Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM

15 posts, read 11,497 times

Advertisements

I got my DNA results and it says I have Spanish & Portuguese ancestry. I have a few 4th cousins and we share a set of 3rd great grandparents. My 4th cousins are Hispanic and 23 and me says their grandparents are from Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico shows up at No.8 on my list for ancestor birthplaces. Could it be true that my 3rd great grandparents are from Puerto Rico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 10,600,825 times
How much Spanish and Portuguese (%) do you have?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLuvAfterUrPain View Post
I got my DNA results and it says I have Spanish & Portuguese ancestry. I have a few 4th cousins and we share a set of 3rd great grandparents. My 4th cousins are Hispanic and 23 and me says their grandparents are from Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico shows up at No.8 on my list for ancestor birthplaces. Could it be true that my 3rd great grandparents are from Puerto Rico.
Are you talking about actual, confirmed 4th cousins, or is this just the estimated relationship that 23andMe predicts? Because this is very much an estimate, it does not necessarily mean you are actual 4th cousins and sharing actual 3rd great grandparents.

How much DNA you do share with these people?

Old 02-20-2019, 12:17 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,897,873 times
Considering that the Spanish settled Puerto Rico, why would you doubt that you have Puerto Rican ancestry? What do your family stories tell you about your grandparents and great-grands?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 PM

510 posts, read 897,279 times
Not sure of the year of your 3rd Great grandparents birth, but I've have success finding records for my wife's family in Puerto Rico dating back to the late 1800's. If I recall things got murky prior to 1860 or 70, but from then on it was fairly easy. I've used Ancestry and Family search (free). If you know some names, it shouldn't be too hard to trace back, especially since both Spanish surnames were commonly used.

Keep in mind if you are of Puerto Rican decent, you can have many 4th cousins because of the "Island effect". Depends on how far you are removed from Puerto Rico.

As the others stated, just because a DNA test linked you as fourth cousins, the relationship can vary slightly. This is where genealogical research comes into play to prove lineage.

Last edited by fvncresident04; 02-20-2019 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How much Spanish and Portuguese (%) do you have?
on 23 and me I have 1.6%. I uploaded on Gedmatch, I have 6.6%.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Considering that the Spanish settled Puerto Rico, why would you doubt that you have Puerto Rican ancestry? What do your family stories tell you about your grandparents and great-grands?
I guess because I'm new to this genealogy thing. My family never really discussed our background. Now when I was 16 and saw my paternal grandmother for the first time, I always felt she had some hispanic ancestry, she looked exotic. I always thought she was Dominican.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
Not sure of the year of your 3rd Great grandparents birth, but I've have success finding records for my wife's family in Puerto Rico dating back to the late 1800's. If I recall things got murky prior to 1860 or 70, but from then on it was fairly easy. I've used Ancestry and Family search (free). If you know some names, it shouldn't be too hard to trace back, especially since both Spanish surnames were commonly used.

Keep in mind if you are of Puerto Rican decent, you can have many 4th cousins because of the "Island effect". Depends on how far you are removed from Puerto Rico.

As the others stated, just because a DNA test linked you as fourth cousins, the relationship can vary slightly. This is where genealogical research comes into play to prove lineage.
Wow, Thank you. that is great information. I'm going to take a test on Ancestry and see what results I get and build a tree. On 23 and me they said This person was 100% Spanish and Portuguese and likely born between 1750 and 1840.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 AM

510 posts, read 897,279 times
Have you started a tree? DNA is not going to link you with a specific ancestor who has not taken a DNA test. You will have to start a paper trail.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM

23,820 posts, read 33,333,344 times
Quote:
I guess because I'm new to this genealogy thing. My family never really discussed our background. Now when I was 16 and saw my paternal grandmother for the first time, I always felt she had some hispanic ancestry, she looked exotic. I always thought she was Dominican.
I feel your pain. All I knew is both my parents were Hungarian and both their families had been in Hungary for hundreds of years with them being the 1st to come to the US which I found out was not true. My mothers aunts (her mothers sisters) came out and her fathers 3 brothers also came out. I now find out that my dads father had relatives that came out. My uncle has a 2nd cousin in the US. Thankfully he allowed me to test his DNA. My dad passed 13 years ago so getting his DNA was not an option for me. If you have parents alive, it's helpful to get them tested too; it will help you see which side the match is on.

See my thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844 It may save you a headache by not making mistakes I made. While I love My Heritage the most for DNA, they only allow 200 people in a free account tree. I have almost 250, I get a message I have too many but it hasn't removed any people yet.

Quote:
on 23 and me I have 1.6%. I uploaded on Gedmatch, I have 6.6%.
You uploaded to GEDmatch but have you uploaded to My Heritage and FTDNA? Both are free for family matching and both have a charge to get ethnicity and other tools. Note that FTDNA is allowing the FBI to also upload to their database and see exactly what we see. I left my 7 DNA tests there but removed my trees from them. I tell how to do this in the thread I linked to

FTDNA charges $19 for ethnicity which they call my origins, ancient origins and chromosome browser.

I'm unsure how much my heritage charges as it used to be free until mid December for the extra tools. They have not posted prices yet that I've seen. I check their blog every few days.

My Heritage has a lot of neat tools if you do pay. They tell you what country your match lives in, will show family trees and surnames if the match entered them. See the posts below. To go directly to the thread, click the arrow in my quote.

My Heritage like Ancestry has an app. 23 and me and FTDNA do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They spelled out what the plan will be. Pretty much like FTDNA where uploads and matching are free but you have to pay for everything else. My Heritage is saying you'll need a subscription to see family trees and that some premium features will require the subscription too

Quote:
DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features will require an extra payment for DNA results uploaded after this date.

Viewing family trees of your DNA Matches or accessing the 9 billion historical records that are found on MyHeritage is optional and requires a paid subscription plan. Some advanced features in the DNA Match review will also require a subscription, such as viewing matches and ethnicities that you share with your DNA Matches.

You can upload DNA data from Ancestry, Family Tree DNA’s Family Finder test, 23andMe (any versions including v5) or Living DNA. Instructions for exporting your data and uploading it to MyHeritage are provided on our upload page.

Don’t delay uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage now, while all DNA features are free (and they will remain free for you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya · December 16, 2018

Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy