U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 563 times

Advertisements

I am Puerto Rican and need to find where is the best place to get DNA testing that will provide ancestry data regarding Puerto Rico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM

8,551 posts, read 13,249,909 times
23andMe are the only company I know of to include a sub-region for Puerto Rico. Keep in mind, the sub-regions don't include percentages and the Puerto Rican sub-region falls under Native American, meaning you would need to be of indigenous descent to get results in this sub-region, not of European or African descent.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,011,185 times
Supposedly Ancestry, back on February 20th, rolled out an update adding over 200+ new regions including 12 in Puerto Rico.

More regions to tell your story in even greater detail

Here are the 12 PR subregions:

Central & Eastern Puerto Rico
Northeastern Puerto Rico
Southeastern Puerto Rico
North Central Puerto Rico
Northwestern Puerto Rico
Northwestern & Central Puerto Rico
Northwestern Coast of Puerto Rico
Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian Puerto Rico
Southwestern Puerto Rico
Southwestern Coast of Puerto Rico
South Central Puerto Rico

Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Supposedly Ancestry, back on February 20th, rolled out an update adding over 200+ new regions including 12 in Puerto Rico.

More regions to tell your story in even greater detail

Here are the 12 PR subregions:

Central & Eastern Puerto Rico
Northeastern Puerto Rico
Southeastern Puerto Rico
North Central Puerto Rico
Northwestern Puerto Rico
Northwestern & Central Puerto Rico
Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian Puerto Rico
Southwestern Puerto Rico
Southwestern Coast of Puerto Rico
South Central Puerto Rico
You're right - but those are listed under Europe, not Native America (which is why I didn't see them), so these are Puerto Rican Genetic Communities of people of European descent. If the OP is Puerto Rican of European descent, this is the better option. If he's of indigenous descent, he would still have to go with 23andMe.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM

616 posts, read 413,441 times
Ancestry now has sub regions.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

509 posts, read 629,456 times
My wife is half Puerto Rican (mother) and half Italian (father). Below are her Ancestry DNA estimates. The first one is the original estimate, the second is the most recent updates. I'm not sure exactly what data you are looking for, but there are records available online that you can search for free. I have had success on Familysearch.com, and of course Ancestry which was not free. Before we did Ancestry DNA, I made a tree and searched for records of her ancestors. I found that my wife's family lived in Mayaguez, so it was no surprise when the DNA linked her to the western part of Puerto Rico. Often combining DNA with historical records paints a broader picture.

Original estimate
Europe South
52%
Southern Italy
Lazio & Campania
Iberian Peninsula
15%
Caucasus
8%
Native American
5%

Low Confidence Regions

European Jewish
4%
Finland/Northwest Russia
3%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales
3%
Europe West
2%
Great Britain
2%
Africa North
2%
Benin/Togo
1%
Middle East
<1%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
<1%
Senegal
<1%

Additional Communities
Puerto Rico
From your regions: Native American
Northwestern Puerto Rico
Southwestern Puerto Rico

Updated Estimate
Italy
66%
Refined from:
Europe South 52%
Spain
12%
Refined from:
Iberian Peninsula 15%
France
10%
Refined from:
Europe West 2%
Native American—North, Central, South
4%
Refined from:
Native American 5%
Portugal
3%
Refined from:
Iberian Peninsula 15%
Benin/Togo
2%
Increased by 1%
European Jewish
1%
Decreased by 3%
Eastern Europe & Russia NEW
1%
Ivory Coast/Ghana NEW
1%
Additional Communities
Southern Italy
Lazio & Campania
Puerto Rico
Northwestern Puerto Rico
Southwestern Puerto Rico
No Longer in Estimate Help
Caucasus 8%
Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 3%
Great Britain 2%
Africa North 2%
Middle East <1%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers <1%
Senegal <1%

Old Today, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You're right - but those are listed under Europe, not Native America (which is why I didn't see them), so these are Puerto Rican Genetic Communities of people of European descent. If the OP is Puerto Rican of European descent, this is the better option. If he's of indigenous descent, he would still have to go with 23andMe.
Indigenous decent comes from the Taino indians. Ancestry does not differentiate between any indigenous American Indians. They just say Native American, throughout all of the Americas. We do know that the Taino were the native people of Puerto Rico. As far as I know, most, if not all, modern day Puerto Ricans will have a mix of European, African, and Native American DNA.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
Indigenous decent comes from the Taino indians. Ancestry does not differentiate between any indigenous American Indians. They just say Native American, throughout all of the Americas. We do know that the Taino were the native people of Puerto Rico. As far as I know, most, if not all, modern day Puerto Ricans will have a mix of European, African, and Native American DNA.
Since the update, AncestryDNA have 2 Native American groups that include a percentage, and several more Genetic Communities, but none of which cover Puerto Rico/Taino tribe.

These include:

Native American - North, Central, South (Genetic Communities: New Mexico; Central & Southern New Mexico; Northern & Central New Mexico; Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Guanajuato & Michoacán; Western & Central Mexico; Central Mexico; Colima & Western Michoacán; Jalisco; Northeastern Michoacán; Northwestern Michoacán; Chihuahua & Durango; Chihuahua Altiplano; Durango; Northeastern Chihuahua & Far West Texas; Northern Chihuahua & Southwest New Mexico; Southeastern Chihuahua; Zacatecas & Aguascalientes; Northwest Mexico & the Southern California Coast; Baja Peninsula & Southern California Coast; Sinaloa; Sonora & Southern Arizona; Northeastern Mexico & South Texas; Coahuila & South Texas; Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas & South Texas; San Luis Potosi, Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon & South Texas; Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon & South Texas; Nuevo Leon, Northern Tamaulipas & South Texas; Nicaragua & Costa Rica; Central America)

Native American - Andean (Genetic Community: Ecuador, Peru & Chile)

There's also a few South American Migrations: Colombians; Colombians & Ecuadorians; Spaniards, Cubans, Dominicans, & Venezuelans (with two break downs of Dominicans; and Spaniards, Cubans, & Venezuelans).

Old Today, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Since the update, AncestryDNA have 2 Native American groups that include a percentage, and several more Genetic Communities, but none of which cover Puerto Rico/Taino tribe.

These include:

Native American - North, Central, South (Genetic Communities: New Mexico; Central & Southern New Mexico; Northern & Central New Mexico; Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Guanajuato & Michoacán; Western & Central Mexico; Central Mexico; Colima & Western Michoacán; Jalisco; Northeastern Michoacán; Northwestern Michoacán; Chihuahua & Durango; Chihuahua Altiplano; Durango; Northeastern Chihuahua & Far West Texas; Northern Chihuahua & Southwest New Mexico; Southeastern Chihuahua; Zacatecas & Aguascalientes; Northwest Mexico & the Southern California Coast; Baja Peninsula & Southern California Coast; Sinaloa; Sonora & Southern Arizona; Northeastern Mexico & South Texas; Coahuila & South Texas; Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas & South Texas; San Luis Potosi, Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon & South Texas; Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon & South Texas; Nuevo Leon, Northern Tamaulipas & South Texas; Nicaragua & Costa Rica; Central America)

Native American - Andean (Genetic Community: Ecuador, Peru & Chile)

There's also a few South American Migrations: Colombians; Colombians & Ecuadorians; Spaniards, Cubans, Dominicans, & Venezuelans (with two break downs of Dominicans; and Spaniards, Cubans, & Venezuelans).
Thanks. I did not know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or