Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
^^^ We don't really know how many other users have the same error in their Thrulines. These trees are changing all the time as people work on them. I had one error that I fixed by deleting the person from my tree but it remains attached in my Thrulines to another person's tree from out of nowhere. I'd like to know where my tree is connected to other people and be able to confirm or refute the connection.
Yet here I have a matching tree to one of my son's 3rd and 4th cousin matches (mother/son) yet Ancestry isn't giving us the thrulines but my heritage has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I'm willing to let it mature a bit but it has some real bugs at this point.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Jumping back onto this thread to see if anyone has any insight on ThurLines. I've added a handful of ancestors that I have found through shared matches and their shared trees. How long have y'all seen it take to get these to pop up as matches? I was hoping this would help connect these matches to our shared ancestors, but no luck as of yet. Or, is this just wishful thinking and my research isn't right in connecting my shared matches?

Example, I see shared matches has a small tree that has three-five people. One of those people has a shared surname. I search that person and see that we have a shared great-grandparent. In my view, this should connect my work of our early ancestors and then shared matches small tree. But, these things haven't popped up. Maybe it takes them a long while to see that these are connected?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:05 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Jumping back onto this thread to see if anyone has any insight on ThurLines. I've added a handful of ancestors that I have found through shared matches and their shared trees. How long have y'all seen it take to get these to pop up as matches?
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks in my experience.

Quote:
I was hoping this would help connect these matches to our shared ancestors, but no luck as of yet. Or, is this just wishful thinking and my research isn't right in connecting my shared matches?

Example, I see shared matches has a small tree that has three-five people. One of those people has a shared surname. I search that person and see that we have a shared great-grandparent. In my view, this should connect my work of our early ancestors and then shared matches small tree. But, these things haven't popped up. Maybe it takes them a long while to see that these are connected?
ThruLines definitely isn't perfect and they are still tweaking it. Keep in mind it's still in beta so it may not always work exactly as it should. Use the Feedback option to report stuff like this.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM

I isn't very helpful when you try to trace back and run into mostly "private" trees or private people who are wrongly assumed to be living after 200 years. I would rather have these connections filtered out. You have to wonder sometimes if a "private" tree with 81,424 people listed in it is in anyway confirmed and by who? They are probably connected to hundreds of people on Thrulines.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks in my experience.

ThruLines definitely isn't perfect and they are still tweaking it. Keep in mind it's still in beta so it may not always work exactly as it should. Use the Feedback option to report stuff like this.
I'm hoping for closer to a week instead of week(s). I will send them a feedback. It took a few days for them to filter out the guy with the same name as my grandfather, but afterwards it worked well. Now, just hoping they get around to finding these new connections.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I isn't very helpful when you try to trace back and run into mostly "private" trees
You can still click on individuals in private trees and see some basic info though. It will list their name and birth data, just as it does when you click on a private tree from search results of family trees (see attached). That has usually been enough for me to find more details on that individual myself through records and confirm the pathway/relationship.

Quote:
or private people who are wrongly assumed to be living after 200 years.
Yes, that's annoying - you can't even see the basic info for living individuals, understandably so, except when they are clearly not living and only wrongly marked as such.

Quote:
I would rather have these connections filtered out.
Well, I would not because like I say, unless they are marked as living I can usually get enough basic info and confirm the pathway myself. In the past, Shared Ancestor Hints didn't even tell us which ancestors we shared - we were completely in the dark with a private tree. ThruLines tells you which ancestors you share and lets you see the number of generations and gender of each generation, and clicking on an individual of any generation will tell you the name and birth data. That's way, way more info than we were given before and I will definitely take it!
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone tried Ancestry's ThruLines?-private-tree-preview.png  

Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I find that the utility is improving. It has eliminated the blank screen problem I was seeing for certain people, and has correctly defined the relationship between my wife, her dad, and two of her 1st cousins once removed on several lines for ancestors as far back as her 2nd great-grandparents.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
i like it, and it will change everyday, its gets deeper and deeper in your tree as time go by

Old 11-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Is everyone getting this same message from Ancestry's ThruLines? I have a tree with over 1000 entries that used to work in ThruLines just fine. Now it doesn't.

You may not be seeing suggestions from ThruLines because there is not enough information in the linked family tree.

Add as much information as you can to the tree, including real full names, birthdates and birth locations for you, your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

After you have added this information to the tree, it will take at least 24 hours for ThruLines to start suggesting common ancestors you might share with your matches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy