Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,345,014 times

Advertisements

Just noticed this morning logging into GEDmatch that they now have an opt-in option for participating in law enforcement matching. All kits have been set to "opt-out" and you must manually opt-in if you want to participate.

This is the smart thing to do. I wish they had done this from the beginning when law enforcement first starting using GEDmatch. Personally I'm not going to opt in for any of my kits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 AM

23,837 posts, read 33,385,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Just noticed this morning logging into GEDmatch that they now have an opt-in option for participating in law enforcement matching. All kits have been set to "opt-out" and you must manually opt-in if you want to participate.

This is the smart thing to do. I wish they had done this from the beginning when law enforcement first starting using GEDmatch. Personally I'm not going to opt in for any of my kits.
I was just coming to post about it lol
Article by the legal genealogist GEDmatch reverses course

https://genesis.gedmatch.com

Quote:
There are 4 classes of DNA data on this Site: 'Private', 'Research', 'Public + opt-in' and 'Public + opt-out'. You may be asked to select which category you want to be in when you upload your DNA data. If you ever want to change the category, use the pencil icon link next to the kit number on your home page.

'Private' DNA data is not available for comparisons with other people. It may be usable in some utilities that do not depend on comparisons with other DNA.

'Public + opt-in' DNA data is available for comparison to any Raw Data in the GEDmatch database using the various tools provided for that purpose.

'Public + opt-out' DNA data is available for comparison to any Raw Data in the GEDmatch database, except DNA kits identified as being uploaded for Law Enforcement purposes.

Comparison results, including your kit number, name (or alias), and email will be displayed for 'Public' kits that share DNA with the kit being used to make the comparison, except that kits identified as being uploaded for Law Enforcement purposes will only be matched with kits that have 'opted-in'.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-20-2019 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 17,796,357 times
Great news! I've opted in.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM

After you accept the new terms it takes you to your home page. At the top it says this:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, ALL DNA KITS DEFAULT TO BE OPTED-OUT OF MATCHING BY LAW ENFORCEMENT. YOU CAN SET A KIT TO OPT-IN FOR MATCHING BY LAW ENFORCEMENT BY CLICKING ON THE "POLICE" OR "PENCIL" ICONS TO THE RIGHT OF THE KIT NUMBER ON THIS PAGE, IF YOU DESIRE TO DO SO.

Unlike FTDNA which defaults to on when you have matching on.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,637,227 times
But can we talk about the very bottom of the update?

Quote:
We may update the GEDmatch.Com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy at any time. We will inform you of updates by emailing you at the email address you have provided to GEDmatch, and/or by posting an announcement on the Site. You agree to review the updated terms and policy, and by continuing to use the Site after we have emailed you or posted a notice on the Site about the update, you accept the changes to the GEDmatch.Com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
I underlined the removed pieces.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 AM

8,244 posts, read 8,591,646 times
I don't use GED match but I would opt in if I could.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,345,014 times
I posted on the Legal Genealogist's blog that LE can probably search their kits against the opt-in database, and then take matches they find there and search those against the general database including all the opted out kits. What's to stop them? As long as they aren't searching the LE kits directly against those who've opted out. She replied that "we haven't seen exactly how this is going to work." Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out? I think the only real solution is to have two separate databases that can't speak to each other. People who want to opt in should have a different kit number in each database so their kit can't be searched in the opt-out database.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I posted on the Legal Genealogist's blog that LE can probably search their kits against the opt-in database, and then take matches they find there and search those against the general database including all the opted out kits. What's to stop them? As long as they aren't searching the LE kits directly against those who've opted out. She replied that "we haven't seen exactly how this is going to work." Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out? I think the only real solution is to have two separate databases that can't speak to each other. People who want to opt in should have a different kit number in each database so their kit can't be searched in the opt-out database.
That might be what they are already doing - they might be blocking any access of LE login to those kits who have opted out. So even if they get their list of opted-in kit numbers, and run a one-to-many on those opted-in kit numbers, it would still only list those which have opted in, none that have opted out. I don't know that that's the case, but it could be.

Or maybe we'll finally see them move towards people only be able to run tools on their own kits in their own account, like every other company does. We'll have to wait and see - but Gedmatch are showing that they want to protect people's privacy so this is at least a step in the right direction, even if it isn't perfect yet, I'm sure we'll continue to see updates and improvements as they trial and error methods.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I was talking to my friend who helps DNA Doe Project. This will seriously hurt them, especially with people that are deceased or can't log in for whatever reason; they've lost all of those matches.

I don't doubt they'd do something like what you're saying since they'd have an opt in kit number that they can go on another device with a different log in and search that way. Easy work around for anyone determined to find matches.

I wish that LE opting was different then Doe matching. I personally haven't opted in with any of my kits yet. I'm going to have to speak to my kids about their DNA to let them make that call. At My Heritage, my uncle in Hungary has over 600 matches here (US). I have to check GEDmatch to see what kind of matches he has there because I don't think I've even looked since uploading. There's no way I can have my friend translate specifics to him. He barely understood doing his DNA because he know he's Hungarian.

I have no problem giving DNA Doe Project (or my friend) my kit numbers but that takes them time to sift thru

Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was talking to my friend who helps DNA Doe Project. This will seriously hurt them, especially with people that are deceased or can't log in for whatever reason; they've lost all of those matches.
Is the DNA Doe Project considered "law enforcement"? It sounds like they work with law enforcement but the founders are not law enforcement and the organization is not law enforcement. So I'm not totally sure the law enforcement rules apply to the Doe Project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy