Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 727,762 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand what records may exist related to the construction of a mausoleum circa 1904.
I have looked for a builders stamp on the structure but have not found one. Given it is from the 1904 it may be faded a bit if there ever was such a thing. Ultimately the thing I would like to know is who paid for the mausoleum. I roughly priced out the mausoleum without land, in today’s dollars it would run about 60-80K. So I figure some records may exist, but I have no idea what I may be looking for.

The lots it is set on were purchased as a private transaction and not from the cemetery; the only record I know of simply tells you who originally owned the lots, not who purchased them.

The url below, is a link to a more elaborate structure but it conveys an idea as to what I am referring to (FYI I contacted this company as they are located at the cemetery I am interested in but they had no ideas.)

https://www.troost.com/products/gayl...ausoleum-05064
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM

7,481 posts, read 13,502,993 times
IDK if mausoleums require building permits, but you might try the city or county building dept to see what , if any, records they have.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,151,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
I am trying to understand what records may exist related to the construction of a mausoleum circa 1904.
I have looked for a builders stamp on the structure but have not found one. Given it is from the 1904 it may be faded a bit if there ever was such a thing. Ultimately the thing I would like to know is who paid for the mausoleum. I roughly priced out the mausoleum without land, in today’s dollars it would run about 60-80K. So I figure some records may exist, but I have no idea what I may be looking for.

The lots it is set on were purchased as a private transaction and not from the cemetery; the only record I know of simply tells you who originally owned the lots, not who purchased them.

The url below, is a link to a more elaborate structure but it conveys an idea as to what I am referring to (FYI I contacted this company as they are located at the cemetery I am interested in but they had no ideas.)

https://www.troost.com/products/gayl...ausoleum-05064
Is this a large historical cemetery? I’d look to see if there is a “friends of” group who might know the history. If not, do some research on the family name on the monument.

At a cemetery near where my husband grew up, there was a weird mausoleum that had handcrafted pebble leaves all over it. The family name was Leaf. Turned out they had owned a fancy hotel in a nearby small town, made a lot of money did the mausoleum, father died, son took over business, business failed, family fell on hard times, son died penniless. Hotel and more were torn down for shopping center.

Mausoleum looked like something out of Dark Shadows. Half expected Barnabas Collins to come out of the locked broken front door.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:40 PM

1,417 posts, read 727,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Is this a large historical cemetery? I’d look to see if there is a “friends of” group who might know the history. If not, do some research on the family name on the monument.

At a cemetery near where my husband grew up, there was a weird mausoleum that had handcrafted pebble leaves all over it. The family name was Leaf. Turned out they had owned a fancy hotel in a nearby small town, made a lot of money did the mausoleum, father died, son took over business, business failed, family fell on hard times, son died penniless. Hotel and more were torn down for shopping center.

Mausoleum looked like something out of Dark Shadows. Half expected Barnabas Collins to come out of the locked broken front door.
I have been researching this mausoleum since (drum roll), 1971. Yep...now granted I only got serious about it in the last 17 years or so. I know who is buried in it (finally got the church records released to me as a non-relative) the trouble is even the church has no idea who the person was or who their family was outside of the interred had to be Catholic. I unleashed a bunch of local genealogy societies on it, and no one has come up with anything of substance. They fingered two people I had already concretely proven could not be the suspect. Hence the reason I thought to attack the problem from the out of the box construction angle.

I have reviewed:

All local newspapers and major newspapers for the time around the death
All wedding records for the state, and 4 surrounding counties. All the church records for marriages, births, and parishioners with the surname.
All census records
All real estate records for the surname and sound alikes in the 4 surrounding counties.
All death records for the county and state
Local city directories
School records
Surviving records for the local mortuaries and undertakers at the time
Surviving records for the monument companies at the time
Local prominent family histories
Who's who and significant passing collections for the area

Hypothetically it is fairly easy to surmise what may have happened. The woman interred was 34 years of age and entombed alone. Given she died in 1903, it is easy to imagine this as second marriage that occurred after the 1900 census where one or the other was a wealthy person of means, she likely died in an epidemic or childbirth. Given the cost of the mausoleum it is easy to imagine that any marriage may have occurred in a major east coast city or abroad, hence no local marriage record. The groom may have recently located to the area for business reasons and simply remarried and left the area. That would easily explain the lack of local records for people of such means. Of course all hypothetical but it makes more sense than this being an established local family that no one ever heard of before.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,823,987 times
What was her name? Do you know anything about her besides her age & the year she passed on?

Her surname may be her birth name or her married name?

What a mystery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy