

@Roselvr...not adopted, not looking for DNA confirmation of parentage/health risks..Just want to pinpoint where I'm from. Probably won't be any suprises...we shall see soon! Thanks for your information.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM

8,489 posts, read 13,203,287 times
Quote:
@Roselvr...not adopted, not looking for DNA confirmation of parentage/health risks..Just want to pinpoint where I'm from. Probably won't be any suprises...we shall see soon! Thanks for your information.
Pinpointing where your ancestry came from isn't reliable with DNA/ethnicity. The more specific the areas in your results are, the more speculative it is. You will need to research your family tree the traditional way to find the specific areas your ancestors came from.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,282,048 times
Default Trust me

Quote:
Apparently, Ancestry.com grants FULL PERPETUAL IRREVOCABLE ownership of your DNA. They can sell your DNA and family members DNA to insurance companies, big pharma, and others which could impair the ability to get life insurance/health insurance as they know that you are predisposed to certain diseases or have a genetic pre-existing condition.

23andme does NOT own or sell your DNA. You can "opt out" anytime and remove your results from their database.

New to this...seems like a big difference above though. Just want them to take the basic heritage test, and then discard my sample immediately which is why I "opted out". To have control over my DNA and privacy. Anxious to see the results of the test!

TRUST ME. And your legal remedy if 23andme gives or sells the results of your DNA sample to "anyone" is ... ??? And then I guess you sue the FBI, CIA, NSA, Interpol and any other database (good luck finding out where the information went) to unknow your personal info.

Once your personal information is in the wind, its gone, baby gone.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 PM

@PA2UK...true...a total newbie so just looking at ethnicity percentages fine for now. Am realizing that researching the "family tree" the traditional way of course most accurate...and a big endeavor.

@Mistermobile...true about pursuing a "legal remedy" if your information gets out there even if you "opted out". The costs would be "out of this world" to even try to go after the agencies you mentioned!!

Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
You're very welcome. I go to family search to search records with various rare last names of my relatives which shows me where in Hungary they were. Make an account at family search in order to use the link I left.

Quote:
@PA2UK...true...a total newbie so just looking at ethnicity percentages fine for now. Am realizing that researching the "family tree" the traditional way of course most accurate...and a big endeavor.

@Mistermobile...true about pursuing a "legal remedy" if your information gets out there even if you "opted out". The costs would be "out of this world" to even try to go after the agencies you mentioned!!
Go to ancestry to do your tree. They have the best site. As I also said you can also join family search to make a public tree there which will help you in the long run. Make sure you select watch for each profile you make or run into. The system will email you weekly with any changes. As I was telling you, working with the family search app makes it a lot easier to do thing like attach records. When you open the family search app you would go to ancestors with tasks where it will show you who has free records to attach.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-17-2019 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM

@Roselvr...may look into family tree. Supposedly the author James Michener is a distant cousin. Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy