U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:37 AM

9,792 posts, read 20,691,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Good points from you and everyone else. My great aunt hasn't logged on to ancestry in over a year so I'm guessing she won't log in and find out on her own that I am on there. If she does she could opt to make her test private. What I could see happening is one of her children or grandchildren taking a test, seeing a relatively close relationship with me, and that great aunt is also a shared relative. This could obviously lead to them questioning her. I keep thinking she must realize it is bound to happen eventually. My grandpa has three children, 6 grandchildren, and 7 great grandchildren. With the growing popularity of these tests several of us are bound to take them.

I really wonder why great aunt is so protective of this secret. The handful of times I've met her she seemed to be pretty laid back and not uptight at all. Maybe she made a promise to her late mother that she wouldn't reveal the truth. I do know that her mother didn't even tell her the secret willingly. Great aunt was in her 50's and at a courthouse to get some of her birth records and it listed her as being her mother's second birth. Apparently she left the courthouse and drove straight to her mother's house with a lot of questions!

My grandparents are in their early 80's and are still in good health. There is a lot of longevity in both of their families so I'm hoping they are around for many years to come!
You're right, at some point they will do a test and see you. Then you'll figure it out what you need to do. Don't worry about it until that day comes. Enjoy your grand parents. I" never had any as my parents were immigrants. My Hungarian cousin tells me about our grand mother and what I missed. He was the favorite lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 576,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're right, at some point they will do a test and see you. Then you'll figure it out what you need to do. Don't worry about it until that day comes. Enjoy your grand parents. I" never had any as my parents were immigrants. My Hungarian cousin tells me about our grand mother and what I missed. He was the favorite lol
Believe me, I appreciate how lucky I am to have that privilege. My parents were young when I was born so I've enjoyed more time with my grandparents than most folks get to. I'm 36 and still have 3 grandparents around and have a great relationship with all of them.

Old Today, 02:51 PM

9,792 posts, read 20,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Believe me, I appreciate how lucky I am to have that privilege. My parents were young when I was born so I've enjoyed more time with my grandparents than most folks get to. I'm 36 and still have 3 grandparents around and have a great relationship with all of them.
My 33 year old son has 2 grandmothers in their 80's; he knows he's very lucky so spends time with his dads mother as much as he can. The other one has nothing to do with us, her loss. You'd think being an immigrant and leaving your family, not to mention giving up her son would make her cherish a kid and grand kids but it doesn't. That's like your great aunt keeping the secret. You'd think she'd be happy to have all sorts of new relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or