Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times

Advertisements

I recently completed reading Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. A true story, the book begins with her DNA discovery that her deceased father was not her biological father. The story wasn't exactly what I expected, but she is an accomplished author and it is very well written. Once I started, I found it hard to put down. For anyone who has experienced that situation, or one similar, I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 PM

672 posts, read 502,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I recently completed reading Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. A true story, the book begins with her DNA discovery that her deceased father was not her biological father. The story wasn't exactly what I expected, but she is an accomplished author and it is very well written. Once I started, I found it hard to put down. For anyone who has experienced that situation, or one similar, I highly recommend it.
Sounds interesting., I will have it check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Griffeth (CNBC Host) wrote a similar book several baack. He did a Y-DNA test for his cousin and it turned out the man that raised him was not his biological father. It was a great read

These kind of stories are becoming very common in the age of genetic genealogy. Women have always been just as unfaithful as Men. I have read that we only have to go back 100-200 years in our family tree to find at least one NPE. I have found one in a direct ancestral line so far. Non-paternity events (or false-paternity) happen at a rate of 1-2% per generation

Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

Since that's exactly what happened to me I will have to read that book. Thanks for recommending it. I have a hunch there are a LOT of people out there who might be surprised about their parentage. I doubt I'll ever know who my bio dad was but I'll always be curious.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Since that's exactly what happened to me I will have to read that book. Thanks for recommending it. I have a hunch there are a LOT of people out there who might be surprised about their parentage.
Agree; we're gonna be seeing a lot more people that will be surprised. I'm so thankful my dad eventually agreed to give me a paternity test because I don't know how I would have waited 5+ years to do Ancestry with my uncle. I'm not big on facebook but every day I run across Ancestry, My Heritage and FTDNA posts that are sponsored. There are usually a few people posting that their results are wrong because they're not DNA matching certain family members. Some people explain it to them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I doubt I'll ever know who my bio dad was but I'll always be curious.
Did you upload to all of the sites? I don't recall if you're male or female. If you're a male you can try a Y-DNA test at FTDNA to see if it will give you your fathers last name. It's on sale for $129, down from $170.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
I have a pretty well-developed tree on Ancestry. I am constantly amazed at how many DNA matches I have at the 4th cousin level that I do not recognize at all. Even more so, those who are matched at the 3rd-4th cousin level who also have huge trees. Something's going on there!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I have a pretty well-developed tree on Ancestry. I am constantly amazed at how many DNA matches I have at the 4th cousin level that I do not recognize at all. Even more so, those who are matched at the 3rd-4th cousin level who also have huge trees. Something's going on there!
Remember that estimated 4th cousins are actually estimated 4th-6th cousins. That means you could share 5th great grandparents.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Sounds interesting., I will have it check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Griffeth (CNBC Host) wrote a similar book several baack. He did a Y-DNA test for his cousin and it turned out the man that raised him was not his biological father. It was a great read

These kind of stories are becoming very common in the age of genetic genealogy. Women have always been just as unfaithful as Men. I have read that we only have to go back 100-200 years in our family tree to find at least one NPE. I have found one in a direct ancestral line so far. Non-paternity events (or false-paternity) happen at a rate of 1-2% per generation
'

I would not say that women were "unfaithful" in all cases. There were many instances of a nice young man stepping up to marry a young girl who got "in trouble" by someone else. This was a common situation. A better term is "non paternal event" or NPE. It covers unfaithfulness, adoption and the situation I just described quite well without casting aspersions on the woman in relation to her fidelity to her husband.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM

672 posts, read 502,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
'

I would not say that women were "unfaithful" in all cases. There were many instances of a nice young man stepping up to marry a young girl who got "in trouble" by someone else. This was a common situation. A better term is "non paternal event" or NPE. It covers unfaithfulness, adoption and the situation I just described quite well without casting aspersions on the woman in relation to her fidelity to her husband.
You are right. This is the case of one of my Paternal great-grandfather. His biological father was never around and his stepfather (who name heh took) raise him though our Family knew. He in turned raise my grandma oldest brother who was born 5 months before my great-grandparents married. I only recently found out that My grandma older brother (oldest of 12) was not a full brother from a DNA Match who is a daughter of his.

I think when NPE was first termed it was implied to mean infidelity but over time has come to mean other things like adoption.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:12 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
'

No. I will never put a person that opens their home to someone through adoption in the same category as a cheating spouse.

There were some cases that you described but I certainly wouldn't use the word many and it wasn't common.

There is no room for PC in genealogy. Call it it what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy