Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,656,648 times

Advertisements

Just did 23&me...read the fine print and "opted out" to have control of my DNA and privacy. Wonder why ancestry doesn't have this "opt out" feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Opting out of what? DNA matching with other testers? They do. Medical research? They do.

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...of-DNA-Matches

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...search-Project

I'm not sure what else you may be referring to as those are the only opt outs I know of at either company.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM

Apparently, Ancestry.com grants FULL PERPETUAL IRREVOCABLE ownership of your DNA. They can sell your DNA and family members DNA to insurance companies, big pharma, and others which could impair the ability to get life insurance/health insurance as they know that you are predisposed to certain diseases or have a genetic pre-existing condition.

23andme does NOT own or sell your DNA. You can "opt out" anytime and remove your results from their database.

New to this...seems like a big difference above though. Just want them to take the basic heritage test, and then discard my sample immediately which is why I "opted out". To have control over my DNA and privacy. Anxious to see the results of the test!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
I believe 23&Me has several opt outs...

1. Saving or discarding your DNA sample (note that reports are run from a data file)
2. DNA Relative Matching
3. Researchers -- this applies if you fill out their various questionnaires.
4. Sharing your data file (without your name or any identifying information) with the drug company they signed an agreement with last year.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I believe 23&Me has several opt outs...

1. Saving or discarding your DNA sample (note that reports are run from a data file)
2. DNA Relative Matching
3. Researchers -- this applies if you fill out their various questionnaires.
4. Sharing your data file (without your name or any identifying information) with the drug company they signed an agreement with last year.

Yes they do...all of the above was included in 2 "opt outs" from what I recall.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Apparently, Ancestry.com grants FULL PERPETUAL IRREVOCABLE ownership of your DNA. They can sell your DNA and family members DNA to insurance companies, big pharma, and others which could impair the ability to get life insurance/health insurance as they know that you are predisposed to certain diseases or have a genetic pre-existing condition.

23andme does NOT own or sell your DNA. You can "opt out" anytime and remove your results from their database.

New to this...seems like a big difference above though. Just want them to take the basic heritage test, and then discard my sample immediately which is why I "opted out". To have control over my DNA and privacy. Anxious to see the results of the test!
Where are you getting this information?

AncestryDNA does allow you to opt out of sharing and opt out of research, etc.

Federal law prevents genetic DNA testing to be used in health insurance qualifiers; however, it can be used for life/long term care insurance. There was a federal law passed over 10 years ago that prevents them from being used for health insurance.

Seems you read some blog. I have tested 5 people including myself at ancestry and you can opt out of various things with them same as 23andme. If anything, I'd think that 23andMe would be more likely to use your health related information to sell to drug companies if you opt "in" to do so. They provide you this choice.

I'll note as a skeptical consumer, I doubt that any of these companies abide by everything we opt into or out of and I expect at some point in the future to be a part of a class action lawsuit based on these screens.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Where are you getting this information?

AncestryDNA does allow you to opt out of sharing and opt out of research, etc.

Federal law prevents genetic DNA testing to be used in health insurance qualifiers; however, it can be used for life/long term care insurance. There was a federal law passed over 10 years ago that prevents them from being used for health insurance.

Seems you read some blog. I have tested 5 people including myself at ancestry and you can opt out of various things with them same as 23andme. If anything, I'd think that 23andMe would be more likely to use your health related information to sell to drug companies if you opt "in" to do so. They provide you this choice.

I'll note as a skeptical consumer, I doubt that any of these companies abide by everything we opt into or out of and I expect at some point in the future to be a part of a class action lawsuit based on these screens.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iqUEBGLIhc8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqUEBGLIhc8

No blog...Found here on comments in Youtube on differences between 23&me and Ancestry...haven't taken Ancestry, but was discouraged after reading about the "no opt out" choices on Ancestry as I may take that test in the future.

Agree that 23andme would be likely to use your health related information like Ancestry...if you do not "opt out".

The fact that genetic DNA testing can be used for life/long term care insurance is concerning.

Would like to see the "opt out" choices on Ancestry.com...maybe somebody could copy and paste it here?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Would like to see the "opt out" choices on Ancestry.com...maybe somebody could copy and paste it here?
Much better idea than depending on some unknown person on You Tube.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Apparently, Ancestry.com grants FULL PERPETUAL IRREVOCABLE ownership of your DNA.
They certainly do not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/an...dna-steal-own/

"Allowing Ancestry.com to license your DNA data does not mean they own it, in the full, permanent, exclusive sense in which that word is typically understood."

Quote:
I literally already did that in my first response.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They certainly do not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/an...dna-steal-own/

"Allowing Ancestry.com to license your DNA data does not mean they own it, in the full, permanent, exclusive sense in which that word is typically understood."

I literally already did that in my first response.

Thanks! For some reason, those links were not uploading on computer. The guy that was commenting on my above link had no disputes with over 70 replies so I figured it was PROBABLY true. Appreciate the information! Ancestry.com is a DNA test I just might have to take as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy