Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help in tracing my Grandmother's sister. My mother who is 95 this year is wondering what happened to her Aunt.

She was born Annie Hindley on 8th Dec 1894 in Manchester UK at some point, we don't know when, she emigrated to Cleveland Ohio. We know she had something to do with real estate. I remember as a child in the 1950's she used to send me the funny pages from the US newspapers as we didn't have anything like that at the time over here. I can also remember her coming here in the early 1960's for a visit and complaining how small our cars were

Other than that we don't know much more, we are guessing she moved there between the wars but don't know why. My Mother doesn't think she was a war bride and although she thinks she may well have married she has either forgotten or not aware if she did.

I've spent a few months tine permitting to check the usual sites passenger lists etc etc but keep coming up blank. As I said earlier my Mother is 95 this year and time is slipping away so if anyone can offer suggestions of anywhere to check or look at we would be grateful ......Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Silk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:12 PM

23,839 posts, read 33,404,634 times
Hopefully someone with an ancestry subscription will come by to see if they can find her in their records.

You should also consider doing DNA at Ancestry then upload it to my heritage and FTDNA for free family matching. You may luck out by getting a DNA match with one of her offspring. I have directions here Family tree and DNA general instructions. Scroll down to Now to the DNA

The only database you wouldn't be in would be 23 and me

Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,833,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk_UK View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help in tracing my Grandmother's sister. My mother who is 95 this year is wondering what happened to her Aunt.

She was born Annie Hindley on 8th Dec 1894 in Manchester UK at some point, we don't know when, she emigrated to Cleveland Ohio. We know she had something to do with real estate. I remember as a child in the 1950's she used to send me the funny pages from the US newspapers as we didn't have anything like that at the time over here. I can also remember her coming here in the early 1960's for a visit and complaining how small our cars were

Other than that we don't know much more, we are guessing she moved there between the wars but don't know why. My Mother doesn't think she was a war bride and although she thinks she may well have married she has either forgotten or not aware if she did.

I've spent a few months tine permitting to check the usual sites passenger lists etc etc but keep coming up blank. As I said earlier my Mother is 95 this year and time is slipping away so if anyone can offer suggestions of anywhere to check or look at we would be grateful ......Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Silk

Found her.

Social Security Death Index

Name: Annie Haynes SSN: 283-05-5273

Last Residence: 44130 Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Born: 8 Dec 1894

Died: Oct 1985
State (Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951)

Annie H Haynes in the Ohio, Death Records, 1908-1932, 1938-2007
Name: Annie H Haynes

Birth Date: 1894

Race: White

Residence Place: Strongsville, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States

Death Date: 30 Oct 1985

Hospital of Death: Long-Term Care Facilities

Death Place: Medina, Medina, Ohio, USA

Certificate: 077680

Age at Death: 91

Certifier: Physician

Autopsy: Yes, used for certification

Social Security Number: 283-05-5273

Marital status: Widowed

Industry of Decedent: Real estate, including real estate
-insurance-law offices

Occupation of Decedent: Real estate sales occupations

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Annie Haynes in the New York State, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1917-1967

Year of birth off by one year here. She is going to Cleveland, Ohio. Her permanent address is given as 6592 Pearl Road, Cleveland. She boarded her Pan Am flight in London. She is listed as an American, so she must have naturalized by 1960. So, we still do not know the year she arrived for the first time.

Name: Annie Haynes Nationality: American

Arrival Age: 64

Birth Date: 8 Dec 1895

Birth Place: Manchester Eng

Arrival Date: 4 Sep 1960

Arrival Place: New York, New York, USA

Destination: New York

Airline: PAN American

Flight Number: 101

Old 04-02-2019, 09:43 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,499,468 times
Name: Annie Haynes
Race/Nationality: English
Birth Place: Manchester
Birth Country: England
Arrival Date: 4 Jul 1919
Port of Arrival: Buffalo, New York, USA

1930 US census

Name: Anna Haynes
[Anna Hayne]
Birth Year: abt 1896
Birthplace: England
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Homemaker?: Yes
Home in 1930: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Map of Home: View Map
Street address: W 111th St
Ward of City: 1
Block: 150
House Number: 3250
Dwelling Number: 10
Family Number: 12
Age at first Marriage: 21
Attended School: No
Able to Read and Write: Yes
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Language Spoken: English
Immigration Year: 1919
Naturalization: Alien
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Department Store
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker
Employment: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Alfred Haynes 35
Anna Haynes 34

info about Alfred:
Name: Alfred Haynes
[Alfred Hayne]
Birth Year: abt 1895
Birthplace: England
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1930: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
Map of Home: View Map
Street address: W 111th St
Ward of City: 1
Block: 150
House Number: 3250
Dwelling Number: 10
Family Number: 12
Home Owned or Rented: Rented
Home Value: 38
Radio Set: Yes
Lives on Farm: No
Age at first Marriage: 22
Attended School: No
Able to Read and Write: Yes
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Language Spoken: English
Immigration Year: 1919
Naturalization: Alien
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Body Factory
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker
Employment: Yes

Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 PM

This may be Annie & Alfred's marriage in England 1916.
Found at freebmd.org

Marriages Sep 1916
surname........ surname ................district
Haynes Alfred Hindley Annie ......Barton I. 8c1172

Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 PM

1940 census
11506 Mathilda Ave., Cleveland, Ohio
Alfred & Anna Haynes, both born England
Neither are naturalized
Alfred is a press operator, airplane parts
Anna is a stock clerk, oil refinery

In 1930 & 1940 census, they had no children living with them.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 AM

Hi everyone,
I wasn't expecting such a quick response, many many thanks for your responses I'm very grateful and my mother is going to be thrilled by it and will look at it in more detail when I get in this evening.

I very much appreciate the time and trouble you've taken to investigate and reply to this it means a lot and will try and post again later

Kind Regards
Silk

Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,499,468 times
Naturalized citizenship in 1954.
Birth Date: 1895
Birth Place: England
Naturalization Date: 1954
Naturalization Place: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States

Issue Date: 31 Aug 1954
State: Ohio
Locality, Court: Cleveland, District Court
No. 7331285

This District court should have the naturalization file in its archives. Naturalization files created in county courts should have remained there--not deposited in National archives.

They entered US at Buffalo, New York from Canada in 1919.

Last edited by historyfan; 04-03-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Many many thanks again !!!

I printed off the thread this morning and showed it to my mum, as expected she was thrilled to read it.

The problem we now have of course is that it's starting to throw up more questions and makes us realise how much we are missing in the puzzle.
For example ...whilst my Mum thought that Annie was married she assumed she had married an American and didn't realise she had married a Brit over here before she went Whilst it's understandable as my Mother wasn't born for another 11 years after the marriage and 8 years after Annie was already in the States she wonders why the family didn't talk about it ? Perhaps the family didn't approve?

By standards of the day here in Manchester Annie and my Grandmother were reasonably well off the family business was as coal merchants a thriving business at the time. I remember stories my grandmother told at the time of collecting gold sovereigns that had fallen out of her brothers pockets when they were drunk and keeping them in a bag under her pillow

We've got no idea who this Alfred was or what he did or how they met etc. So decided to try and do some research this end on who he was etc. and see if I can find any relatives over here to spread some light on it.

We assume that Alfred and Annie had no children which makes us wonder how she managed in her later years and worried us if she died alone with no one round her, I suppose we will never know. Interesting that Annie died the same age as my Grandmother 91 !

Many thanks once again and back on soon.

Kind Regards
Silk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy