Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That might be what they are already doing - they might be blocking any access of LE login to those kits who have opted out. So even if they get their list of opted-in kit numbers, and run a one-to-many on those opted-in kit numbers, it would still only list those which have opted in, none that have opted out. I don't know that that's the case, but it could be.

Or maybe we'll finally see them move towards people only be able to run tools on their own kits in their own account, like every other company does. We'll have to wait and see - but Gedmatch are showing that they want to protect people's privacy so this is at least a step in the right direction, even if it isn't perfect yet, I'm sure we'll continue to see updates and improvements as they trial and error methods.
I sure hope not. This is THE reason I use GEDmatch. It should be for people who are comfortable contributing to the public database for research. There are plenty of options for those who wish to have more privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Is the DNA Doe Project considered "law enforcement"? It sounds like they work with law enforcement but the founders are not law enforcement and the organization is not law enforcement. So I'm not totally sure the law enforcement rules apply to the Doe Project?
I asked my friends. DDP is representing LE so are considered the same

Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I have never been in trouble with the law so I don't mind if they give my DNA to law enforcement.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I asked my friends. DDP is representing LE so are considered the same
Good to know, thanks.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have never been in trouble with the law so I don't mind if they give my DNA to law enforcement.
They aren't even really "giving your DNA" to law enforcement anyway - by opting in, you're only allowing LE to see if you share any DNA with their criminal or victim samples. It's not like LE has possession of your DNA - maybe that's not what you meant but I just wanted to clarify. However, by opting in and allowing them to see if you do share any DNA with criminal or victim samples, it does mean that even if you've never committed a serious crime, if someone you're related to has, you may be the conduit that leads LE to your relative. You may be okay with that too (I am) but not everyone is.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Good to know, thanks.
I don't think they should be in the same category as LE because they're giving people back their name. Hopefully at some point they'll won't be.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't think they should be in the same category as LE because they're giving people back their name. Hopefully at some point they'll won't be.
Yeah but by identifying the victims, LE are in a better position to find a suspect. I still don't fully understand why people have a problem with that, but I agree participation should be optional. I just wish everyone understood that it's not just about hunting criminals, it's also about identifying victims and missing persons.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Yeah but by identifying the victims, LE are in a better position to find a suspect. I still don't fully understand why people have a problem with that, but I agree participation should be optional. I just wish everyone understood that it's not just about hunting criminals, it's also about identifying victims and missing persons.
You can't pick and choose how LE will use your GEDmatch results. I'm not opposed to the idea of LE using this technology if they are willing to pay for it themselves. Let them go into communities and offer free DNA testing and free tree-building to people as an incentive to grow a database for the purpose of solving crimes or identifying victims. I'm just turned off by the assumption that people who paid for DNA tests for their own personal genealogical reasons years ago should be expected to submit their results along with their genealogy to LE for different purposes. I don't have that much trust in LE to not abuse that power now or in the future.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I noticed that GEDmatch Genesis doesn't have the full compliment of admix calculators anymore. They have one per catagory. So no K36 for Eurogenes. No K16 for MDLP, and so forth.

This would be a big step backwards, and hope it is yet another "beta glitch" that is going to be fixed. At this point, I am not sure though. I strongly feel GEDmatch is going to put more and more behind the paywall.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You can't pick and choose how LE will use your GEDmatch results. I'm not opposed to the idea of LE using this technology if they are willing to pay for it themselves. Let them go into communities and offer free DNA testing and free tree-building to people as an incentive to grow a database for the purpose of solving crimes or identifying victims. I'm just turned off by the assumption that people who paid for DNA tests for their own personal genealogical reasons years ago should be expected to submit their results along with their genealogy to LE for different purposes. I don't have that much trust in LE to not abuse that power now or in the future.
I agree. I don't trust them to not abuse it either; that's part of why I'm hesitating to say yes. I'm glad GEDmatch finally gave people the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I noticed that GEDmatch Genesis doesn't have the full compliment of admix calculators anymore. They have one per catagory. So no K36 for Eurogenes. No K16 for MDLP, and so forth.

This would be a big step backwards, and hope it is yet another "beta glitch" that is going to be fixed. At this point, I am not sure though. I strongly feel GEDmatch is going to put more and more behind the paywall.
Wow! That sucks! I had to log in to see it. Wonder why they did that and if they're there as a pay option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy